• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

How to remove old desktop and archive folders

Started by Kif, 2008.12.02, 23:24:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Kif

Hi

While doing some hard disk cleaning, I found I have several copies of old desktop, temporary desktop, installed features and archive folders in many weird places.

The old solution, moving to a floppy and format floppy, is not an option as I don't have a floppy any more, and I'm not allowed to move the folders to a memory card.

I know there are another way (I have used it a couple of years ago, but cannot remember how any more) but a search of the net has not yielded any solutions  :(

Does anyone here know how to do it ?

Thanks

Kim Foder

RobertM

Hi Kim,

Define "weird places" - if not in the root directory of the boot drive (and you havent tried to open them with the WPS), you should be able to use xdel (Hobbes) to delete them.

Back up your INI files as a precaution though.

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi Kim

Simple answer: Open a command window and use deltree.cmd to delete the offending Desktop directory trees eg

[K:\]deltree \driveh\26102008\desktop
Are you sure? (Y/N)
y

The screen then blurs as it reports success or failure. The bottom line should look like this

\driveh\26102008\desktop  ........ Directory removal was successful.

Just handy that I'm doing a little backup "cleanup" at the time the question got asked.

What? Where to get deltree.cmd? Ummm... probably hobbes... Aha! Here http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/file/deltree.zip

Regards

Pete

DavidG

If you use FM/2, I believe it is capable of deleting a lot of this garbage.

David

Kif

Hi

Thanks for your help, I did try deltree and it worked without any problems.

I'm fairly sure this was not the way I did it last time, but as I remember it this is far easier !

Kim Foder

Pete

Hi Kim

Glad it helped  :-)

I have found the odd occasion where dletree has failed to delete a directory but running the following command against the directory followed by another go with deltree always works

attrib -r -s -h [directory_to_delete]\* /s

Change [directory_to_delete] to whatever the directory is called.

Regards

Pete