• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Flash10 Preview not working here

Started by Pete, 2009.10.09, 21:18:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Joachim

Quote from: Pete on 2009.10.09, 21:18:53

The Warpin Installer should check where PROGRAMS is set - I was not impressed to find the software wanted to install to the Non-Existent [BootDrive]:\PROGRAMS location. Checking the Warpin Script used for the installation confirms that this package expects to find PROGRAMS on the BootDrive: TARGET="?:\PROGRAMS\FLASH10"

The package was refreshed today, if you (re)download it will now respect the PROGRAMS environment variable.
It also fixes the problem of the incorrect target directory, referencing the browser executable.

Result: Browser started and hung immediately, the mouse pointer disappeared and keyboard input was blocked. My only recourse was to press the system box Reset Button.

This is almost certainly the LIBPATHSTRICT problem. Try to start the browser directly, without the 'L' option from Rich Walsh.
This is a known restriction which will be lifted in a future release.

Regards,

Joachim Benjamins

Pete

Hi Joachim

Quote from: Joachim on 2009.10.12, 17:06:42

Result: Browser started and hung immediately, the mouse pointer disappeared and keyboard input was blocked. My only recourse was to press the system box Reset Button.

This is almost certainly the LIBPATHSTRICT problem. Try to start the browser directly, without the 'L' option from Rich Walsh.
This is a known restriction which will be lifted in a future release.

Regards,

Joachim Benjamins

The above is incorrect as LIBPATHSTRICT is *not* in use as it is *not* needed to run Seamonkey browser/mail/news/Whatever all at the same time.

The problem seems to be the amount of "debris" that accompanies a Flash7 installation. Removing *all* Flash7 related files from the plugins directory and reinstalling resolved that - see my 2nd post in this thread.

However, Flash10 did not then work very well, crashing browser and/or operating system after a short period of playback - between seconds and a few minutes - again, see my 2nd post in this thread.

I'll give the updated package a try and see if it now installs OK and if that improves playback so that the system does not crash at least.

Regards

Pete

Note: Only restored missing quote tag -Rob

DougB

QuoteThe package was refreshed today, if you (re)download it will now respect the PROGRAMS environment variable.
It also fixes the problem of the incorrect target directory, referencing the browser executable.

Well, it does follow the PROGRAMS environment variable, but it still doesn't follow the Mozilla scheme to find Plugins. If I remember correctly, it looks for:
SET MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=
SET MOZILLA_HOME=
and finally:
the firefox install directory. IN THAT ORDER. The LAST place that you want to put something like Pugins, is in the firefox install directory. They tend to get lost, when the user removes the install directory, to do an update. If there are Plugins in there, it is necessary to move them elsewhere, remove the install directory, install the new firefox, then put the Plugins back. The FLASH10 installer needs to look in the MOZILLA_HOME directory, and use that, before it goes putting Plugins into the install directory.

I expect that SeaMonkey looks in the same places, and has the same problems with having Plugins put into the install directory.

Pete

Hi Joachim

I installed the later package and started the browser - then pressed the Reset button on the system box; No change there.

After the reboot the browser did start - is there any reason installing Flash10 requires a reboot? - without problems.

Flash10 works much the same as before ie very prone to crashing browser and/or system during playback.

Any idea if Flash10 is in any way optimised to use any particular uniaud build?

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi Joachim

Just to add that after a Flash10 induced system crash and reboot I could not start my browser without the system crashing - repeatable for 3 attempts.

After the 5th reboot I uninstalled Flash10 - No problem then starting the browser.

Hopefully the next release will work a lot better  :-)

Pete

jep

Hi,

do you use Firefox 3.x?
    then see below

did you select to restore the session and the opened tabs/windows as you restarted?
If so, one (or more pages) contain the problematic flash animation.

• The easy solution is to identify the page (e.g. by name) and uncheck the corresponding page/window in the list and continue from where you where before.
  • An alternative solution is to switch to that tab/window as fast as possible and hope it doesn't load the flash animation before you can trigger it to go to a safe page (e.g. you start page).
  • You can also select the button "Start a new session" and that way start from scratch all together.

//Jan-Erik

Flash 10 work great on some sites for me, but use a lot of CPU on others, but I have reports from colleagues here at work that that is the case in Win as well. The great part is that firefox is now easier to kill in such situations and the option to "restore session" help a lot when one want to explore new sites.

Pete

hi jep

The browser crashed during startup - it does not get to display the  "restore session" page.

No, I'm using Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4pre) Gecko/20090924 SeaMonkey/2.0pre

Regards

Pete

djcaetano

I know it is stated that Flash10 will work only on eCS 1.2 or up, but anyone knows what
prevents it from running on OS/2 4.52 with latest fixes?
  I tried to install it here (since I was not able to install eCS 2.0RC in this machine yet)
and Mozilla simply ignores it (I placed all files on \plugins directory). "about:plugins"
just do not show any flash entry.

lpino

Quote from: djcaetano on 2009.10.13, 22:15:36

I know it is stated that Flash10 will work only on eCS 1.2 or up, but anyone knows what
  I tried to install it here (since I was not able to install eCS 2.0RC in this machine yet)
and Mozilla simply ignores it (I placed all files on \plugins directory). "about:plugins"
just do not show any flash entry.

ODIN maybe?

djcaetano

Quote from: lpino on 2009.10.13, 23:01:04
ODIN maybe?

Hi Leonardo!

I noticed that ODIN DLLs are placed at \FLASH10 directory; I added this
directory to libpath (using BEGINLIBPATH directive, on the CMD I use
to run FireFox). Nothing. I even tried do copy all DLLs of \FLASH10
directory to \plugins directory. No luck.

Should I test adding \FLASH10 on my regular config.sys' LIBPATH?

Regards!

ivan

So this is a bastardised windows plugin with all the attendant problems this will bring.

I question this apparent obsession with converting  windows utilities for use with OS/2 when Innotek is no longer doing the conversion.  Why not use the Linux equivalent since Paul has shown that various Linux utilities can work very well with OS/2.

fbakan

Quote from: djcaetano on 2009.10.13, 22:15:36

Marketing decision. Development costs money.
Perhaps Mensys makes the final version available to other users too, where upgrading ecs 1.1
to 1.2 or 2.0 makes no sense, like in my case on my old but gold t23 hardware.
I would appreciate this and would be willing to spend some money for flash 10.

Pete

Hi djcaetano

The install script checks for "OS2_4x" and I cannot see any other OS check in the script so it should install OK - Did it?

Could this be something to do with the LIBPATHSTRICT problem mentioned in the readme? - Does your CMD file set that variable?

No entries in config.sys are required; the flash10 plugin finds the support files via Registry entries created during the install.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi Ivan

Quote from: ivan on 2009.10.13, 23:54:33
So this is a bastardised windows plugin with all the attendant problems this will bring.

I question this apparent obsession with converting  windows utilities for use with OS/2 when Innotek is no longer doing the conversion.  Why not use the Linux equivalent since Paul has shown that various Linux utilities can work very well with OS/2.

Yes, it is "a bastardised windows plugin" - but there is no source code available to work with in order to create a real OS/2 version; unless you are thinking of gnash which is not really upto Flash7 standard.

If I remember the original posts about the possibility of a Flash9/10 plugin correctly Roderick (Mensys) said something about Adobe granting a licence to modify the win32 Flash9/10 plugin to work with OS/2 systems. I doubt Adobe would want to give the source code out so that a real OS/2 version could be built; maybe that will change sometime in the future - but don't hold your breath  :-)

That basically left Mensys with no option but to go the "bastardised windows plugin" route.

I'm not really sure about your " question this apparent obsession with converting  windows utilities for use with OS/2" statement... Any particular packages in mind? I ask because I seem to have spent a bit of time over the past few years testing stuff ported from linux to OS/2 - CUPS, Uniaud, mplayer, smplayer, and a few other things that escape me currently - but this Flash10 plugin is the 1st "win32 port" I've tested for awhile now.

Regards

Pete

Paul Smedley

Quote from: ivan on 2009.10.13, 23:54:33

In this case, Flash is proprietary code - so there is no open-source to port, so a odin type wrapper is really the best solution...