• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Firefox 3 and FireFTP OS/2 integration?

Started by RobertM, 2008.07.15, 20:58:33

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hey all,

So... I've been using FireFTP (newest version) on Firefox 3 and noted something really interesting. FireFTP (and/or Firefox) seem to query OS/2 for icon data now! While it doesnt update folder icons, it definitely requests icon info for any non-folder object and updates it.

Here's the other neat thing... look at the remote list (right side)... there is no retrievable icon data, so it then assigns icon by WPS association info!!!! (while I do have PMView assigned in Firefox, I do NOT have MED assigned for HTML in Firefox - that's a WPS association!).

It also seems to load the icon info in the background after displaying the dir/file list (the lists get displayed, and then the icons get updated).

Very neat... and very nice touch! The gang who worked on the WPS integration should be commended!

Much thanks to those responsible!!!

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

The Blue Warper

Hi, Robert!

AFAIK, WPS integration has been 'built into' Peter Weilbacher's builds (PmW-Fx, SeaMonkey-PmW; maybe PmW-Tb, but I can't confirm this right now) for more than one year (I don't recall which version first supported it, sorry), by means of Rich Walsh's RWS package.
As Weilbacher's build, starting with FF3, became the official build for the OS/2 platform, RWS support was included into the browser.  Quoting from FF3 readme:

«Firefox can make use of Rich Walsh's Remote Workplace Server (RWS) library to access Workplace Shell objects from the browser. This allows helper applications for downloaded files to be selected based on their default WPS association. In addition, the WPS icons of files will be displayed in the download dialog and in directory views.»

Please note that this is my understanding of the situation, but anyone is welcome to correct me if (s)he finds me wrong or I didn't include his/her name in the contributors mentioned above.  Here's the related Bugzilla discussion thread:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=305061
where one will find other contributions too.

Regards

RobertM

Indeed, that seems something I saw someplace as well! I didnt realize the support went as far as plugins and more!

Much thanks to Peter and Rich!!!

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

WarpWorld

I have problem.I downloaded Firefox 3.0 for OS/2 and some plugins and add ons for it.How I can install those plugins in Firefox when I am offline.I know to do that on Windows,easy- move plugins with cursor on already opened Firefox,but how to do that on OS/2 (eCS) where I can't move icons?

Saijin_Naib

You use the Right Mouse Button to drag items in Os/2

WarpWorld

I use Demo version of that system...

The Blue Warper

Try:

"File" --> "Open File" --> [Choose your .xpi add-on] --> <Open>.

sebi1234

I have problem.I downloaded Firefox 3.0 for OS/2 and some plugins and add ons for it.How I can install those plugins in Firefox when I am offline.I know to do that on Windows,easy- move plugins with cursor on already opened Firefox,but how to do that on OS/2 (eCS) where I can't move icons?

bodybuilding supplements
Hair Care

osw

Quote from: sebi1234 on 2009.05.28, 11:51:51

bodybuilding supplements
Hair Care

very same way - it does work here for me on ff 3.6a1pre....
if it doesn't try drop it directly on Add-ons window - it should work

warpcafe

Hi osw,

again sebi1234 (banned in the meanwhile) did fool us by "parroting" a previous post - see above, by bojan89.
I think I'll have to create an announcement so that other fellow users here don't get fooled by postings from these... spambots(?).

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy