• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

AVI File type desktop associations

Started by StefanZ, 2009.12.28, 14:48:21

Previous topic - Next topic

StefanZ

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you on how to change the default video file associations (mainly AVI, MPG) on the desktop.

Thx in advance.

RobertM

Quote from: StefanZ on 2009.12.28, 14:48:21
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you on how to change the default video file associations (mainly AVI, MPG) on the desktop.

Thx in advance.

I believe, IIRC, you can find the template for an AVI in the Templates folder inside of the Multimedia Templates folder in there. Right click and change the associations there and see if that works. From there, you can also choose the default start-up option once the player is added to the list.

I also then assign my default player to AVI types, using a variety of AVI "extensions" such as:

*AVI
*.AVI
*.*.AVI
*.*.*.AVI

And so on.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

StefanZ

Hmmm - good point Rob, haven't thought about that :)

But when looking into my templates, there is no template for AVI or Digital Video (or anything similar).

The *....*.AVI associations I created (for the pre-configured MPlayer on my desktop), but this association is unfortunately not the default one. There is "Start" preconfigured by default - and I would like to know how to change this.

This is for my Mom's PC. She should be able to start video playing using MPlayer just by double clicking to icons on the desktop, but due to the default (OS/2 MM player) selection, this is impossible currently.

sXwamp

The default (OS/2 MM player) codecs are unless pretty much.  Unless you do use the default (OS/2 MM player), you can deregister the AVI MM class.  Then associate the AVI files with your preferred player. I asked the same question before.

http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,215.0/

Look on Hobbes for a utility

Greggory

RobertM

Hi Stefan,

Sorry, I think it is something I added and configured ages ago...

If you cannot get to the URL that Greggory posted, then copy and paste this one:

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,215.0.html

If I recall exactly how I did it, I will let you know. I'll try playing with it tonight and see what I come up with.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

melf

I thought of that sometimes but never got done. Now I'm rid of "Start" and "Player". There are quite a lot of "deregistering wps classes"-programs under utilities/wps on hobbes. I used "Classman" which worked splendid and followed Gregorys advices.
/Mikael

David McKenna

You can change the default video player (on eCS 1.2+) by editing the 'videoplayer' keyword in the 'CWMM' application listed in OS2.INI by using your favorite INI editor...

Dave McKenna

Pete

Hi Dave

Even with the OS2.INI CWMM entries pointing to smplayer.exe doubleclicking an mpg file will start vb.exe instead of smplayer.

To get around this I copied \MMOS2\MMPLAYER\vb.exe to vb.exe.old and then deleted vb.exe

That seems to have resolved the issue.

Regards

Pete