• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Flash10 Preview not working here

Started by Pete, 2009.10.09, 21:18:53

Previous topic - Next topic

ivan

Thanks for that bit of information Paul.  I've never looked at Flash very much - in fact I tend to steer clear of sites with Flash in them.  I also use flash block which means pages load faster.

RobertM

Quote from: Pete on 2009.10.14, 05:03:44

I'm not really sure about your " question this apparent obsession with converting  windows utilities for use with OS/2" statement... Any particular packages in mind? I ask because I seem to have spent a bit of time over the past few years testing stuff ported from linux to OS/2 - CUPS, Uniaud, mplayer, smplayer, and a few other things that escape me currently - but this Flash10 plugin is the 1st "win32 port" I've tested for awhile now.

Regards

Pete

Not commenting on the merits or drawbacks of the Win32 Odinized code, but another biggie that comes to mind is Firefox and/or OpenOffice (if memory serves as to which sources are being used for them).

Now commenting on the merits and drawbacks - at least to some extent. I'd prefer an Odinized app/plugin over none. Currently, that is the only or best (business sense, programming resources, etc) method for some apps. If I had a choice, which would I pick? Doesn't matter... I dont have that choice.  ;D  ;)

Best,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

WINE works great so I don't see the problem with wrappers. So long as they work well there shouldn't be an issue. It comes down to having ideological issues with it being a Windows app which are always so inferior to OS/2 apps  ::)

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.10.14, 21:36:57
WINE works great so I don't see the problem with wrappers. So long as they work well there shouldn't be an issue. It comes down to having ideological issues with it being a Windows app which are always so inferior to OS/2 apps  ::)

Sadly, WINE is mostly irrelevant to this. As for Windows apps "which are always so inferior to OS/2 apps" I can only point out Describe, which had multithreaded almost everything on a scale that is still not duplicatable on Windows (or at least still hasn't been) even though hardware power has increased so dramatically, and most machines sold nowadays are dual core.

I for one miss autosaves of large documents not slowing my machine to a crawl, background printing that is truly background printing (without the need for the best, top of the line hardware) and of course the object oriented nature of Describe. For that, I gladly dealt with it's "ugly" interface.

The same goes for FaxWorks Pro - and any OS/2 app that is REXX enabled and aware. So, in that respect, yes they are better. In other respects (such as the lack of specific software), OS/2 has a way to go. A fully implemented WINE/ODIN would be nice to fill that gap. In the meantime, I'll be happy with the venerable VirtualPC or VirtualBox.

Best,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

djcaetano

Anyway, ODINized or not,

I was not able to make FireFox 3.5 to "see" Flash 10 plugin. I set everything I could,
I uninstalled and reinstalled it... (no errors during install) but Firefox simply do not
show it on "about:plugins" and whenever I open a flash page, the browser says me
to download a plugin.
  (Just to keep it fresh: this test was made on OS/2 4.52 with all official and public fixes
applied).

So, anyone using OS/2 4.52 and with software subscription, don't even bother
downloading Flash 10.

diver

it can't work on anything beside ecs, as it ask for the registry key via a api. so no registry key no flash.

to be honest it's possible to overcome this, but no i won't telly anyone how to do it.

djcaetano

Quote from: diver on 2009.10.16, 21:42:40
it can't work on anything beside ecs, as it ask for the registry key via a api. so no registry key no flash.
to be honest it's possible to overcome this, but no i won't telly anyone how to do it.

Cool. Since my official and registered eCS refuses to install on my machine,
no Flash for me. Really nice. Hehe. :P

I do understand the reasons why Serenity add this type of check, but it is
a bit frustrating when you just can't install the required OS. :P

IBManners

I'm also feeling a bit p!ssed about this.

I do my best to support eComStation, its intergration, upgrades, and other apps from various people only to find out that if I want to use some of what I do my best to support, that I'll have to do something like install eComStation, then get rid of everything I don't really want or need.

I'm happy with my current system, it works fine, its setup the way I want it including all the latest drivers etc so it seems stupid to have to 'upgrade' to eCS.

All rather pointless as I'll figure out what I need from eCS installed under VPC and then add the required changes to my working OS/2 anyway, all this does is create more work for people like myself when I have better things to do.

Cheers
I am the computer, it is me.

osw

Hi!
Perhaps it will be interesting for you.
Once I saw "somewhere on os/2 related site" (sorry, I can't recall where exactly it was) an article about adding key ecs components and features to existing acp2 - what was supposed to give ecs - server like version
I had not read it actually as I was happy with my acp2 then - later I switched to ecs 2 and never have really tried this way of conversion but like I said first - perhaps it will be somewhat interesting or usefull for you.

Robert Deed

Quote from: djcaetano on 2009.10.17, 07:30:15
Quote from: diver on 2009.10.16, 21:42:40

Cool. Since my official and registered eCS refuses to install on my machine,
no Flash for me. Really nice. Hehe. :P

I do understand the reasons why Serenity add this type of check, but it is
a bit frustrating when you just can't install the required OS. :P

Lol.. way to bump an old post..  Flash 10 can't run on my legit ecs 2.0 :p  Says I don't have a registered copy.

Pete

Hi Robert

That is something to do with flash10 preview checking to see if it is running on eCS1.1/1.2 - or an eCS2.0RC? build. You need to search the ecs newsgroups for the workaround, something to do with needing an ecsreg?.txt file from ecs1.1/1.2.

Regards

Pete

Rob Claessen

Rob Claessen

Robert Deed

Pete

Hi

Having just installed eCS2.0GA on the Wifes system I have just run into the problem of Flash10 not finding the correct ecsreg.ini file.

I found this (older) thread and visited http://ecstnt.blogspot.com/2010/08/flash-10-on-ecs-20.html

Looks simple enough so I made a copy of the existing ecsreg.ini and copied the ecsreg.ini from an eCS2.0RC6a installation that Flash10 works fine on to the eCS2.0GA installation.

I then fired up Seamonkey and discovered that changing the ecsreg.ini file achieves nothing... Flash10 is still stating that the copy of eCS is unregistered.

No, I do not have eCS Subscription - and no intention of getting 1 -  so cannot download a later build of Flash10 that has this problem resolved.

Any other possible cures for this problem?

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi All

The problem went away when I copied ecsreg11.ini from ecs2.0RC6a to eCS2.0GA

Looks like both ecsreg*.ini files are required from eCS1.2 for this early build of Flash10 to work on eCS2.0GA

Regards

Pete