• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

HSDPA & 3G PCMCIA Data Card

Started by John, 2008.05.23, 00:57:07

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Hi All,

I was wondering and curious to know whether anyone here has had any success with using HSDPA & 3G PCMCIA Data Cards for internet access. I'd like to buy a standard PCI to PCMCIA adapter card to install on a 2nd hand desktop I purchased for my folks as an alternative means for them to access the Internet as they live on a small holding in a Rural area and one can wait for months to years even, for our local telecoms provider to install an ADSL line which would be down more than running due to cable theft in the area. A wireless means to access the 'net would be a wise choice and the offering from one of our Cellular Service providers for an HSDPA 3G solution seams acceptable if a little pricey. Speeds offered are supposedly 7.2 and 3.6 Mbps respectively - pretty impressive here in SA where only the super rich can afford 4Mbps ADSL.

I'd like to install Warp4 or alternatively save up for eCS and install this for them as desktop solution for their computing needs. Are their drivers available for such Data cards and is there software available to Dial in to and connect with the Service Provider? I know Linux running Gnome Desktop has GnomePPP for this task, the Data Card comes with a CD to install drivers and dialer for Window$. If this proves successful, I may just follow suit purely for the speed improvement on 'net connectivity.

Many thanks in advance,

John.

Blonde Guy

PCMCIA or PCCard support in eCS isn't going forward, it's stopped.
So why not connect your 3g network with a wireless router like this one:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=524

Connect your standard wireless notebook and wired desktop computers,
both of which are well supported under eCS.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

John

Much thanks for your reply "Blonde Guy",

I've been looking into such a solution, but unfortunately I have yet to find a supplier here locally for such router. When I approached the Internet Service Providers and asked for such a solution, they generally remark on why I would do such a thing cos it works straight up for any PC or Mac, when I tell them I'd like to be able to use their service under OS/2 or even Linux, they give me a strange look as though I'm an Alien or something :-)

Looks like I must take the plunge to get myself a PayPal account and order it over the web either through NewEgg or similar service.

Thanks again,

Cheers

John.

warpcafe

Hey John,

FYI - there's also something similar from Linksys, the WRT54G3G model:
http://www.linksys.com/vodafone

Around here unfortunately it's coupled to a Vodafone subscription and 3G data card (pcmcia BTW :) ) and according data tariffs - which is not really cheap. Perhaps you're lucky to get this in an unbranded flavor somewhere near to you? I guess you're located in the US?

And - a quick check at eBay using "wireless 3g router" revealed quite some of them...
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=wireless+3g+router&category0=

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

BigWarpGuy

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2008.05.29, 16:56:07
PCMCIA or PCCard support in eCS isn't going forward, it's stopped.
So why not connect your 3g network with a wireless router like this one:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=524

Connect your standard wireless notebook and wired desktop computers,
both of which are well supported under eCS.

I have a similar portable wifi router for my Thinkpad T23. It is configured using ones browser. Mine is a D-Link. DWL-6730AP.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346   ;D
   8)

warpcafe

Quote from: BigWarpGuy on 2008.05.30, 01:14:59
I have a similar portable wifi router for my Thinkpad T23. It is configured using ones browser. Mine is a D-Link. DWL-6730AP.
   8)

Hi BWG,

ehh... your's is a box that connects your machine to WiFi networks, whereas what we're talking about here is a device that connects to UMTS / GPRS networks... and makes the link to the PC via a WiFi or cabled connection... ;)

Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

BigWarpGuy

I also have a D-Link WBR-1310  which I use with my eCS 1.1 desktop computer. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=474 I am trying to connect to it with my portable wifi router. I have not succeeded yet but have not made any attempts lately.

Andi

I'm currently playing with a Huawei E630 and a Qualcomm GT 3G+ EMEA. Unfotunately no success so far. Interesstingly the Huawei shows up as two USBOHCI controllers in the pci.exe listing -

Bus 3 (CardBus), Device Number 0, Device Function 0
Vendor 1033h NEC Electronics Hong Kong
Device 0035h uPD720101 USB OpenHCI Controller
Command 0000h (Bus Access Disabled!!)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 43h, Header Type 80h, Bus Latency Timer 08h
Minimum Bus Grant 01h, Maximum Bus Latency 2Ah
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
PCI Class Serial, type USB (OHCI)
Subsystem ID 003512D1h Unknown
Subsystem Vendor 12D1h PSITech
System IRQ (disabled), INT# A
New Capabilities List Present:
   Power Management Capability, Version 1.1
     Supports low power State D1
     Supports low power State D2
     Supports PME# signalling from mode(s) D0, D1, D2, D3hot
     PME# signalling is currently disabled
     3.3v AUX Current required : 0 mA (Self powered)
     Current Power State : D0 (Device operational, no power saving)

Bus 3 (CardBus), Device Number 0, Device Function 1
Vendor 1033h NEC Electronics Hong Kong
Device 0035h uPD720101 USB OpenHCI Controller
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 43h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency Timer 08h
Minimum Bus Grant 01h, Maximum Bus Latency 2Ah
PCI Class Serial, type USB (OHCI)
Subsystem ID 003512D1h Unknown
Subsystem Vendor 12D1h PSITech
System IRQ (disabled), INT# B
New Capabilities List Present:
   Power Management Capability, Version 1.1
     Supports low power State D1
     Supports low power State D2
     Supports PME# signalling from mode(s) D0, D1, D2, D3hot
     PME# signalling is currently disabled
     3.3v AUX Current required : 0 mA (Self powered)
     Current Power State : D0 (Device operational, no power saving)

Adding two USBOHCI lines in config.sys and USBCOM.sys do not show up a additional com port unfortunately. Any thoughts to get such card working?

The Qualcom identifies itself as -
Bus 3 (CardBus), Device Number 0, Device Function 0
Vendor 1931h Option N.V.
Device 000Ch Qualcomm MSM6275 UMTS chip
Status 0280h (Supports Back-To-Back Trans., Medium Timing)
Revision 00h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency Timer 00h
PCI Class Network, type Other
System IRQ (disabled), INT# A

What does 'Bus Access Disabled!!' mean?

warpcafe

Hi,

well I'm nore sure if any of these devices will be able to operate with eCS since that will depend on the "attachment technology" used:

For the Huawei, I understand that it is a PCMCIA card, right? In this case, well... I hate these things. PCMCIA support is in a bad, bad shape and especially with "modern" devices, that technology is almost not useable since it depends on drivers that are mostly unavailable for eCS.

For the Qualcomm, I'm not sure... it seems like it is also a PCMCIA, right? Well... see above.

In general, if you REALLY want to have a GSM, UMTS or EDGE or HSDPA connection, I would go for something that is "platform-agnostic" and really transparent: A UMTS Router like this:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=525

(That is more or less what BWG talked about above... the reason why it didn't work for him is probably that he has set up two "routers" instead of one router plus one swicth ...if I understood his comment correctly... anyway, I have personally worked with such devices and confirm it works.)

The connection basically works like this:
- Your machine connects to the Router via Wifi or Ethernet cable (if the router *has* RJ-45 sockets)
- The router is configured by a web-based interface (you will only need a java-enabled web browser)
- Then the router uses the PCMCIA adapter (and the SIM plugged in) to connect to UMTS etc. cellular nets

That's it. So given the fact that you already have at least one PCMCIA card, you would probably only need one such device and you're done. However, make sure the router supports your PCMCIA adapter... there's quite some of these models from Linksys, D-Link, Draytek, LevelOne and of course some Vodafone- and T-Mobile branded devices. I can't tell about the price tag however, but there is steill eBay...

Hope this helps.
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

Andi

Thomas thanks for your comments. Yes my cards are PCMCIA. I'll try to get a Linksys WRT54G3G V2 at evening. There should be one available in a shop on the way home. The D-Link type seems to be not available here in Austria. Drawback is, its not really a 'mobile' solution anymore. Mean I can hardly use it while traveling by train.

I also ordered a kit with a Huawei 1550 USB stick. But this will not directly work with eCS too, I fear. Problem is I'm a little bit in a hurry. Mobile internet have to work in the middle of next week. And I like to avoid doing it with Windoze. I think the chances are low that the Huawei 1550 will work as modem with AT commands. But I'll see.

ivan

Hi Andi,

Search for the 'USB 3G EVDO Modem' topic.  It might be of help to you.

Andi

This is written from a Thinkpad R52 wireless connected to the Linksys WRT54G3G router. The Linksys connects to the internet via HSDPA/3G/UMTS with the help of the Qualcomm/Option PCMCIA card. So this configuration works as expected. Too bad that the same PCMCIA card directly inserted into the Thinkpad works with Windoze only  :(

Btw. setup in Win was lot easier and cheaper (Linksys router costs 105€). Easy to understand why lot of people do not use OS/2 - eCS anymore.

USB stick will arrive next week. Let's see how this works.