• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

A third of new PCs being downgraded to XP, says metrics researcher

Started by BigWarpGuy, 2008.08.20, 01:45:08

Previous topic - Next topic

BigWarpGuy

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9112885&source=NLT_PM&nlid=8
"Vista may be what Microsoft sells, but XP remains popular"

Could this be the beginning of the end for Microsoft's Windows?  ???

Saijin_Naib

No, its the same shit people started when 2k came out and XP came out. People are intractable donkeys at times, and just like to complain because it's different.

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.08.20, 03:09:11
No, its the same shit people started when 2k came out and XP came out. People are intractable donkeys at times, and just like to complain because it's different.

No, it's not nearly the same. XP's uptake was phenomenal in comparison to Vista's. All you have to do is look at the upgrade figures. People actually went out to buy XP to upgrade older machines. People actually kept XP on their machines (instead of downgrading to 98 or 2000). Vista "downgrades" to XP are beating XP's downgrades to something earlier by a factor of 10 or more. When XP came out, there werent massive campaigns to have 98 stay available. There werent OEMs that were forced to have Win2K and Win98 buying options. There are such situations with Vista. So much so, that Microsoft is counting every XP sale as a Vista sale (and to make the figures "legit" are making OEMs sell the machines "with" Vista, and then install XP on them, just so they count as a Vista sale - even though the customer never sees or uses Vista when they select an XP option).

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Radek

Vista = XP + Digital Restriction Management + Treacherous Computing Platform. The "bonus pack", which "extends" XP to Vista is nothing to be keen on  >:(  More about Vista and why people don't like it, see http://badvista.fsf.org

BigWarpGuy

Of course this doesn't include the number of people who upgraded their WinXP or WinVista to eComStation.  ;D

ModZilla

I had a goofey gateway with xp home on it OEM and only half a gigaram. At the release of Vista in Jan 07, to the general public that is, I got this stupid idea. Why not "upgrade" this poor thing to Vista Home Basic just to get up with technology as they say. From there, a year had passed and since it was doing ok and I needed a change, I upgraded again, this time to the version with media center built in: Vista Home Premium ...bad idea as it needs more mem to keep all its hungiry "services" happy. So getting to the point, I tried to migrate back to XP pro...that also was a bad idea since doing this meant that ACPI became a factor in the BIOS. So I migrated to  a form of LINUX, as in PCLINUXOS, using GRUB. Once I got rid of the problem with the boot loader and MBA it was simple to remove everything with a partition program and reset the BIOS. Now I have  the loader seeing the hard drive again and on and on. XP PRO is nice compared to Vista and now I can see first hand why so many poeple go backwards in their migration, too bad we can't all just migrate totally away from MS esp when linux will run on so small a foot print with little memory;.
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

Saijin_Naib

HAH! Linux small footprint? Yeah, okay. Read the specs for Ubuntu using KDE 4 or Gnome. Yeah, maybe with E17 or some other slim Window Manager like BlackBox it's pretty small, but gone are the days of linux with "small footprints". PClinuxOS runs fatter than Vista :\

eCS runs fatter than my XP PRO SP3 install.

ModZilla

Did you load PCLinuxOS from a DVD or CD ROM?
;D I miss the good old days before the GUI. It was fun trying to make it all happen from your brain to the machine and the command line was all you needed, no mouse, icons-no pretty AeroStuff, just minimalist computing, like liliputian algebra done in matrices...click click
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!