• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

ecs rc5 with os2fat32

Started by bobvirago, 2008.11.12, 16:07:07

Previous topic - Next topic

bobvirago

After installing  ecs rc5    i have icompatibility with the fat32 driver  and my network  card or tcpip

in my firt installation   , my tcpip work and internet

if  install fat32 driver , it work on all drive  fat32 but i lost my tcpip and or the nework card

i use smp kernel  with  /smp   switch

Do you have the same problem.

bobvirago

Pete

Hi bobvirago

I've seen a similar problem when testing builds of uniaud HDA - if the uniaud driver loaded and worked I lost the ability to use the nic despite the drivers reporting they loaded successfully.

The problem there seems to be something to do with the amount of memory available to load drivers into - seems some drivers will overwrite memory used by another driver.

A possible cure is to add the following line to the end of the config.sys section called REM [ Kernel Directives ]

EARLYMEMINIT=TRUE

I think the above will try to load drivers into "high" memory. This cured the uniaud HDA/nic problem here and both load and work fine, hope it helps with your problem.

Regards

Pete

DavidG

I was wondering if you have the /H enabled on your ifs line in the config.sys.

IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /H /Q

The /H loads the driver into high memory.

David

PS - There is a new test version of FAT32 9.13.1 found in the files section of the Yahoo FAT32dev group.  This is an attempt to improve lazy-write cache performance.  SInce it is a test version, it is only in zip format.

KO stated the following:

But you should know the following.

WARNING!!! 'Writing codes' of this driver has been changed. So your
FAT32 partition can be corrupted. I don't care about your corruption.
So you should use this driver AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I myself have not had a chance to test writing to a removable drive with it with the cached32 enabled in the config.sys.  Hopefully, I will be able to test further this weekend.

David

Fahrvenugen

Yes, I have also had issues with the FAT32 driver loading / not loading, unless I put the /H tag on its IFS line.

As for the "new" version of the fat32 driver, I'd definitely only recommend using it on either a test system, or a system you have a full backup of.  Otherwise use one of the known stable versions.

Saijin_Naib

Will these changes be trickled down into a stable version?

DavidG

This could possibly be a stable version, however, we don't know this due to its lack of testing.  It has always been said that to speed up the write cache on the driver, it would take a major overhaul.  This means that KO has probably had to change a major portion of the code.  Thus the dire warning.  As always when testing new code, don't use it on a fat32 drive that you cannot afford to lose unless you have a good backup.

The driver is test 1 using this new code.  Any problems found and that are corrected will go into a later test version.

David

bobvirago

thanks all

the EARLYMEMINIT=TRUE       work for me

i install the fat32 v 1.9.12   and it work   with my nic card

bobvirago

DavidG

Quote from: David Graser on 2008.11.13, 11:35:49
This could possibly be a stable version, however, we don't know this due to its lack of testing.  It has always been said that to speed up the write cache on the driver, it would take a major overhaul.  This means that KO has probably had to change a major portion of the code.  Thus the dire warning.  As always when testing new code, don't use it on a fat32 drive that you cannot afford to lose unless you have a good backup.

The driver is test 1 using this new code.  Any problems found and that are corrected will go into a later test version.

David

I just tested this driver writing several large files to a USB drive.
This driver is a vast improvement over 9.12.1.

With the cache enabled, the write was smooth and fast. However, I
have not timed it to a drive with the cachef32 disabled.

One more note. With this driver, WRITE VERIFICATION does not crash
the system. Tested with Filestar. I have been using it since it came
out and have not encountered any problems so far.

David

DavidG

Quote from: David Graser on 2008.11.16, 01:22:22
Quote from: David Graser on 2008.11.13, 11:35:49

David

One more note. With this driver, WRITE VERIFICATION does not crash
the system. Tested with Filestar. I have been using it since it came
out and have not encountered any problems so far.

I must recant this statement.  I tested with another USB stick drive and write verification crashed the system.

David

DavidG

I made a warpin version of the 9.13 test 1 version.  Once applied, do NOT uninstall unless you plan on installing an earlier wpi version BEFORE rebooting. If you reboot without installing the previous FAT32 wpi, the system won't boot due the the OS2 directory being deleted from the path statement in the config.sys. By installing the previous version right away after uninstalling 0.13 test1 version, the OS2 directory is added back to the path statement in the config.sys file..

However, I have found this driver to be pretty stable.  Write verification doesn't work, but it did not work in version 9.12.1 either.

David