Author Topic: Windows Key - Custom Key Combination  (Read 665 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Windows Key - Custom Key Combination
« on: March 28, 2024, 03:14:41 pm »
Hello

I wanted to try to some keyboard combinations to do some actions on ArcaOS.

My goal, as a example, I want to make the "Win-Lef key + E" combination to open a folder on an specific location and show that folder on the desktop, like opening C:\TEMP.

First I tried on the "Folder Hotkeys" on the "Workplace Shell" settings. I can map the Win-Left key, but I can not add an extra key like  "Win-Lef key + E".
If I map "Win-Lef key" alone, it works for the functions, but I have to select a folder in the desktop, and it will open or close it. But it is not exactly what I'm looking for.

Then I tried the XWorkplace Keyboard settings on the "Functions Key" tab. But I don't understand how to use it yet. I don't know how to get a key combination there, and later how to use it.

And later I tried the "Keyboard - Windows Key" settings. The Windows Key also works there, but I don't have an option to open an specific folder.

Any ideas are appreciated to get my goal.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 03:19:04 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Windows Key - Custom Key Combination
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 07:57:27 pm »
Hi Martin,

Have you tried using win95key to do what you want?  There are quite a number of options there.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 02:56:08 am »
Hi Ivan

I tried Win95Key according to your advice. It is interesting, I didn't recall using it on the past even that the name is very familiar.
It worked for me to put the "open folder" command on the LWin button. But I can not make a combination like LWin+E. It only allows combination with Ctrl, Alt or Shift as far as I tested it.

It has some issues that sometimes the configuration screen crashed with you press Windows keys. But I will keep looking, any feedback is welcome.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 02:59:46 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 07:23:15 pm »
Hi Martin,

Have you tried using win95key to do what you want?  There are quite a number of options there.

Perfect...you beat me to it ivan...I just responded to Martin's XWP thread with the same suggestion!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 10:05:44 pm »
Hello, thanks for the feedback.

I think I found the way with Win95Key to use "LWin" and "RWin" as "Modifier Keys" (That means I can use them in a combination of keys).

On "PM Config" of Win95Key, I registered the two keys as "modifiers" (Picture 001), but the "PM Config" application is very buggy and crashes a lot here in my ArcaOS 5.1 VM (Error Pic).

But after trying several times I accomplished my goal with Win95Key. (Picture 002)

Regards
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 01:35:35 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster