Author Topic: [SOLVED] Networking not working In Virtual Box  (Read 4787 times)

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Networking not working In Virtual Box
« on: January 31, 2024, 07:12:13 pm »
For some reason in my virtual machine (new) Networking does not work. the system set it up for an Intel network card while the card is a Realtek.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 03:11:07 am by Martin Iturbide »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Networking not working In Virtual Box
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 09:10:39 pm »
Hello Eugene.

Feel free to post the picture of you networking settings on the VirtualBox host.

- Which OS is your VirtualBox host ? Windows, or are you using the older VirtualBox Host for OS/2?
- If OS/2-ArcaOS is the guest. Does it gives you a booting error that does not recognize the card?

In my case I have a Windows 11 Host, the Guest OS is presented with an "Intel PRO 1000" card, and ArcaOS 5.1 loads the "MMLEM.OS2" driver on boot. (picture attached)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 04:30:21 pm »
My host is the same Windows 11 and card show up as the same one. I am sorry for the late reply as just got out of the hospital.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 02:33:17 pm »
Hi Eugene.

- Does ArcaOS (or OS/2) complains that he can not find IP, some DHCP message waiting, when it boots as a guest?
- Which network river is installed on the OS/2 guest?
- Did it used to work in the past and suddenly stopped working? or it never worked from the start?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 06:26:48 pm »
Martin, thanks for the response but I got it working.

david.l.hart

• View Profile
    • https://oscollector.wordpress.com/
Re: [SOLVED] Networking not working In Virtual Box
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 03:04:03 am »
I have a site called OS Collector at https://oscollector.wordpress.com/  where I have shared virtualbox settings for many of my Virtualbox VMs.

Each OS has a screen shot of the Virtualbox settings.  In most cases things are pretty straight forward but I have some interesting OS installs including OS/2 V1 up to ArcaOS 5.1, Mac Rhapsody, Unixware, DesqviewX and more.

Some of these do not work on any network since there is no driver but there was a time when we had no network  :o

It also has some tips to get some of things to work in VrtualBox.

Enjoy.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 05:15:15 am »
Hi David
I have a site called OS Collector at https://oscollector.wordpress.com/  where I have shared virtualbox settings for many of my Virtualbox VMs.

That's a very nice site. I guess you already know that some time ago we tried to do some empty OVAs for ArcaOS 5.0. Maybe you can include those on your site. Those empty OVAs helps the user to create an empty VM in VirtualBox, but with all the VM setting already in place.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

david.l.hart

• View Profile
    • https://oscollector.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 07:39:29 pm »
I guess I forgot about that.  Wordpress doesn't have a way to host files directly so I put them on a google drive and shared it from the page.  There is a VirtualBox blank template OVA for ArcaOS 5.x.  This template should work for most any OS2 version from Warp 3 up to ArcaOS 5.1.

the Template appliance has some info in the VM description on adjusting some settings for each host machine.

I know that when I first installed many operating systems using VirtualBox Networking was a problem and it seemed that switching from NAT to bridged fixed some of those.

Time permitting I can add some other appliances for abandoned software.  There are archives around that have the installs for many operating systems.

The link to the OVA template with good settings is on the page https://oscollector.wordpress.com/arcaos-5-1-x/ after the screen shot of the VM settings.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 07:42:20 pm by david.l.hart »

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2024, 01:10:27 pm »
I do not know if this is related, but after installing tons of programs onto a virtual ArcaOS 5.1 that I just reinstalled, I found the two following problems:
  • The PATH and LIBPATH, still limited in size in config.sys, quickly go over their maximum length. It has been the same for ages, but I would be grateful if a good programmer (which I am not) could make a program into which one enters folder names that should be part of libpath (especially), then another folder for collecting all libraries, and then the program picks up all these libraries, copies them to that collection folder, favors newer versions when two files have the same name, or even prevents some files from being copied if they are known to create conflicts. But that is an entirely different topic.
  • As mentioned on the old HPFS386 topic that I have to resurrect, some usual folders / files required for HPFS386 are missing. Again, not the same topic.
  • Now let's get to the topic at hand. I did not have any network. Somehow the different interfaces are present / installed with one of them activated for DHCP, but there is no DHCPSTRT starting automatically. And yet I did install networking.. Starting DHCPSTRT by hand after getting to the WPS works, but why the heck is it not started during boot-up time? Could anyone tell me exactly how their DHCPSTRT line looks like in their config.sys ?

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 02:42:02 pm »
I do not know if this is related, but after installing tons of programs onto a virtual ArcaOS 5.1 that I just reinstalled, I found the two following problems:
  • The PATH and LIBPATH, still limited in size in config.sys, quickly go over their maximum length. It has been the same for ages, but I would be grateful if a good programmer (which I am not) could make a program into which one enters folder names that should be part of libpath (especially), then another folder for collecting all libraries, and then the program picks up all these libraries, copies them to that collection folder, favors newer versions when two files have the same name, or even prevents some files from being copied if they are known to create conflicts. But that is an entirely different topic.
  • As mentioned on the old HPFS386 topic that I have to resurrect, some usual folders / files required for HPFS386 are missing. Again, not the same topic.
  • Now let's get to the topic at hand. I did not have any network. Somehow the different interfaces are present / installed with one of them activated for DHCP, but there is no DHCPSTRT starting automatically. And yet I did install networking.. Starting DHCPSTRT by hand after getting to the WPS works, but why the heck is it not started during boot-up time? Could anyone tell me exactly how their DHCPSTRT line looks like in their config.sys ?

1. The path and libpath length will not be modified, put it simple OS limitation. If you want to use extended paths for development stuff. You need to use beginpath and beginlibpath.
2. I did not read this topic. But you might need to disable earlymeminit=true in the config.sys, I am not 100% is HPFS386 works with that setting on. Warning however. Switching this option off can result in drivers such as ACPI.PSD, UNIAUD ETC not loading. Switching this option off reduces the amount of RAM for loading kernel  and drivers to about 16 MB of RAM. Which can result in system crashes!
3. Check \mptn\bin\setup.cmd
That gets loaded from the config.sys.

Roderick Klein

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 02:52:37 pm »
Starting DHCPSTRT by hand after getting to the WPS works, but why the heck is it not started during boot-up time? Could anyone tell me exactly how their DHCPSTRT line looks like in their config.sys ?[/li][/list]

dhcpstrt is not in config.sys but inside ?:\mptn\bin\setup.cmd:

dhcpstrt -i lan0 0d 0

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 04:38:46 pm »
    Starting DHCPSTRT by hand after getting to the WPS works, but why the heck is it not started during boot-up time? Could anyone tell me exactly how their DHCPSTRT line looks like in their config.sys ?[/li][/list]

dhcpstrt is not in config.sys but inside ?:\mptn\bin\setup.cmd:

dhcpstrt -i lan0 0d 0

That is weird, because dhcpstrt is indeed present in this setup file... yet if I do not start it manually once the WPS has loaded, the DHCP monitor is empty with a message that DHCP has not been started..

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 04:49:49 pm »
    You should have a line like,
    Code: [Select]
    CALL=X:\OS2\CMD.EXE /Q /C X:\MPTN\BIN\MPTSTART.CMD >NULin config.sys with MPTSTART.CMD calling X:\MPTN\BIN\SETUP.cmd

Pete2

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 03, 2024, 07:47:33 pm »
    @Glenn: re length of PATH and LIBPATH. Many programs add their own directory to the system path so you can start them from the command line. If you will only ever use a program object you can remove this entry from PATH; if there's a LIBPATH entry you can remove this and add a BEGINLIBPATH setting to the program object. If you do want to start the program from a command line, one workaround is to create a batch file which can go somewhere in your PATH, which can set BEGINLIBPATH and launch the program. e.g.if foo.exe installs into c:`programs\foo and puts its DLLs in c:\programs\foo\lib, foo.cmd could be

@echo off
    set BEGINLIBPATH=c:\programs\foo\lib
    c:\programs\foo.exe %1

(I expect this isn't the best you can do - maybe others will correct.)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 04, 2024, 12:13:01 am »
    Always good to leave the possibility to chain commands.

@echo off
    set BEGINLIBPATH=c:\programs\foo\lib;%BEGINLIBPATH%
    c:\programs\foo.exe %1
    exit