• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

gdb for gcc 4.4, why never ported?

Started by cytan, 2009.08.05, 09:35:17

Previous topic - Next topic

cytan

Hi,
   I'm just curious why gdb 6.8 was never ported to OS/2 except for the old emx gdb port? Is there a technical reason why gdb cannot be ported to OS/2? For debugging without printf's it's really nice to have a real debugger.

Thanks!

cytan

lewhoo

Quote from: cytan on 2009.08.05, 09:35:17
Hi,
   I'm just curious why gdb 6.8 was never ported to OS/2 except for the old emx gdb port? Is there a technical reason why gdb cannot be ported to OS/2? For debugging without printf's it's really nice to have a real debugger.

I remember myself asking similar question a long time ago. It seems that most OS/2 developers find gdb far from being a good debugger. You can use other debuggers with gcc compiled code (although you have to specify correct flags), like VAC debugger and some other debuggers available on hobbes. For me (a non-developer) each of them was superior to gdb.

cytan

Quote from: lewhoo on 2009.08.05, 11:44:13
Hi,

I remember myself asking similar question a long time ago. It seems that most OS/2 developers find gdb far from being a good debugger. You can use other debuggers with gcc compiled code (although you have to specify correct flags), like VAC debugger and some other debuggers available on hobbes. For me (a non-developer) each of them was superior to gdb.

I think it'll still be useful for people without access to VAC++. I've used gdb and don't find it that bad!

cytan

Paul Smedley

Hi,

This is on the 'planned' list to look at eventually.....