• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Weird issues trying to install OS/2 Warp 4.52 CP2 - I'm going insane!

Started by Agent24, 2009.01.09, 04:09:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent24

I recently decided to try OS/2 out since I never have used it before, and I'm always interested in trying something different - but am having some strange issues when trying to install it.

I've got several old PCs I'm willing to try it on but currently have only tried it on 2 of them. I don't know much about the hardware requirements for OS/2 but I think they should be compatible/fast enough.

Currently I was trying on a Pentium II 450mhz and also a Pentium II 350mhz PC, but I get the same results (read: problems) on each one. Each has 196MB of RAM and I've got "boot to OS/2 above 64MB" enabled in the BIOS on each.

I can boot from the CD fine, after which it asks me to insert the other one. It'll go through partitioning the drive (I have a 2.1GB Seagate - and chose one big partition) and then formatting it (I chose HPFS) and then gets to copying the files.

This goes well until the file copy suddenly stops with this error:

"SYS0318: Message file OSO001.MSG cannot be found for message  3175." (for detail refer to attached OS2 001.JPG)

All I can do is exit that error and get it to show me the last file it was copying - a certain C:\OS2\SYSTEM\NAMEMOVE.EXE (for detail refer to attached OS2 002.JPG)

I can wait as long as I like, nothing happens. The only thing to do is to turn the PC off.

I searched google and found this: http://service5.boulder.ibm.com/pspsdocs.nsf/c7a34b35e55986f9862563cc00604815/bfb716a4d766404a862563fb004d2f14?OpenDocument

The only problem is that I cannot boot from the floppies at all. It all works fine until it asks me to insert Disk 2 (the third and last one you insert) at which point the floppy drive light starts flashing on and off very quickly. If I do insert Disk 2, I don't need to press enter and immediately I get this next error:

"S/2 is unable to operate your hard disk or diskette drive. The system is stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system."

(for detail refer to attached OS2 003.JPG)

This same problem happens even after I edit the CONFIG.SYS file as in IBM's document.

Is my hardware too old (or too new!) ?

Do I need special drivers for the floppy drive/controller ? (I highly doubt that would be the case, though)

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

DougB

QuoteCurrently I was trying on a Pentium II 450mhz and also a Pentium II 350mhz PC, but I get the same results (read: problems) on each one. Each has 196MB of RAM and I've got "boot to OS/2 above 64MB" enabled in the BIOS on each.

Turn OFF "boot to OS/2 above 64MB". That is ONLY for OS/2 v2.x. Later versions don't work with that.

Agent24

Thanks for the note, I didn't know that setting was for specific versions (although it makes sense now)

I did turn it off on both systems, but unfortunately I still get the exact same problems.

if IBM is correct, then editing CONFIG.SYS on the floppy should fix the CD problem. However, booting from floppy doesn't work, as I said earlier.

I assume this is what I need to work on - any more ideas on how to overcome this?

Should I try a different system? Newer? older? 486 or Athlon 64?  ???

Maybe there is something wrong with the floppies. Can I make new ones or does OS/2 need to be installed first...

DougB

Those systems should work, unless they have some really weird hardware in them. My first guess, is that you have a defective CD (could also be two bad CD drives, with read problems). You could try to copy it to a hard disk, to see if it gives read errors. If it does, you will need a new CD, but I have no idea where/if you can get one, unless you can pick one up from E-Bay. Since you have MCP2, I would suggest that getting eComStation might be an option. The installer works a LOT better, and there are many fixes applied, that MCP2 doesn't have.

You can build new floppies, using a batch file that is in the root of the CD. I believe it is MAKEDSKS.BAT (for a DOS, or windows system, but NOT with XP, or newer, since they aren't smart enough to be able to run the required program), or MAKEDSKS.CMD, if you have an OS/2 system (command line is adequate). I doubt if this will fix your problem, since you seem to be able to boot from the CD, and are having the problem while copying from the CD. Booting from the diskettes, still requires that you copy the files from the CD.

I think the IBM tip is for much older versions of OS/2, so I wouldn't consider that to be a potential fix.

If that doesn't help, perhaps a little more detail about the systems might suggest something.

Agent24

Well.. I've tried several CD drives, and I checked the CDs by making ISO images of them, so I doubt it's a media problem - Besides - shouldn't it actually give a "file unreadable" error message if that was the problem?

Both systems are quite different.. so the exact same error on both is rather odd

The first system I was trying - It was my first choice as I figured the hardware was very common and should work:

Pentium II 350 Mhz Slot 1
Gigabyte GA-6BXC (Intel 440BX Chipset)
196MB of PC-100 in 3x 64MB sticks
S3 Trio 3D/2X AGP running 17" CRT
No sound or LAN or Modem
Standard 1.44MB Floppy drive
Seagate ST32140A (Primary Master) and Standard 40X CD-ROM (at the moment - Secondary master) (Both on autodetect in BIOS)
Standard PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse

2nd System:

Pentium III 450 Mhz Slot 1
PC-Chips M748LMRT v1.5 (SiS 620 Chipset)
196MB of PC-100 in 3x 64MB sticks
Onboard SiS in 620 AGP running 17" CRT
Onboard LAN (Davicom DM9102F)
Onboard PCTel Modem
Onboard C-Media CMI8738 Audio
Standard 1.44MB Floppy drive
Same Seagate ST32140A (Primary Master) and Diamond Data 48X CD-ROM (Secondary master) (Both on autodetect in BIOS)
PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse

Anything strange about these?
Are there any BIOS settings that could cause these problems, or are known to cause problems?

I'm going to try a 3rd system and see what happens. I'll also try a 386 just for a laugh... we'll see what happens

DougB

QuoteBesides - shouldn't it actually give a "file unreadable" error message if that was the problem?

Unfortunately, CDs don't always indicate that there was an error. Making an ISO may simply replicate the error, with no questions asked. Since you have the same error, on two systems, I am inclined to believe that the CD is bad, somehow. Perhaps, somebody who has an MCP2 CD can create a MD5 signature for it, and you can compare that to what you get.

Your systems seem to be pretty standard, although there was a time when the SIS chipset was a problem, but I think that problem was fixed by the time that MCP2 was created. The only questionable device, might be the PCTel modem. It likely won't work, if it is a "winmodem", but it won't stop an install.

Three things come to mind, that can cause problems, although having two, different, systems, with the same symptoms, really doesn't point in this direction:

1) OS/2 will find bad memory, almost as fast as the heavy duty memory test programs will. I have seen windows (3.1, at the time), run for days, with no problems, but OS/2 (warp 3) wouldn't even boot. Once the bad memory was replaced, there were no more problems.

2) There was a time, long ago, when the "Turbo" switch was common, that it was recommended to install OS/2 at the slow speed. If your systems are overclocked, it would be a good idea to put them back to normal.

3) Check the jumpers on your disk, and CD drives, to be sure that Master and Slave are correct. Windows doesn't care, and OS/2, with the later Dani IDE driver, will work, if the jumpers are wrong, but the IBM IDE driver, which will be on the MCP2 CD, will choke on that sort of thing.

rwklein

From what I read it sounds like somehow your CD is damaged or you CD player has difficulty reading the CD (which could be a mechanical problem in your CD ROM drive as well.

The fact you get the "can't operate hard disc" message is (from what I see in your screenshots) is because the install process terminates because of that crash. It never finishes writing the config.sys/copying files to HDD.

Making boot floppies won't work either I'm afraid since somehow that read problem will occur again.

Best regards,

Roderick Klein
Mensys

RobertM

Quote from: rwklein on 2009.01.09, 18:21:01
From what I read it sounds like somehow your CD is damaged or you CD player has difficulty reading the CD (which could be a mechanical problem in your CD ROM drive as well.

The fact you get the "can't operate hard disc" message is (from what I see in your screenshots) is because the install process terminates because of that crash. It never finishes writing the config.sys/copying files to HDD.

Making boot floppies won't work either I'm afraid since somehow that read problem will occur again.

Best regards,

Roderick Klein
Mensys

I have also seen "Cant operate hard disks" with Warp v4.52 and earlier when an unrecognized file system is installed (use dfSee to delete all partitions and MBR) - OR when the IBM1S506 driver does not properly recognize certain chipset features (replacing all instances of said driver on the CDs with the Dani Driver renamed resolves this). The first is unlikely. The second is possible if there's something funky going on in the drive translation.

The other occasional cause I have seen are on some older chipsets due to drive location on the IDE buses. The working method for older chipsets is:
IDE 0 Master - HDD
IDE 0 Slave - HDD or nothing
IDE 1 Master - HDD or nothing
IDE 1 Slave - CD ROM

Also, it is suggested to use the Master/Slave jumpers on the drives, and not the cable select jumper position. If you are using 80pin cables, ensure that the drive placement corresponds to the drive's jumper settings.

As for BIOS options, disable caches, and do NOT select "OS/2" for the memory section. Never select OS/2 for any setting in the BIOS, or you will have problems. Also, sometimes, fooling with the "Plug and Play OS" setting helps - if yours is not labelled in such fashion (which it should be on an Intel chipset if it exists) and instead has operating systems listed, select Win95, Win98, etc.

The Trap generally points to a memory error in this case, or a corrupted file (either on the CD, or when copied, etc). This is when proper cabling and jumpering is important to eliminate such. I've gotten to a similar point and had OS/2 not be able to read what it just wrote, all because of a cabling or jumper issue.

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

warpcafe

Hi DougB,

Quote from: DougB on 2009.01.09, 04:18:26
Turn OFF "boot to OS/2 above 64MB". That is ONLY for OS/2 v2.x. Later versions don't work with that.

That puzzles me. Has anyone here really found that to make a difference? My understanding is that since Warp4 (kernel... ?) this setting doesn't impact at all any more. I remember to have installed almost anything since OS/2 2.x until eCS 2.0rc6 on machines ranging from 386-40 up to AMD DualCore machines... and whenever that setting was in the BIOS, toggling it to either value didn't make a difference IIRC (at least, ok, since PentiumI times... true for 386...).
I doubt that I just "was lucky" in matching OS/2 versions with CPU eras...

@Agent24:
The message (text) for the error "SYS3175" (that can't be found) indicates an access violation. Now...
this actually means - to put it that way - that data in the machines memory isn't correct. That can happen because of (like the others said):
- a defective CD media
- a defective CD drive
- a defectice memory module ("RAM module")
- a "speed setting" in your machines BIOS (-> see "turbo" button note above from DougB)

The cause for the error in your scenario most likely is either
- trying to "unzip" data into a region of a defective memory module
- a program accessing data from an address that is determined by using corrupted data

As for the remaining issues - forget it. This is just the effects of the first one. Unless the copy process did not finish correctly, I wouldn't go into analyzing and finding culprits. By the way - what version of OS/2 are you trying to install?

HTH, regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

DougB

QuoteTurn OFF "boot to OS/2 above 64MB". That is ONLY for OS/2 v2.x. Later versions don't work with that.

That puzzles me. Has anyone here really found that to make a difference? My understanding is that since Warp4 (kernel... ?) this setting doesn't impact at all any more. I remember to have installed almost anything since OS/2 2.x until eCS 2.0rc6 on machines ranging from 386-40 up to AMD DualCore machines... and whenever that setting was in the BIOS, toggling it to either value didn't make a difference IIRC (at least, ok, since PentiumI times... true for 386...).
I doubt that I just "was lucky" in matching OS/2 versions with CPU eras...

As I recall, turning that on, with newer versions of OS/2, actually limits the amount of initial memory that OS/2 can use. It should not be on, unless you are running the antique OS/2 2.x, but it doesn't always prevent a system from working, although you may see some odd problems, that you might not relate to that setting.

RobertM

Thomas,

I've run into problems with it. Not sure why. Perhaps because in limiting the address range, it prevents certain hardware from being assigned address space - something similar to the issue with certain ancient Adaptec cards (the 1520 perhaps?). But that is just a guess, and my problems may have been specific to my hardware combination (problems with Warp 3 & 4 - havent tried newer versions with that setting enabled).

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Agent24

Thanks - it looks like the CDs were at fault after all. I eventually got some new ones and I've got OS/2 installed and running  ;D

If I do want to install on any newer machines - how do I go about replacing drivers on the CD? I assume I'd need to make an ISO image, edit that with something like MagicISO and then burn to another CD?

Also, how do drivers work in general on OS/2? at the moment I'm running in a horrible 640x480 display... I tried choosing my video card when installing (card is S3 Trio3D/2X) but OS/2 told me that the driver I chose was wrong - so I went back to the default which gives me no other choice but 640x480

Pete

Hi Agent24

You may want to investigate using UpdateCD http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm

With regard to video card driver you need this http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/video/scitech/snap-os2-3.1.8.exe *plus* this http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/video/scitech/snap-os2-3.1.8.free-reg-code.txt

Regards

Pete

[Fixed URL's - Ian]

dkellyb717

Quote from: Agent24 on 2009.01.16, 00:03:34
Thanks - it looks like the CDs were at fault after all. I eventually got some new ones and I've got OS/2 installed and running  ;D
Reading your post, it looks like I have run into the exact same issue.  Install stops while reading the exact same file "NAMEMOVE.EXE" and gives me the exact same error message. I am installing to a virtual machine. I have tried both VirtualBox and Hyper-V with the same result.

I have successfully installed an older version (Warp 4.0). However, the VirtualBox guest additions (video driver, mouse integration) won't work because of a missing Kernel Execution Environment (KEE) driver. It seems my best bet was to move up to 4.52. However, I am having this namemove.exe problem.

Do you have any suggestions for either patching this cd with a valid file, or obtaining the media outright? Is the namemove.exe on 4.0 the same version as is on 4.52?

Thanks!