• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

How to remove AVI codec?

Started by sXwamp, 2007.06.17, 09:57:24

Previous topic - Next topic

sXwamp

I'm not sure about anyone else, but the current AVIVideo.AVI codec installed with eCom 1.2R is useless for most video files.  Is there any easy way to deinstall this WPS class.  I would like it to be associated with WarpVision.

Maybe it could be replaced/add with the Xvid codec, maybe a new bounty?   I'm willing to start it with $100 US.

Cheers,

Greggory Shaw

Sander

Hi Greg,

IIRC, in OS/2 4.x, you just deregister the MMAVI class.  It should be the same for eCS.  You can use Unimaint, or any of the other class utility.  You might as well do the same for MMMOV.  Pretty useless stuff.   :)

Good luck,
Sander

Robert Deed

Quote from: Sander on 2007.06.20, 09:43:29
Hi Greg,

IIRC, in OS/2 4.x, you just deregister the MMAVI class.  It should be the same for eCS.  You can use Unimaint, or any of the other class utility.  You might as well do the same for MMMOV.  Pretty useless stuff.   :)

Good luck,
Sander

Yes, and on top of that, I believe someone has already created a more suitable replacement codec for both of those classes, I am pretty sure it is based on xvid..  however OS/2 codec support is a bit sketchy as far as reliability goes, even with the default codecs.   I only leave codecs installed for tools which require them to  convert or edit a file, I almost never use a program which relies on those codecs for playback.  We probably should just make a standard set of all video playback codecs, and developers could use those instead of the increasingly obsolete MMOS2..  (I know it isn't as easy as I made it sound, but it also isn't so hard that it couldn't have been already done :)

kim

An updated set of codecs for OS2 would be great since as mentioned, much of the originals can't really be used to anything good.... and I'm starting to get tired of watching the parrot mpeg :-)

jep

The idea behind codecs in OS/2 are very good, as compared to "software X can only handle this type of format" that seem to be the case in other systems.

I'd like to se perhaps some kind of Video¹ wrapper² for the codecs + technology behind WarpVision, KMP and Mplayer brought together, so that more apps that rely on the standard mmos2 way of doing things would be able to display such movies. I'd be happy if one (or more) player³(s) would be developed i parallell by someone else that would focus on usefulness and visual apperance.

KimH wouldn't have to watch the parrots all the time then ;)

Would it be possible to achieve?

¹) Video = Area on screen displaying animated/moving graphics + output of Audio
²) Wrapper = Engine that interact with mmos2 to look like a set of codecs
³) Player = Nifty window with buttons, progressbar, skins etc.

mvh / Wkr / MfG
//Jan-Erik

kim

I agree on that it would be great to have a proper UniCodec or GenCodec projects for OS2 that would provide us either with a full package of codecs or even better a generic wrapper where the users can add what ever coded to be used. For example under windows I use the Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP) that gives you a great set of base codecs. As well there is also alternativ codecs for Real (Real Alternative Lite) and QuickTime (QuickTime Alternative Lite).

If to create a bounty, would the primary goal to suggest, to be that we would have a generic wrapper for existing codecs? Also, are there already similar code available for other OS?

obiwan

From what I understand that jep said, an updated codec set for OS/2 should properly be done in accord with the original multimedia design of OS/2, which is what would make it great under OS/2, rather than simply imitate other inferior platforms. To do this in a way that makes it easy to port codecs from open source projects would give it longevity.

From what I understand, the NOM project Cinc is working on has this concept in mind, though of course there still remain the codecs to be ported. That may be too long-term for our desire for media now, but at least the ideal (of OS/2's original model and the new implementation of NOM) should be considered in any undertaking to wrap a set of codecs.

Mplayer is probably not an example of an application that will play along with this; but rather an excellent interim solution.

kim

To make a suggestion; if a bounty should be suggested I think that the primary focus should be to develop a generic codec wrapper that implements with the native MMOS2 for easy porting of codecs.

To support above when then be as Jan-Erik also suggest a modern player that make use of the MMOS2 Codec wrapper. So in all actually two bounties.

Would above something that we should add as two bounties?

jep

I pretty much agree to anything here  ;D

but not entirely with the part: "player make use of the MMOS2 Codec wrapper", rather that it (the player) make use of mmos2 that in turn make use of the engine and wrapper when needed.

2 bounties are fine with me... but with a couple of requirements, that the design of the engine + wrapper will be in line with NOM and the forthcoming design decision for eCS regarding multimedia support and that the person that make the final decision, I don't know who that may be, but (s)he should have a strong say in this.

=====
Ahh, yes, I prefer native solutions, but some aren't possible yet, while we may see others quite soon. What I had in mind though was to snatch the good ideas and work currently available in WarpVision/KMP/MPlayer etc. and suggest something that would be more OS/2-like to the player developer and end user.

Current player situation
WarpVision play alot of video formats, even live stream over the net (yes I've used it to watch streaming TV) but is a bit unstable and doesn't play MP3 audio in movies very well.
KMP and MPlayer are both quite stable but lack more sophisticated windows to control them

PM123 player (MP3 and OGG audio) look very polished and work well, are stable and mature, would be nice to get some of that into a system wide player. Doesn't use mmos2 codecs either though :-<

Codec view
E.g. the way WarpVision does it now (if I'm correct) is to load Win32 codecs and run them, and those codecs use a small subset (I hope) of ODIN (Wine) calls. To get it "now" we need a wrapper and engine that does those things without the need of odin installed. The Wrapper does the "pretending" and translation parts, while the engine may provide mmos2 integration to the system and services like streaming.

MMOS2 view
The engine should extend current mmos2 so that all codecs (native and non native) appear as regular OS/2 codecs to mmos2 and the app/player/game/etc. that request to display/view/play a file.

mvh / Wkr / MfG
//Jan-Erik

kim

Quote from: jep on 2007.07.14, 02:48:58
but not entirely with the part: "player make use of the MMOS2 Codec wrapper", rather that it (the player) make use of mmos2 that in turn make use of the engine and wrapper when needed.

Well, I think that we both are talking about the same thing; the primary component should be MMOS2 with add-ons to support new codecs. So I think all within this thread agrees on how it should work.

But, still; there is a neeed for a proper bounty task descriptions; suggestion needed!