• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Apache, PHP and Timezones

Started by RobertM, 2009.09.05, 06:20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hey all,

Most of you may never have run into this - but I just did, and figured I would pass it along in case it would help someone else.

I've got a WAMP setup on my system, that among other things (Typo3, Joomla, WordPress, SMF) I use to query Amazon AWS for product information. AWS requests are time sensitive. Thus, for me, it would not work unless I set my clock 4 hours ahead.

Here's why. PHP (and/or Apache) with the timezone properly set in php.ini were getting confused because of the TZ string format in eCS's config.sys file.

The format (for compatibility with PHP) apparently should not be:
SET TZ=PST8PDT,3,2,0,7200,11,1,0,7200,3600

But instead should be:
SET TZ=PST8PDT

Note: Of course, substitute for your correct timezone... mine actually should read EST5EDT

More hints & info here (PHP is not the only thing affected by this):
http://www.deltasys.org/ecsindex.html

For those of you making time sensitive PHP requests to other servers, hopefully this will help.

Best,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Ben

Hey.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll give that a try.

Andi

The additional settings in eComStation are needed for 'daylight saving time' changes AFAIK. Probably you do not need it if you get the actual time from a time server or simply never want to let eCS change DST by itself.

Michal explained this in the OpenWatcom bug tracker (http://bugzilla.openwatcom.org/show_bug.cgi?id=834). If you encounter such problems maybe it depends on the compiler which is used for your app. If you use Pauls builds it does not hurt to ask him about that.

I wonder if these additional settings are even there if you deselect the option in the eCS installer.

RobertM

Interesting thing... for some reason, my TZ variable was reset to the original (which made my PHP/Amazon AWS stuff stop working again)... I thought I had disabled the eCS clock program, but I guess I need to doublecheck that, as I am guessing that may be the cause.

-Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Quote from: RobertM on 2009.12.04, 00:07:12
Interesting thing... for some reason, my TZ variable was reset to the original (which made my PHP/Amazon AWS stuff stop working again)... I thought I had disabled the eCS clock program, but I guess I need to doublecheck that, as I am guessing that may be the cause.

-Rob

The CLKBASIC.EXE RUN statement in the config.sys file needs to be disabled to allow the timezone to not be changed to something that does not work with Apache.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Andi

IIRC there is a check box in one of the eCS clock settings which is labeled something like 'allow to change config.sys'. Wonder if this would have cured your problem too.