• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OORexx site FAQ comment regarding OS/2 has changed

Started by zircon, 2009.02.17, 03:24:33

Previous topic - Next topic

zircon

Last year it said :

The source code provided to RexxLA was maintained by one group of IBM developers. The source code for OS/2 is maintained by a different group of IBM developers, and that source code base was not supplied to RexxLA. One of the future tasks for this project is to port the Open Source code for ooRexx to OS/2.

Now it says just:

The source code provided to RexxLA was maintained by one group of IBM developers. The source code for OS/2 is maintained by a different group of IBM developers, and that source code base was not supplied to RexxLA.

The URL is http://www.oorexx.org/faq/

warpcafe

Hi,

damn... that's bad.
Doesn't sound like we're likely to see an oorexx port, unless someone redoes it from scratch. (Volunteers? ;) )
Not sure what the problem behind it is, perhaps big blue doesn't want to give things away that are also heavily used on their big irons... hmm. While licensing and IP matters are very likely in such scenarios, I can't think of how that should be the case with rexx...

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

abwillis

The REXX code was owned by group A who decided to open source the code.  Group B owned the OS/2 REXX code.  I don't know the reason why, perhaps they were afraid there was IP owned by someone else or perhaps someone was to lazy to find the OS/2 code but Group B decided to not make their code available.  I am sure it had nothing to do with big iron as that code was probably released.  There have been at least 2 people start porting REXX.  One was using VAC and the other OW.  I started trying to just build it from the Linux codebase with GCC.  I didn't actually do anything but try to run configure and make and see where it got toi (not far as I recall) but the two others got along aways and then Life got in the way for them.  Unfortunately, their work was not available to pick up on.  I need to try again now that I have some improvements in my build system and using GCC 4.3.3.
Andy