Author Topic: Completing Warp 4.5 install  (Read 9050 times)

Meeko

Completing Warp 4.5 install
« on: February 14, 2015, 04:05:36 am »
I installed Warp 4.0 as a VirtualBox guest on a Linux host, and I have installed the following:
  • XR_M015 (Fixpack 15)
  • XR_D002 (Device Driver Fixpack 2
  • WR_8423 (MPTS)
  • WR_8425 (MPTS)
  • UN_0980 (TCP/IP)
  • IP_8414 (IBM Peer)
  • WR_08610 (MPTS)
  • WR_08620 (MPTS)
  • WR_08621 (MPTS)
  • gradd97 (video)
  • Daniela's HDD and CD drivers
  • FreeJFS 1.1
  • usbhcd197
  • libc 0.6.6
  • emx 0.9d
  • vrobj.dll
  • WarpIN 1.0.19 (had to install 0.9.20 first)
  • Info-Zip zip and unzip
  • VirtualBox guest additions

Am I missing anything important?

I removed the Java that came with Warp 4.0. I have IBM Java 1.1.8 downloaded, although I doubt there is much point in installing it.

I installed Netscape though it seems to be barely usable. And I installed Opera 5 which is somewhat more usable.

I have Acrobat Reader 3.0 downloaded. Not sure how useful it would be now.

StarOffice is downloaded. I have not had a chance to install it yet. eCUPS is also on the to-do list.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Completing Warp 4.5 install
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 05:12:29 am »
A newer kernel? I believe 104a is the newest available for free.
For applications there are lots of stuff, newer Firefox/SeaMonkey/Thunderbird, currently at 24esr level, OpenJava 6, Qt4 along with lots of Qt apps ranging from browsers to PDF viewer, OpenOffice, available at the same level as everyone else, various libraries needed for most of the above and I'm sure more.
Not sure I'd trust FreeJFS too far, costs $50 for the most up to date JFS along with a few other updates such as newer USB. HPFS is pretty good as long as you don't mind the limit on partition size and slow chkdsk.
Can look up URLs if needed.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 10:58:18 am »
Replace the gradd97 with the free SNAP video (SNAP-os2-3.1.8.exe , the free reg code should be available from the same place)

To do anything I think you will find that you will be missing a lot of DLLs (we have a collection of nearly 90 that are needed and are extra to the base install.

If you want to run any java applications you will most probably need openjava 1.6 and I would add Xworkplace to your list.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 04:30:00 pm »

I removed the Java that came with Warp 4.0. I have IBM Java 1.1.8 downloaded, although I doubt there is much point in installing it.

Java 1.1.8 is actually useful at times, it is a excellent implementation and some older Java software refuses to work or is buggy on newer versions, I keep Java 1.1.8, java 1.3 and Java 6 all installed, make 6 the default and then with try out which one works best, for frequently updated programs Java 6 is often the only option but for instance NetRexx works better with 1.1.8 and 1.3 than with 6 although a couple of functions are missing under 1.1.8.

I notice that you installed the vbox additions, if you are running under vbox you should use the vbox video driver and not SNAP or gengradd.

Meeko

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 05:09:11 pm »
A newer kernel? I believe 104a is the newest available for free.
For applications there are lots of stuff, newer Firefox/SeaMonkey/Thunderbird, currently at 24esr level, OpenJava 6, Qt4 along with lots of Qt apps ranging from browsers to PDF viewer, OpenOffice, available at the same level as everyone else, various libraries needed for most of the above and I'm sure more.
Not sure I'd trust FreeJFS too far, costs $50 for the most up to date JFS along with a few other updates such as newer USB. HPFS is pretty good as long as you don't mind the limit on partition size and slow chkdsk.
Can look up URLs if needed.

I did not find a newer kernel on Hobbes or on service.boulder.ibm.com.

On Hobbes:
I did find Java 6 and all its dependencies.
I did find OpenOffice 2.02, but it requires FP16.
I did not find Qt itself, just a few applications that use it.

With Daniela's drivers, I can exceed 2 gigs on the IDE controller. I resized my first .vdi to 35 gigs, made a new HPFS partition, and copied everything from the JFS partition to the new HPFS partition. I would have expanded C: and moved everything there, but too many things were already tied to D:. I am going to let C: remain at 2 gigs. Finally, I deleted the .vdi with the JFS volume.

Meeko

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 05:21:39 pm »

Java 1.1.8 is actually useful at times, it is a excellent implementation and some older Java software refuses to work or is buggy on newer versions, I keep Java 1.1.8, java 1.3 and Java 6 all installed, make 6 the default and then with try out which one works best, for frequently updated programs Java 6 is often the only option but for instance NetRexx works better with 1.1.8 and 1.3 than with 6 although a couple of functions are missing under 1.1.8.

I notice that you installed the vbox additions, if you are running under vbox you should use the vbox video driver and not SNAP or gengradd.

Java 1.3 doesn't seem to be on Hobbes. I did not delete the 1.1.8 files so I can easily go ahead and install them.

I copied things off my list onto here. I did install gradd97 earlier. I reviewed the guest additions readme, then checked files and found that I did switch to the gengradd they provided. The last things I did were the guest additions and setting up file sharing with Samba on the host.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 06:12:54 pm »
Kernels are here, http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/index.html, note that you'll have to use an OS/2 browser to access, Netscape should be good enough.
Actually I think that Java 1.3 wasn't freely available.
For Qt4, start here, http://trac.netlabs.org/qt4/wiki
Newest Openoffice, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hd9a9sjr8jszw16/AAC_iXq4PdV4tRuAlAigbfRia?dl=0,  use bww for getting in. Read the readme.
Lots of other stuff on Netlabs, http://trac.netlabs.org/
Even though FP16 is better, stuff usually works with FP15