• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Intel 82540EM onboard NIC - slot not specified for driver instance 1 error

Started by halgorithm, 2008.11.21, 20:16:10

Previous topic - Next topic

halgorithm

*First, I may not be entirely sure if this belongs in the network portion of the forum, but I believe that it has something to do with the hardware.

I have a Dell GX270 with an onboard NIC that I have been struggling to get working correctly on OS/2 Warp 4.52.  I've ran out of expansion cards that I have been using in the past for network connectivity.  I use the most recent OS2 drivers from hobbes for this chipset.

Now, the kicker (which is driving me bozonkers).  It works, but doesn't work.  Meaning it fails on the DHCP bootup (gives error) but then it magically obtains an IP address assignment somehow.  I can ping it from another machine, but I'm not able to authenicate with the network, and this same network port works just fine with another machine that has a different NIC.   This same machine works with a different NIC in an expansion slot (a 3com card) and it authenticates just fine.

I used MPTS to install the drivers, which I obtained from hobbes.  I did a pcisniff on it to gather the information regarding the chip onboard and no errors installing.  I've also installed fresh and used this NIC along with this set of drivers and a different set from Intel.com.  No change in issue.

Any ideas? I've muddled through the ini files and stil can't sauce this issue out.

::EDIT::

I was wrong with it getting an IP address.  The DCHP tools say it will release but won't get a new valid lease.  I think it retained the IP address from when I had an expansion card plugged into the machine.  Do I need to try different drivers again or something?

Pete

Hi

Looking at the operating systems listed in the Select your operating system box on this page http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=983&lang=eng I do not see OS/2 listed.

Maybe the GenMAC package supports it, there is an Intel package available http://genmac.netlabs.org/site/index.xml

Regards

Pete

herwigb

The latest revisison of the Intel 1000 drivers is .... ummmh.... a bit strange.

Here it refuses to work correctly with a Intel Pro/1000 GT, when Gigabit is configured, while it works flawlessly with 100Mbit (and it is definitely no hardware issue)

The eCS 2.0 rcs therefore come with revision 3.62 of the driver and not the latest one (which works at Gigabit speed with my Intel Pro 1000 GT, too.)

So my advice would be: give multiple revisions of the driver a shot...
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

halgorithm

Oh this is a great help, thanks for the info!  I didn't have any idea something like genmac existed.  This will more then likely fix my issues!

Thanks again!

::EDIT::

Me again.  Looks like GenMac may not support the card.  Looked it up on Intel's site.

A78408-xxx
C91016-xxx IntelĀ® PRO/1000 MT Desktop PWLA8390MT RJ45, 10/100/1000, PCI, 82540EM
VendorID:8086, DevID:100E

Read through the GenMac docs, and it doesn't have this driver listed nor specified, or supported.

I'd like to see if I can:

A) find a driver, if it works the same, from my eCS livecd.  Not even sure if it is possible or not. 
OR
B) obtain the older drivers (3.63) from someplace.  Hobbes doesn't have them.
OR
C) find some 10mbit half duplex reference driver that works.  I could care less if it's at gigabit speed, or even megabit speed.

RobertM

If you cant find them on Intel's site, check the eComStation Driver Zone. If you dont have access or cant find them, let me know. I have 3 different revisions and currently am running the 3.6x revision. I'll dig up the whole package (or at least required files).

I think that version (or another usable one) also came with WSeB. If you've updated the driver, (assuming for a WSeB machine and not eCS), then simply copy the originals back off the WSeB disk and put them into IBMCOM\MACS directory. If it reports the driver/file is locked, then either (a) change the chosen network adapter to "No network adapter" reboot and then copy the files (and change back to the Intel driver), or (b) boot off the boot CDs and replace.

I believe I also have the older drivers on the Intel CD itself.

Let me know...
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

halgorithm

Quote from: Raiko on 2008.11.24, 21:19:12
Did you try this one?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=871&OSFullName=OS%2F2*&lang=eng&strOSs=10&submit=Go%21

Yes indeed.  Tried it before posting.  The driver version with these is 4.17, as are the ones off of Hobbes.  Also tried the 100mb ones, and those drivers refuse to actually work properly.  At least with the 4.17s, it installs, but fails to DHCP.

Did a pci probe to check and yes, I do have the right drivers.  Wrong version, maybe.  

A thought... maybe I have them misconfigured.  The reason I believe this is because of the initial error message in the subject and possibly a setting that wasn't configured on my part (not that I'm supposed to configure a setting in protocol.ini, but wouldn't be the first time I had to change a setting).

When I'm in MPTS and confirming the protocol stack that when I look at TCPIP config, it has nothing listed in there as an option set.  

Attached is my LANTRAN and it hasn't helped me.

RobertM

If both cards are Intel cards, you need to set the slot ID via MPTS. If such is the case, let me know and I will help you do so (if you havent figured out how yourself).

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

halgorithm

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.11.25, 02:07:09
If both cards are Intel cards, you need to set the slot ID via MPTS. If such is the case, let me know and I will help you do so (if you havent figured out how yourself).

Robert

I only have one Intel card I'm working with (the onboard) but do you think that it would benefit me if I did configure the setting for what slot it is in?

halgorithm

Quote from: Fahrvenugen on 2008.11.25, 05:25:55
You could try the IBM drivers at:

http://www.dreamlandbbs.com/files/gfd/sysnet/IBMGigab.zip

OKAY!  Used these drivers in MPTS and it is now working, powered down, unplugged, up, and working.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

*note:  still get that slot not specified for driver instance 1 message, but the DHCP is working now, it does get the address, it's printing and I can get logged into all my applications.

RobertM

Quote from: halgorithm on 2008.11.25, 20:10:33
*note:  still get that slot not specified for driver instance 1 message, but the DHCP is working now, it does get the address, it's printing and I can get logged into all my applications.

hal,

I touched on this below. All you need to do is know the slot ID of the cards in your system. Watching during boot and it should tell you. If not, use the PCI sniffer tool to read the PCI bus to get the slot IDs.

Then, open MPTS back up, click on "LAN Adapters and Protocols" and select the first card in the bottom listbox. Hit "Edit" and enter the slot ID in the appropriate field. Select the second card and do the same. "OK" out of that window, "Close" the next one and "Exit" the last one. Restart and you should no longer get an error.

"Buried" in the help for that field in MPTS (as defined by the card's NIF file) you will find the instructions on how to do this, which correspond to mine above:

(Slot Identifier)
Use of this parameter is only required in systems with more than one adapter installed.

If you are installing more than one PCI adapter:

1) complete the configuration process, but leave the Slot field blank for each driver;

2) restart the system and record the list of Slots that each driver displays;

3) complete the configuration by assigning one of the values from the list to
the Slot parameter of each driver.

Leave the field blank if you have only one adapter installed.

You may still get an informational message during boot though (paraphrased, as I cannot restart my server at the moment to get the exact wording) "Found x cards... using slot ID ____ for this instance" But that's fine.

If you have one NIC going to one hub/switch/router and the other NIC going to another one, you may have to reverse the slot IDs in MPTS so the correct card is activated for the correct protocol and related settings... but if like most people, you have one router/switch/hub, that part does not apply.

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

Robert I think you are going off on a blind alley at the moment.

The  onboard nic is the only one he has because the PCI slots are all used for other cards.  The message he is getting is most probably a left over artifact from the time he tried with a physical nic in a PCI slot in which all he needs to do is either use MPTS to remove the card  or edit the protocol.ini in ?:\ibmcom.

RobertM

Ivan,

You are indeed correct. Read the initial problem and missed a couple posts.

Hal, check out Ivan's suggestion.

Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

Robert, please don't think my post was any criticism of you - it was just my 40+ years as a diagnostic engineer coming to the fore.  In fact I find most of what you post very informative and learn from them even though I've been using OS/2 since version 1.3.01.