• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Temperature monitor

Started by aasdelat, 2007.06.16, 19:52:59

Previous topic - Next topic

aasdelat

Hello:
Is there a temperature monitor for os/2 that works with the SYS chipset?.
Thank you very much.

Antonio Serrano
Málaga, Spain

Sander

Hi Antonio,

just to be clear, are you saying that your board uses a SYS chipset, or that the thermal sensors are handled by a SYS chip?

It's been a while since I have worked on a board using a SYS chipset, but IIRC the thermal sensors were handled by a Windbond chip. 

If you can look at your board, check closely for a Windbond chip.  If you have one, then chances are good that one of the temp monitor utilities (depending on age) on Hobbes will work.  Trevor Hemsley's ported LM78/Windbond chip monitor is in use here on ASUS boards (VIA chipsets), and works very well. 

Good luck,
Sander

aasdelat

Hello, Sander:
I can't find any chip in my motherboard with the text "Winbond". I see one chip with the text "SIS 963".
However, the cd-rom that came with the motherboard, has a utility for windows called "Winbond doctor". Perhaps this clarifies the cuestion.
If can help: my motherboard is a DFI NS80-EC.

Antonio Serrano
Málaga, Spain.

warpcafe

Hola Antonio,

The chip with "SiS" on it is the (south/north whatever)-bridge chipset. The ones that we are looking for right now (the hardware monitor chip) is much SMALLER.
I found a picture of the board on the DFI site and have marked possible candidates - I could even see two chips with Winbond on them on that picture. However, have a look on the chips I pointed out in the photo (or chips of that size). If there is a winbond HW monitor chipset on your board, it would look similar.

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Sander

Quote from: aasdelat on 2007.06.17, 11:27:49
Hello, Sander:
I can't find any chip in my motherboard with the text "Winbond". I see one chip with the text "SIS 963".
However, the cd-rom that came with the motherboard, has a utility for windows called "Winbond doctor". Perhaps this clarifies the cuestion.
If can help: my motherboard is a DFI NS80-EC.

Antonio Serrano
Málaga, Spain.

Antonio, I think you are in good shape.  Since I can't see your board, I am guessing here, but DFI was using the Winbond W83697 in that timeframe, which should work with Trevor's utility that I described earlier.  Here is a direct link:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/mboard/p2l97v05.zip

This is a PM utility with a nice interface.

Good luck,
Sander

aasdelat

Yes!. Both of you are right. I've found it. It is the one enclosed in the red rectangle in the upper left corner of the picture posted by warpcafe.
It says :"Winbond W83697HF". It is hidden by a pci card, so, I did'nt suspect it was there before warpcafe sent the picture.
I'll download the utility and then, tell you the result.

aasdelat

I've just installed the program and it goes super.
But it cannot be configured to launch an alarm (t for example, to beep).

I've seen other utilities in the same directory in hobbes, but I don't dare to try them because I'm not sure if, in case my chip is not suported by the application, can get any trouble with my hardware. Do you know if is it safe to install all the monitoring programs that can be found in the same hobbes directory as the one you gave me the url?.

Sander

Yes it is safe.  Keep in mind that some of them are quite old, and were written before this generation of Winbond chips were developed.  IOW, even if some features work, they may not be accurate.  But hey, it won't hurt to experiment.

As for adding a beep alert; in the archive you downloaded, Trevor included the source code.

In my case, there is a thermal sensor under the CPU, and that function, as well as shut down, is handled by the
bios.  You might want to check if DFI had any facility for such on that board, but I doubt it.

BTW, one of the cool things about that utiltiy you installed, is that you can drop a color on it for both the background, and the text.  I changed mine to a black background, with aqua blue text to match my other monitors on XCenter, as well as PM Disk monitor, another very cool monitor utility, also done by Trevor Hemsley.  Trevor has done some great stuff for OS/2 over the years.

Good luck,
Sander

warpcafe

Hi,

FWIW, here are articles (rather old ones) from the Voice newsletter about two more programs - don't know if the Winbond chips in question are supported, but perhaps it worth trying out...?

ThermoProtect: http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0801H/vnewsf7.htm
StHwMon: http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0701H/vnewsf2.htm

Note that the homepage of StHwMon seems to be moving/removed/whatever... I couldn't download or find more information, so you might need to check hobbes for yourself... the same might apply to ThermoProtect ... ;-)

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

aasdelat

Thank you very much to both of you. I have now enough material to work on, including a possible programmed extension of p2l97v05.