• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OFF TOPIC: Lotus 1-2-3 1.7.1 Errors

Started by saborion2, 2008.09.01, 18:40:51

Previous topic - Next topic

saborion2

Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

CERN's big collider now in action

http://news.cnet.com/cerns-big-collider-now-in-action/?tag=mncol

It would be neat to learn what Spread Sheet CERN uses. Given the time this project was started it could very well be Lotus 1-2-3 that does not return any errors!!   8)

Very good to know after this "Large Hadron Collider" (LHC) tests all on "God's Greening Earth" will "Live Long And Prosper"!  ;D

saborion2

Re:

QuoteI think, like others, he is just getting frustrated by SABs quotes from "who the heck knows where" of items totally irrelevant, such as fighter jets, and posts like the one below "Having being brought up between the rivers of the Guianas I have taken a few moments to Google and came across the following links..." (which is related to someone's problems with 1-2-3 how?) and so on.

Has any thought been given to the "financial and economic considerations" (and, which company in the world does not use a "Spread Sheet" be it Lotus 1-2-3 or which ever) involved in keeping "airplanes in general" in the air. Does anyone remember - The Concorde!  8)

Also, (taking a sentence from my good friend the BWG..) It would be interesting to know what Spread Sheet the operators of the "CONCORDE" used, how they were able to fix any errors; and, if it ran on OS/2!  ::) ::) ::)

saborion2

Re:

Who Benefits

Who will benefit with the price of jet fuel at record highs? Of course, the firms that manage the all the mothballed aircraft will benefit. What about Boeing (BA) and Airbus [EADS]? Many traders in the market and several contributors with Seeking Alpha are assuming that the airlines will be postponing their purchases of new aircraft, as they do not need more airplanes. I do not believe this makes sense.

In an article on June 10, 2008, in the Wall Street Journal Scott McCartney points out that it cost $300 to $500 per passenger in the cost of jet fuel as shown in the table below. You can see how the high cost of jet fuel is the largest cost of an airline ticket.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/81970-aircraft-suppliers-to-benefit-from-airline-fuel-woes

And, if one is to guess

Who will benefit with the price of jet fuel at record highs? Of course, (then) the firms that manage the all the mothballed aircraft will benefit.

Also, it would be neat to know if there are any planned changes for the future from the current Spread Sheets they are now using and if these are Microsoft Excel or Lotus 1-2-3 that they are using and if these applications are "up-to-date" ones and they can also run on OS/2-eCS and they all run on the most modern "h-a-r-d-w-a-r-e" available!  8)

saborion2

Hi All,

I really like this "OFF TOPIC: Lotus 1-2-3 1.7.1 Errors" thread agreed apparently jointly by moderators and it is the gut feeling that some iteration of an OEM's "Spread Sheet" is being employed by all of these world re-known financial institutions that are caught up in the latest of the Wall Street crises (you know how that old adage goes I guess - "Out Of The Frying Pan - Into The Fire") - Please see the attached "CNN News Article":

Changes rock Wall Street
Published: 9/15/08, 9:00 AM EDT
(CNN) - The venerable Lehman Brothers investment bank said early Monday that it will file for bankruptcy, while Bank of America unveiled plans to buy Merrill Lynch -- two pieces of news that profoundly alter the American financial landscape.

The fast-paced changes capped a roller-coaster Wall Street weekend and threatened to stir up U.S. financial markets already reeling from woes at other major financial firms and mortgage financing titans Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum=1&bfromind=7406&eeid=6095488&_sitecat=1181&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=0&ck=&ch=ne&rg=blsadstrgt&_lid=332&_lnm=tg+ne+topnews&ck=

Does anyone see a "Spread Sheet relevance" in this latest world financial crisis and one wonders how many "T-E-C-K-I-E-S" livelihoods would be affected in these financial crises with folks reportedly leaving their offices with "boxes" after cleaning out their "desks"! Question is: Are these the results of "Lotus 1-2-3 1.7.1 et al Errors"???   ::) 8) ::)

Bring It On!

Best regards.

SAB

Ben

... and thus the "con" unfolds

... while the sheep munch their grass

... oblivious and carefree

... as their world is systematically de-constructed around them.

... heads firmly in the ground

... arses high in the air in the "ready" position.

Push in just a little bit further and their nice hidey hole becomes their grave.

"Can't happen in my world." & "I'm not listening."

Baa.  Baaa.   Baaaaaaa!

Genetic stupidity is one thing, but a self-imposed stupidity is hard to find empathy for.

In other words, most people deserve what they get.

The problem is with those that do not deserve it, who get dragged down with the sheep.

To those of you that so choose to turn off your brains and pass over control of your lives to your "betters", I say:

Baaaaaaa!

Saborion2, it is all laid out there for everyone to see... but they'd rather eat their "bread" and watch their "circus'" than get up off their arses and actually partake in the running of their own lives.

While, far be it for me to agree with that monstrous war criminal, Heinz "Henry" Kissinger, I find it hard to disagree with his, (and I paraphrase);

"Those who choose to hand over the running-of-their-own-lives to someone else, are no better than meat upon the table."

Think about that all you sheep out there.

Think about what this means for you and your children.

Nothing has occurred to prevent Fascist takeover from happening again.

They haven't "gone away." And we didn't "get them all"... and not even close.

The only thing that has happened is that you have been conditioned into believing, for no real reason, that it cannot happen now, because this is what you would like to be true. You have been "fattened for the slaughter." You mark my words.

Who do you think Kissinger was referring to? the bums on the street? He meant YOU!

I have heard many ask; Why didn't the pre-WWII Germans see the NAZI insanity coming?

Ask yourself that question, because you are in the exact, same, position. And you are "choosing" to look the other way.

One only has to look out of their window to see the massive changes unfolding around them. These changes are not normal. You are being moved to another, more secure, corral. More secure for them, not for you. All the while you are being stroked by the numbness of TV, fed GMO foods to keep you fat, soft and pliable, while your children are being pumped with Ritalin, prescribed and administered by teachers of such weak character that you couldn't rely on them to take out your garbage.

Do you know the character of those teachers? Do you even know their names? Do you know what your children are being taught? Do you have any say in it? Find it out. It will "knock you flat!"

And it doesn't matter where you live, be it Russia, Germany, France, Australia, Canada, the UK, US, Brazil, Czechoslovakia. The same is going on everywhere. Simultaneously. Ask yourself; "How is that even possible?"

And "Don't worry," all those millions of new cameras are there for those nasty ol' criminals. Pay no attention as it tracks you walking down the street. "It's for your own protection." Ha!.

You cannot convict a criminal using just video evidence. Not even of littering. Look it up.

You have to understand; those that rule us, hate us. They rank us no higher than bugs. Laws that have been passed in the last ten years, in all countries and in the UN, that make this brutally clear. Look it up.

All these changes are connected. They cannot happen with such widespread synchronization, naturally.

To you who choose to remain in La-la Land I say; Baaaaaaa!, for that's all that you have chosen to understand... and it is a choice.

Baaaaaaa!

kim

Always interesting to see how some of the threads tend to get a bit wide when it comes to interpret the thread topic. So here is my little story for the day and it's good one as well, to follow the last thread when it comes to have way too much faith in tools.

Last week the Swedish National Bank raised the interest rate couple of points based on the recommendation from among other SCB (Statistics Sweden is a central government authority for official statistics and other government statistics and in this capacity also has the responsibility for coordinating and supporting the Swedish system for official statistics) and it now turns out that the recommendation was due to a software error... do I need to say that SCB quickly blamed SAS Institute for this little error - they where the ones who made the programming error. Oh, well... why even bother to check the code with models to verify that it actually works. Well, if you want to read a googled page, check this article.

saborion2

You go Ben Dragon ;), How about if we call it a "Tools" (S-p-r-e-a-d_S-h-e-e-t) malfunctions (adjustments) on the G-l-o-b-a-l_F-i-n-a-n-c-i-a-l_M-a-r-k-e-t-s! ??? And, I am curious to know which ones they are using. Do you have any idea?

saborion2

Re:

QuoteLast week the Swedish National Bank raised the interest rate couple of points based on the recommendation from among other SCB (Statistics Sweden is a central government authority for official statistics and other government statistics and in this capacity also has the responsibility for coordinating and supporting the Swedish system for official statistics) and it now turns out that the recommendation was due to a software error... do I need to say that SCB quickly blamed SAS Institute for this little error - they where the ones who made the programming error.

That was an interesting post "kimhav", thanks.  ;) It makes one wonder how many "errors" like these there are around in the world (including those by human which can easily be blamed on the "computer"). ???

Kindest regards,

SAB

Ben

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.09.15, 20:40:05
You go Ben Dragon ;),
How about if we call it a "Tools" (S-p-r-e-a-d_S-h-e-e-t) malfunctions (adjustments) on the G-l-o-b-a-l_F-i-n-a-n-c-i-a-l_M-a-r-k-e-t-s! ??? And, I am curious to know which ones they are using. Do you have any idea?

Short answer: No.

Long answer:

It's easy to get lost in the minutia and spend your life trying to get something sensible from the data, only to have the point become moot just prior to solution. Then apocatastasis occurs and you're back to where you started, none the better for your efforts, and feeling more than a little bit frustrated.

Burn-out is the inevitable outcome. Then you throw up your hands resignation... as per design.

To understand the whole, one must take a step back to discern the information in the data. Then the picture solidifies as you look at the broad strokes.

One such stroke begins post WWII and ends, unfinished, where we are today.

Look at our history, culturally, politically, sexually, economically, and, most important, militarily. DO NOT USE MODERN METHODS OF PROPAGANDA AS INFORMATION. it is not.

Since "OFF TOPIC:" is now ON topic, I'll take a little leeway to provide a some background information to flesh out some of my previous post for those few who can still think, and still have their survival instinct... intact and working.

I've mentioned Bertrand Russell a few times before.

Undoubtedly few, or none, here has heard of him. Hence it is easy to cast his words aside as coming from someone of insignificance.

Allow me the opportunity to change that and give your mind a clear picture of how high this inbred psychopath was held in the esteem of some of the greatest names you have ever heard of, all contemporaries, and good buddies of, Russell.

Read my brief biography of him here, then do a quick search of this forum and reread what he has said.

There is plenty more available on my website and elsewhere.

To allow the full impact of this own words to come to you, I scanned portions of his books, so you can see for yourself.

saborion2

Re:

Short answer: No.

Long answer:

It's easy to get lost in the minutia and spend your life trying to get something sensible from the data, only to have the point become moot just prior to solution. Then apocatastasis occurs and you're back to where you started, none the better for your efforts, and feeling more than a little bit frustrated.

[.......]

And to come to think of it.... all of this "data" can and ought to have been analyzed in "R-E-A-L_T-I-M-E". So, where in the world are the "relevant", modernized, and topical Analytical Tools (Lotus Symphony with the integration of Lotus SameTime all running on OS/2-eCS)!  8)

Maybe, it is time to invite the "Bounty Hunters" from Wall Street who have just packed up? If there is nothing else - and, taking a line from "Intel"...they should know what applications (that did not return [errors]) were needed "inside the computers"! ::) 8) ::)

IBM Lotus Symphony is a suite of applications for creating, editing, and sharing text, spreadsheet, and other documents. Originally released in July 1984 as an integrated software application for DOS, IBM revived the Symphony name for a new office suite that was first released free of charge in 2007.

[.......]

Although 1-2-3 had originally been billed as an integrated product with spreadsheet, database and graphing functions (hence the name "1-2-3"), competing products such as AppleWorks provided a more comprehensive level of integration and additional functionality; Symphony was Lotus' response.

Symphony is a DOS program that is loaded entirely into memory when started. Using ALT-F10 the user can alternate among the five "environments" of the program, each a rendering of the same underlying data. The environments are:

* SHEET, a spreadsheet program very similar to 1-2-3
    * DOC, a word processor
    * GRAPH, a graphical charting program
    * FORM, a table-based database management system
    * COMM, a communications program

[.....]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Symphony

Evolutionary... one might say!  ???

saborion2

Re:

Quote from: kimhav on 2008.09.15, 20:38:40
Always interesting to see how some of the threads tend to get a bit wide when it comes to interpret the thread topic. So here is my little story for the day and it's good one as well, to follow the last thread when it comes to have way too much faith in tools.

Last week the Swedish National Bank raised the interest rate couple of points based on the recommendation from among other SCB (Statistics Sweden is a central government authority for official statistics and other government statistics and in this capacity also has the responsibility for coordinating and supporting the Swedish system for official statistics) and it now turns out that the recommendation was due to a software error... do I need to say that SCB quickly blamed SAS Institute for this little error - they where the ones who made the programming error. Oh, well... why even bother to check the code with models to verify that it actually works. Well, if you want to read a googled page, check this article.

Hi All,

It was really neat to have read OS/2 World Foundation's - Global Moderator, Hero Member -"kimhav" comments and quote about the experience of the "Swedish National Bank"; surely then, with what is being reported in the press (newspapers, TV....) about the happenings on Wall Street and which has implications for the global financial markets so much so it was reported in this morning's news that the Russian Stock Exchange has closed it doors.... would not all agree that this once OFF TOPIC thread about S-P-R-E-A-D__S-H-E-E-T-S is now ON TOPIC as was stated earlier by our goodly friend "Ben Dragon"  8)

The question is: And, with reference to the experience of the "Swedish National Bank"; and, the way things have been developing on Wall street... will there come a time when (in the absence of "standardized" products) millions of people around the world will be placing their hands on their heads as a result of experiences like those on Wall Street and that of the "Swedish National Bank".  8)

Best regards.

saborion2

Re:

Bush says he's working to curb economic turmoil

[....Bush was supposed to spend the day in Alabama and Florida raising money for Republicans and talking energy policy. He canceled his trip and sent Vice President Dick Cheney to sub for him at the fundraisers to focus on the worst financial meltdown since the Great Depression.

"The American people are concerned about the situation in our financial markets and our economy," Bush said. "And I share their concerns."

The tumult in financial markets and the disappearance of corporate giants have shaken people's faith in the economy. On Wall Street, the fear is that more significant financial companies will fall, causing a spillover effect within the United States and on world markets.....]

http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?bfromind=7508&eeid=6095854&_sitecat=1504&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=-2&ck=&ch=ne

Hello Moderators, Hello Ben Dragon, Hello All,

So, when does this current "economic turmoil" officially becomes "On Topic" (and a new thread created) and which (could very well have been the results of "Spread Sheets" with certain limitations). Note carefully the words "economic turmoil" and its relationship to the following Lotus Development Corporation communication (again) a few years ago about the Lotus 1-2-3 Spread Sheet:

Concerning the issues with 1-2-3 that are talked about in the documentation you gave me, most of the issues are related to converting files between older and newer versions of product and converting documents between Lotus and Microsoft. Anytime a file is saved backwards or saved with an older file format than the format the file was created under, such as saving a 1-2-3 , 97 file for Windows 95 into a WK1 format for DOS, then naturally we are expected to loose certain features due to technology and features that are present now that were not present 8 - 10 years ago. Similarly, if we try to convert a file from Lotus into Excel or Excel into Lotus, due to differences in the products not every feature will be converted perfectly with the file filters that are available. Both Lotus and Microsoft create similar spreadsheet programs; however, there are several differences in both programs and these differences will remain to distinguish the products apart. We do try to design conversion filters that will allow as much of the file formats as possible to be exchanged and converted without disrupting the actual file design and format.

In one of your letters you made mention of the @IRR and @ERR functions in the 1-2-3 product. By design the @IRR (notably "absent" in Open Office) will calculate the Internal Rate of Return; where the @ERR is used in conjunction with other formulas, posted was an "ERR" showing an error was received in the calculations. As far as I can see in the program I cannot find an @ERR function that will allow us to calculate an Economic Rate of Return"

How low can the "Stock Markets" around the globe go (continue with "certain limitations" ;) of the S-p-r-e-a-d_S-h-e-e-t-s)!  ???  :( :( :(

BTW, Does any remember who wrote the following in part:

SAB, are you seriously back in this thread with THAT??

First, DUDE, it's 2008!  No one in their right mind uses a spreadsheet to "run" their business.  A spreadsheet is a tool.

Second, DUDE, it's 2008!  No technology is safe from obsolescence.  If you're REALLY this fixated on obsolescence, what on G-d's green earth are you doing in an OS/2 forum?  Do you REALLY view OS/2 or it's eCS distribution as "safe" from obsolescence?

Third, DUDE, it's 2008!  In case you've been living under a rock, Microsoft won the war.  If we are talking about de facto standards in the business world, the Excel file format (by virtue of it's ubiquity if nothing else) is it.  Last time I checked, current versions of Excel do not run under OS/2 natively.  That is what filters are all about, and with the latest updates, I have no problem using Lotus 123 for viewing, sharing, or saving files in Excel format.  I use spread sheets a LOT as a financial tool.  This may astound you, but newer is not always better.  There are professionals using 123 simply because they prefer it.  That includes the manager of my local Washington Mutual Bank....

And, was that the same "Washington Mutual Bank.... " that was on the news last night! ::) then someone could/must be busy packing up at his/her desk.  ???

What do we call this "A Spread Sheet (Wardrobe) Malfunction" or what! ???

Now we are talking....

So, bring it on! How about another letter to IBM to enable OS/2 Developers to throw out the Life Lines (develop the needed/required APIs)! 8)

RobertM

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.09.19, 04:27:25
Re:

Hello Moderators, Hello Ben Dragon, Hello All,

So, when does this current "economic turmoil" officially becomes "On Topic" (and a new thread created) and which (could very well have been the results of "Spread Sheets" with certain limitations). Note carefully the words "economic turmoil" and its relationship to the following Lotus Development Corporation communication (again) a few years ago about the Lotus 1-2-3 Spread Sheet:

As soon as you create a discussion thread in the appropriate section... perhaps something labelled:

"Economic Turmoil due to Spread Sheets"

or something similar.

It's really simple. Go to "Public Discussions" and pick the correct section and/or create a new topic, label it according to the intent in mind for the topic, and voila!

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

saborion2

Re:

QuoteAs soon as you create a discussion thread in the appropriate section... perhaps something labelled:

or something similar.

It's really simple. Go to "Public Discussions" and pick the correct section and/or create a new topic, label it according to the intent in mind for the topic, and voila!

Welcome back to the "OFF TOPIC: Lotus 1-2-3 1.7.1 Errors" RobertM  ;D . The thing is - I really, really like this "OFF TOPIC: Lotus 1-2-3 1.7.1 Errors" thread; and, as it is known that company names like "SWECO", BOEING, EXXON... are of interest to me (particularly to know which "Spread Sheets" they are using... I am a little disinclined to limit the discussion to the current "Wall Street" turmoil by starting a new thread when the gut feeling is that if the global economy (food, energy, transportation, manufacturing...) is to be focussed on then we may be talking about "trillions of dollars" and not 700 billion dollars.  ;)  Therefore, it is the firm belief that this thread is quite appropriate to address the issues with regards to any "Spread Sheet Errors" (issues) that may ensue from both the national as well as the global economic picture.  8)

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

RobertM

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.09.22, 01:22:43
Re:

QuoteAs soon as you create a discussion thread in the appropriate section... perhaps something labelled:

or something similar.

Welcome back to the "OFF TOPIC: Lotus 1-2-3 1.7.1 Errors" RobertM  ;D . The thing is - I really, really like this "OFF TOPIC: Lotus 1-2-3 1.7.1 Errors" thread; and, as it is known that company names like "SWECO", BOEING, EXXON... are of interest to me (particularly to know which "Spread Sheets" they are using... I am a little disinclined to limit the discussion to the current "Wall Street" turmoil by starting a new thread when the gut feeling is that if the global economy (food, energy, transportation, manufacturing...) is to be focussed on then we may be talking about "trillions of dollars" and not 700 billion dollars.  ;)  Therefore, it is the firm belief that this thread is quite appropriate to address the issues with regards to any "Spread Sheet Errors" (issues) that may ensue from both the national as well as the global economic picture.  8)

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

That is why I created it for you. the option to create another topic, if you think one needs more specificity than this one, as I was trying to say, also exists for you.

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|