• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

New kernel

Started by AAA, 2008.11.07, 17:05:07

Previous topic - Next topic

IBManners

Hi Pete,

QuoteWhat is the legal difference between the os4 kernel and the kernels produced by the acpi developers?

The ACPI developers are not producing Kernels, just an additional driver.

Cheers
I am the computer, it is me.

Pete

Hi

What exactly is the acpi kernel package found in the ecs betazone? - http://betazone.ecomstation.com/fileviewer.php?file_id=268
This is described as "eComStation kernel for ACPI. Highly experimental."

ACPI315 - login at Mensys downloads - also contains a kernel.

Regards

Pete

Criguada

Hi walking_x!

Quote from: walking_x on 2009.05.04, 14:34:30
Quote from: rwklein on 2009.05.04, 00:34:38
What I know is that WIN32K.SYS method (patching in memory) (as Andy Willes explains) has the least to none of the technicall problems.
This method is suitable only for small, second boot phase patches.
How you can patch kernel from driver to show another (vesa) boot logo?

If I understand correctly this (vesa boot logo) is handled by OS2LDR, not by OS2KRNL; and (again if I understand correctly) OS2LDR has been completely rewritten, it is not a patch over the original one, so there is no problem adopting it.

Bye
Cris

walking_x

Quote from: Criguada on 2009.05.05, 12:32:19
If I understand correctly this (vesa boot logo) is handled by OS2LDR, not by OS2KRNL; and (again if I understand correctly) OS2LDR has been completely rewritten, it is not a patch over the original one, so there is no problem adopting it.
No, kernel load and show logo during first init phase, in protected mode. Then you press AltF1 - it handled in kernel before logo.

Pete

Hi All

Looks like someone is listening to Roderick as the current release of the os4 kernel ftp://Linking to this site is not permitted on our forums/os2krnlSVN1359.zip does not contain a kernel, it contains an os2krnl.pat file that is used to patch the 14.104a debug kernel http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/smp20050811d.zip

Seems to be working - so far.

Regards

Pete

AAA

Next test version is available ftp://ftp.Linking to this site is not permitted on our forums/os2krnlSVN1425_unoff.zip

djcaetano

Quote from: AAA on 2009.07.20, 20:34:21
Next test version is available ftp://ftp.Linking to this site is not permitted on our forums/os2krnlSVN1425_unoff.zip

It would be very nice if the file included an updated version of "WhatsNew". :)

AAA

ftp://ftp.Linking to this site is not permitted on our forums/os2krnlSVN1564_unoff.zip

cytan

Hi all,
   It seems that our kernel is being improved (not only the ldr). From the WhatsNew:

- Fixed some previously undetected IBM bugs

Hmmm ... this is really interesting which brings up some questions in my mind about source acess ...

However, I'm not going to look at a gift horse in the mouth.

What I really would like is the lifting of the 512MB limit on shared memory in the kernel. With all the current apps eating this place up (like OpenOffice etc). Is there a plan to improve this?

cytan

warpcafe

Hey,

Quote from: cytan on 2009.09.09, 17:23:25
Hmmm ... this is really interesting which brings up some questions in my mind about source acess ...

Wooooaaaaah! Would you _PLEASE_ stop talking about this?? :)
I am sure someone I know from Mensys is exactly _now_ falling off his chair.
And his front is hitting the desk... ;) I can hear very heavy dutch insults sounding up to my place (approx. 300 km away)... please don't put out the fire with gasoline... :)

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

AAA

Quote from: warpcafe on 2009.09.09, 17:49:05
I can hear very heavy dutch insults sounding up to my place

You probably heard some other dutch insults  :D

As far as I know, OS/4 copyrights was removed from the new kernel as well as OS/4 kernel was distributed as a patch to official one. So all Mensys objections were satisfied (at least those that they announced).

It's most probable that Mensys is unhappy because the new kernel is being developed without their involvement and new objections will arise soon.

warpcafe

AAA,

well, that's something I don't want to discuss in public :P
But yes, these are "different" durch insults :)
I have sent you a private mail - see "my messages" on top when logged-in here.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

AAA

ftp://ftp.Linking to this site is not permitted on our forums/os2krnlSVN1660_unoff.zip

fixed some bugs in loader

lpino

Quote from: AAA on 2009.11.18, 18:50:19
ftp://ftp.Linking to this site is not permitted on our forums/os2krnlSVN1660_unoff.zip

fixed some bugs in loader
It would be very nice if they documented the changes included in each release.

Thanks.

DougB

I tried os2krnlSVN1660_unoff.zip on my Asus M3A78-EM, with quad core AMD Phenom processor. Nothing has changed, it still freezes at loading DBCS.FNT (doesn't exist) - long before the eCS, or OS/4, logo shows up.

QuoteIt would be very nice if they documented the changes included in each release.

I agree. far too many test releases are made, of far too many programs, without giving the user/tester any clue what to expect, or test. That wastes a LOT of time on the part of the user/tester. It also results in many missed, or unnecessary,  problem reports which wastes a lot of developer time.