• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SWT port image

Started by lpino, 2008.05.29, 00:48:40

Previous topic - Next topic

abwillis

I downloaded the DIINO software but it doesn't run under Odin. 

saborion2

Quote from: abwillis on 2008.06.19, 22:25:35

Hi "abwillis",

As far as I can remember; and, as was earlier stated in this thread... this was a "native" port of SWT to the OS/2 Operating System; so, I believe that this may be one of the reasons (perhaps) that you cannot get it to run "under Odin".  ::)

Best regards.

SAB

Saijin_Naib

Sab, do your research before you post.

http://www.diino.com/download.html

Not surprised Ab, Odin isn't very functional. If you have a working windows install try to download the stuff there and then let eCS work with it.

lpino

Quote from: abwillis on 2008.06.19, 22:25:35

Guys, don't get confused. DIINO it's a internet service to upload up to 2Gb for free on the Web. To use the service you need a client (a Windows software that has nothing to do with SWT or ODIN). You have to be running under Windows to run this client. Once you have it install under Windows you register on their web site and then you go and find the file I shared and download it. All of this under Windows...

After you download it the file, you unzip it and you will get a hard disk image I created using VirtualPC (under Windows v.7 I think). Now, I don't know if the image will work under VirtualPC for OS/2. Once you fire up the image (using VirtualPC 7, under Windows, a free download) you will get an OS/2 system with all the needed environment to develop the native port of SWT, meaning VAC++ 4.0, Java 1.3.1 ... etc.

I can give any support once somebody has the image working on you computers.

I hope this clears up the plan.

Thank you

PS. You can always try to run the client of DIINO under ODIN and then try to run the image under VirtualPC for OS/2, but that's not the way I intended to work, although it may. The idea was to distribute an image of OS/2 so anybody (that has Windows and VirtualPC) can work on it.

Leonardo Pino

saborion2

Hi Saijin_Naib,

Re:

Sab, do your research before you post.

I must admit that as busy as I am concentrating on other business development issues I do not do very much research/testing at this time; but, in any case I am sometimes very skeptical when registering on certain websites as no sooner (as you may have experienced this yourself) that you provide "your" information... the "spams" start to come/roll in.  ;D

Thanks for the link/observation anyway.  ;)

Best regards,

SAB

saborion2

Hi Saijin_Naib,

After some ruminating moments I thought that I would share the attached (links) with you. The questions are: If I can achieve all I wish to accomplish with the emerging and compelling Web-Centric applications like that of "EditGrid"... why on Earth do I have to really bother with a  (Box-Centric) proprietary environment that is Windows et al?  ???

EditGrid spreadsheet mashes up your numbers with online stats

http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9972158-2.html

http://www.editgrid.com/

http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnumeric/doc/chapter-welcome.shtml

Regards.

SAB

Michel

Murphy's law hit me again...
I was able to download the zipfile but couldn't extract the VHD file due to a CRC error.

I thought that something went wrong during the download so I downloaded the zipfile again.
Unfortunately, I got the same CRC error when trying to extract the VHD file, so the original zipfile must be corrupt.

Leonardo, could you please create a new zipfile and upload it again ?

Thanks,
Michel

DavidG

Michel

It can be found at Netlabs Incoming also.

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/swtos2_20080618.zip

However, this zip file appears to be bad also.

David

Michel

David,

The file at netlabs incoming is 19,60 Mb in size while the file swtos2.zip at Diino is 754,84 Mb.
Something must have gone wrong while uploading to netlabs.

Regards,
Michel

lpino

Quote from: Michel on 2008.06.22, 23:20:50
David,

The file at netlabs incoming is 19,60 Mb in size while the file swtos2.zip at Diino is 754,84 Mb.
Something must have gone wrong while uploading to netlabs.

Regards,
Michel

Sorry, I tried to upload the file to netlabs but it was SLOWWWW, maybe there is a restriction on upload speed. Besides FTP is not a goord protocol to transmit large files. I need to send the .delete file now.

I guess the DIINO way is the only way for now..

Leonardo Pino

Michel

Hi Leonardo,

Could you please check your original swtos2.zip file ?
I don't know were the zipfile corruption started.
The zipfile could have been bad from the beginning or it could have gone bad while uploading to Diino.

Regards,
Michel

saborion2

Putting all the "ingredients" of the bottle of "coke" in one bottle!!!  ???

Re:

The zipfile could have been bad from the beginning or it could have gone bad while uploading to

When will OS/2 developers see the justification of creating a "single source" like that of the OS/2 World Foundation or the NetLabs sites for all (or most of the development projects related to OS/2); and, for these to be undertaken in a very professional manner (not in a piecemeal way) second to none.

Just my two cents.  8)

Regards,

SAB

lpino

Quote from: Michel on 2008.06.22, 23:42:20
Hi Leonardo,

The zipfile could have been bad from the beginning or it could have gone bad while uploading to Diino.

Regards,
Michel

The file at Netlabs/incoming is bad. Do not download that,, don't even try. I had no idea that the DIINO file was corrupted. Did you download it?, what happened when you tried?

Thanks

lpino

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.06.23, 03:41:00
Putting all the "ingredients" of the bottle of "coke" in one bottle!!!  ???

Re:

The zipfile could have been bad from the beginning or it could have gone bad while uploading to

When will OS/2 developers see the justification of creating a "single source" like that of the OS/2 World Foundation or the NetLabs sites for all (or most of the development projects related to OS/2); and, for these to be undertaken in a very professional manner (not in a piecemeal way) second to none.

Just my two cents.  8)

Regards,

SAB

The SWT port is part of Netlabs the source is up to date and maintained (http://svn.netlabs.org/swt) and if you had VAC++ 4.0, you could just connect to the Subversion repository and download the damn thing and you can join the project.

The problem seems to be the availability of VAC++ 4.0. That's why I created the image, to distribute the whole thing. If you don't like it, get a copy of VAC++ install it on your OS/2, install SmartSVN, download the sources, read the docs and begin to help... very simple.

I need help to finish the project, it's almost there, but I can't make everybody happy and I can do so much to bring the project to people.

Thanks

saborion2

When will OS/2 developers see the justification of creating a "single source" like that of the OS/2 World Foundation or the NetLabs sites for all (or most of the development projects related to OS/2)

If this SWT Port to the OS/2 Operating System is going to make/mean so............ much to the OS/2 user communities around the world especially with the up-coming port of
QuoteJAVA 7 to OS/2
; then, how about having the DEMO Files (since there appears to be problems with distribution) available on CDs and mailed/shipped to the interested parties.

Best regards.

SAB