• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

RC6a non working sound

Started by Phil, 2009.02.19, 05:34:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Hi To All:

I have been successful in getting a stable sys with RC6a, but without acpi. Have not suceeded in getting a stable sys that way,  and no sound. Am now working on sound problem.  I tried re installing base mmos2, still no sound and when rebooted got the following error msg.
sys1201 the device driver  D:\os2\boot.com specified in the device statement on line 219 of config.sys file was not installed line 219 ignored  press enter to continue.

Second sys1201 msg  same except this one is D:\os2\mdos\vcom.sys  line 50.

searching thru config.sys (using two methods, direct counting lines and using enhanced E editor
by pillarsoft)

Line 219 actually is---- run= D:\os2\system\logdaem.exe
Line 50  actually is---- device=D:\tcpip\bin\vdosstcp.sys

The real  device = statments for \os2\boot.com and \os2\mdos\vcom.sys had been previously
been remmed out.
Any ideas, suggestions on what is causing what appears to be an anomally in the config .sys file
will be reatly appreciated
Regards
Phil Ryan

DougB

I believe that the line number discrepancy is caused, because OS/2 actually reads the CONFIG.SYS multiple times, selecting different types of entries, on each pass, and counting the lines as it executes them.The result is, that what it has counted, bears no relation to the line number in CONFIG.SYS.

It may help, if you told us, exactly, what audio adapter you have. PCI.EXE, from HOBBES, should show the information.

ACPI can also be a bit of a challenge. Again, it might help, if you described your system, in more detail, and exactly what it does, or doesn't do, when you try ACPI.

osw

Quote from: Phil on 2009.02.19, 05:34:49
Hi To All:

I have been successful in getting a stable sys with RC6a, but without acpi. Have not suceeded in getting a stable sys that way,  and no sound. Am now working on sound problem.  I tried re installing base mmos2, still no sound and when rebooted got the following error msg.
sys1201 the device driver  D:\os2\boot.com specified in the device statement on line 219 of config.sys file was not installed line 219 ignored  press enter to continue.

Second sys1201 msg  same except this one is D:\os2\mdos\vcom.sys  line 50.

searching thru config.sys (using two methods, direct counting lines and using enhanced E editor
by pillarsoft)

Line 219 actually is---- run= D:\os2\system\logdaem.exe
Line 50  actually is---- device=D:\tcpip\bin\vdosstcp.sys

The real  device = statments for \os2\boot.com and \os2\mdos\vcom.sys had been previously
been remmed out.
Any ideas, suggestions on what is causing what appears to be an anomally in the config .sys file
will be reatly appreciated
Regards
Phil Ryan

Hi!

Well, your problems with unwanted drivers, sounds familiar to me... for some reasons com port drivers are forced to be present in config sys after fresh install. No matter you specify you don't want them, they will there. I did switch off com support in bios (I've no single device to plug it into... nor I will) - no matter - they are there. So to rem them out is necessary. But again once you touch installer (like mmos2 base install) they will back there also booting from original config.sys gives them back... so It's some internal installer idiotism... that is only my teory.
Solution is to check config.sys carefully if there are no duplicates of those lines without rem at the beginning, if so rem them out once again, it should work.
Regarding to buggy numbering of lines in config sys - I'm almost sure it has nothing to do with the way kernel process the file. I would rather suspect some editor actions like line wrapping, eol, eof marking and so. That's why I use simplest possible editor for config.sys tunning - internal (F4) editor of File Commander/2 - it won't harm file no way. 

You said you got no sound. Hard to tell what's wrong until you give some details about hardware (sound card or codec chip on motherboard) - but It might be that you need acpi to get uniaudio working right with some newer hardware - acpi gives you apic - so extended interrupts are what you need to avoid some resource conflicts. Anyway acpi is worth of some effort - it gives you some features unavailable other way (multicore support for instance) so dig a little deeper in manuals, sometimes just few "magicall" params with acpi.psd is all you need to get it work.
Second solution of sound issue is to find old sblive (emu101) card on ebay or so. For few bucks you got perfect sound with working drivers (native and uniaudio) - but if you have mobile computer - it's not for you and you must try to fire it up with uniaudio - with variable rate of success.

cheers

Pete

Hi Phil

Are you sure the correct config.sys is being processed at boot? - you can have several files with the "title" name config.sys but only 1 with the "real" name config.sys. Is it possible you have edited a "title" rather than "real" name? It could explain the line number discrepancies...

Is this a typo? "sys1201 the device driver  D:\os2\boot.com specified in ..."  ??

You may find duplicate entries exist in the "real" config.sys file for com.sys and vcom.sys - did notice that on 1 system here.

As regards getting audio working it would help if you post some detail about the mainboard and audio chipsets involved as it is possible that someone already has sound working with those chipsets and will be able to give specific advice.

Regards

Pete

Phil

Dougb, Osw and Pete:

Thanks for your responses.  Am a bit slow in responding back because I spent most of the day
trying different switches to get acpi stable.  Tried smp/apic and smp/apic/nod and, on first re boot showed 2 processors and ran ok up to end of check disk with file system clean.  then started loading info that I am unfamiliar with concerning acpi.  process halted at the sys1201 error for \boot\com.sys and \mdos\vcom.sys also the last good boot halted at  \boot\pscom.sys and Pete thanks for catching my typo.  2nd reboot system stopped at the blue screen right before desktop comes up.
Tried smp/pic with the same results.
Went over the config.sys file very carefully and found only one instance of the fore mentioned ,sys files, and I had remmed out all three earlier.  Opening os drive I find only one config,sys file, there are several config.xxx files, but each has a different file extension.

This computer is a laptop and is extremly limited in bios options.
Audio adapter=nvidia  and chipset extant cx20549 (venice)

HP dv9623cl Laptop
CPU info - 1 CPU(s) found]
manufacturer: AMD
socket:       Socket S1
family:       
type:         AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile TL58
SMP capable:  yes

[BIOS info]
manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
version:      F.30
date:         04/24/2008

[Systemboard info]
manufacturer: Quanta
type:         30D1
version:      85.26

[Kernel info]
level:        IBM:14.104a
description:  W4

[No ACPI currently installed]

Pete

Hi Phil

Looks like an nVidia nForce chipset in use in that system so this line may be of help:-

PSD=ACPI.PSD /SMP /CD /TMR /APIC /!NOD

I base the above suggestion on the fact that I have 2 nForce430 chipset based systems that use the above successfully. I'll let you hunt through the ACPI docs to discover what the switches do  :-)

If you have the RC6a supplied ACPI installed what is this about? "then started loading info that I am unfamiliar with concerning acpi" - the standard ACPI package does not really display more than the numbers of processors *before* chkdsk runs.

Audio may be a bit of a problem and require experimentation - and possibly a working ACPI  :-)

I suggest using the RC6a uniaud as the "base" package (using Uninstall Desktop -> Local System -> Install/Remove -> Multimedia Application Install to Uninstall and then Install the base package) then try different versions of uniaud32.sys starting with http://download.smedley.info/uniaud32-1.9.2.zip and working through the later packages, if necessary, from http://download.smedley.info/ - simply unzip the uniaud32.sys file to replace the existing version in \MMOS2; keep a note of which 1 works (if any) just in case of future problems.

Hopefully 1 of the 1.9.x builds will work...

Not sure what the *com.sys and related driver errors are caused by though...

I still suspect that you are not booting using the config.sys file that you have edited to REM those drivers.

If you boot using the Rc6a CD Maintenance Console option, open a command line window, change to the boot drive involved and run this command:-

dir config.sys /s

How many copies of config.sys are on the drive?

There should only be 1 in the root of the drive so it is fairly easy to doublecheck that it is the file you think it is:-

tedit config.sys

Have a read through just to check it is the correct file. If it is then I have no idea why you should get those drivers trying to load - your system does not have a com port does it?

A thought occurs: the CONFIG.SYS file that would be used if you forced the system to boot from the original install config.sys probably contains those drivers - have a look at \os2\install\config.sys.

The question would then be: Why is the system using that file at boot instead of the file in the root of the drive? Of course, you can edit this file to REM those drivers to get around the problem.

Hope the above is of some help.

Pete

osw

Hi Phil!
You wrote:
(...)
[Kernel info]
level:        IBM:14.104a
description:  W4
[No ACPI currently installed]
(...)

So make up your mind - if you want to use both cores of your machine you need acpi support - and SMP kernel instead W4.
Also, you mentioned boot process stopped on com drivers - stopped? or just paused - and pressing enter push process further?
As for now it looks to me you don't have stable install - or worse - your installation process failed somewhere and that's why system starts with "install config.sys" - what could explain those stubborn com drivers somehow...

So if your not far from install - I mean you didn't start to use productivity apps on it, it won't be big loss to install it again with smp, acpi  and  uniaudio as it might turn out your current install isn't perfect and re-installation will cost you least effort.
But perhaps somebody on forum has better ideas - so you must decide.

cheers

Phil

To Pete and osw:

Thanks for all your suggestions.:
Pete I tried your suggested switches for apic and helped quite a bit, but still somewhat un stable, did get rid of unwanted drivers.  I flailed around with this and for couple of days and then broke down and re installed the os.  After reinstalling, computer came up (loaded only drivers it was supposed to and two processors ) with a very stable platform (with your suggested apci switches Pete), but still no sound (am in the process of trying  Paul Smedelys uniaud ports). ECS mpg video player not working.  My old program Bluecad will not install (worked great in a single processor enviroment).  Other than those three issues,  apprars to br a very solid working enviorment.

Regards
Phil

osw

Quote from: Phil on 2009.02.24, 06:31:31
To Pete and osw:

Thanks for all your suggestions.:
Pete I tried your suggested switches for apic and helped quite a bit, but still somewhat un stable, did get rid of unwanted drivers.  I flailed around with this and for couple of days and then broke down and re installed the os.  After reinstalling, computer came up (loaded only drivers it was supposed to and two processors ) with a very stable platform (with your suggested apci switches Pete), but still no sound (am in the process of trying  Paul Smedelys uniaud ports). ECS mpg video player not working.  My old program Bluecad will not install (worked great in a single processor enviroment).  Other than those three issues,  apprars to br a very solid working enviorment.

Regards
Phil

Hi Phil!
It's good to hear things got better a bit for you.
As for sound - trying various builds of uniaudio seems to be only solution for mobiles (especially new ones), and hopefully will work.
I would not cry for ecs mpg player - it's awfully old and never suited for some serious multimedia playing - look for some decent players - like mplayer, kmp - or even old warpvision, instead. All above will do much better job here, assuming you will get eventually sound working.
Could you give  some details about non installing Bluecad, pls? It might be problem with missing installer files. I spent some "happy time" recently, installing another old app - Embellish - and issue was missing installer files and not app itself. It may also apply to Bluecad if it use old ibm installer too.

cheers

Pete

Hi Phil

Glad to hear things are coming together  :-)

Forget the ancient mainly useless video players included with eCS. Search for mplayer, a command line video player, and Smplayer, the GUI to go with the player - worth looking on os2world for some info as there is a "How To" for mplayer somewhere that should help.

You now have a dual/multi core processor running and the bluecad installer may not like that. You can "mark" the installer - and Bluecad if necessary - executable as "not SMP friendly" which sometimes helps. The app to do this is markexe.exe and is found in the os/2 toolkit. The command line would look like:-

markexe mpunsafe x:\path\filename.exe

I use ZipControl (OS/2 version) which started misbehaving soon after I got a dual core system running and using markexe on zipcintrl.exe has reduced the instances of ZipControl "misbehaving" to almost zero in 2 years...

Regards

Pete