• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eComStation in sci-tech labs / students

Started by chennecke, 2010.03.09, 13:11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

EugeneGorbunoff

To Fahrvenugen:
Wow! thank you for reply! So, what is the conclusion? What can we do today?
1) yes, it's necessary promote eComStation as modern OS, promote its new features.
We were working on eCS 2.0 during several years, it's necessary inform
all users about all new features. For example, we organized a poll some days ago
with the link to "whatsnew"
2) it's necessary promote DevCon, libraries and templates of applications.
We are going publish some banners 140x140 on our sites.

To Thomas/agressive: no comments. Thank you that you didn't removed the announcement of
students's site. We were collecting the information on this site during
several monthes. It's bad that you are discussing personalities again,
not the topic of the announcement.

To Thomas/normal: do you have minds about the students? wake up!
Why do you spend time to OS/2?! Who will write apps and drivers for you
in the next 10 years?

To Sigurd/aggressive: sorry, you are discussing personalities again.
=> such messages are unusable for the community.

To Sigurd/normal:
> Sorry for go somehow in off-topic before, but I could not resist to answer to Eugene.

OK, discussion of students it's not an offtopic! this is our topic!
it's wonderful that you concentrate the attention on Demo CD! Mensys
are working on eCS 2.0 and can't update eCS demo-CD. Somebody in the
community should help us to update danis506 on eCS 1.2R Demo-CD.

Yes, it's a large problem how to equip interested developers with eCS license&CD.
We don't have solution for this problem.

Sigurd

Yeah Eugene, you want to have it personal, here it is as you demand even if I do not like this level of discussing:

- you do really understand only the things witch are usefull for your dreamland
- you can not face the reality
- as soon as it comes to facts (limited support for new hardware i.e.) you say "this is not usable for the community"
the best joke of all: You think YOU are the community - now this is clear to me.

- with "going offtopic" I meant the discussion about my movies- but - yes:it is the best for sure if YOU tell me what I want to say if I say something!!!

- danis on ecs 1.2 demo cd will change nothing - you can not connect to the internet!!!!!! You cannot boot it on PCs with AHCI. Or is the danis a new WLAN driver??? I am really not happy about the fact that eCs is close to be outdated, but I do not want to denie the truth.

I will not comment your posts anymore, I will not take a look on your anouncements like: what users expect from ecs 2.1 (started some YEARS ago).

And yes: I will not mention any ecosoft programs any more nore use them in my movies. I remember once I published pitures showing NeoWPS and you stated that those are useless because the NeoWPS License forces one to use .png picture format. That is the right way to attract users I guess! Ridicoulus!!!

I wish you luck with your community, realy luck.

EugeneGorbunoff

You are wrong again. When I asked you make PNG instead of JPG, I was thinking about banana and tea at that moment. I had 0 claims to you. I didn't used "useless" or ..  "fucking"  or other words.

OK, thank you for the screenshots of Sunny icons! 

I can repeat again: (it is desirable) please make PNG screenshots, not JPG. The goal - keep the quality of the icons.

http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,1093.60/
-> "e-co: The license of NeoWPS talks: you can't make JPG screenshots! PNG only! Smiley"

-> "Let's show PNG nice designed pictures of eComStation desktop"

it's strange that you are so aggressive..

Talking about dreamland - yes, eComStation 2.0 project which was started in 2002 .. 2004  it was very hard and interesting project. The developers made impossible things. People said: "No, you can't boot from JFS" - we can now! People said: "don't do this, don't collect hardware reports! here is the list in .txt file" - we did this, the database is huge now! http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php   people said: "no, we are dead, we don't have network drivers" -  we have genmac wrapper, we have several families of native ndis drivers now. You can continue this long list. So many impossible things were implemented!

So.. let's write the the log: Sigurd, Thomas and Christian said: "end of game, we are old, ..  Young people will never use eComStation" (sorry, I can't remember this depressive messages) - let's see if young people will come to eCS community in 1 year  :)

chennecke

Quote from: EugeneGorbunoff on 2010.03.10, 15:49:35
> no one is writing articles. Not _ONE_ ! You cannot go and tell Christian to write an article,
> this is very ignorant and impolite. The correct way is that YOU write an article and submit it!

eComStation.RU is publishing 1-2 articles every month. We are working with the developers and users.  There are N x times more users in Europe and America. So, potentially OS2VOICE can publish 10-20 articles and reviews every month. It's necessary work with the people.

Yes, the magic word here is "potentially." Mark and me have been trying to work with people for years. We've issued numerous calls for articles, approached people directly -- all to little or no avail. In fact, exactly one article has been submitted since the last issue and for another we've been allowed to publish a translated posting from a German discussion forum. The sad fact is that the community is simply not interested in supporting itself. People bitch and moan, they spend hours in moot discussions and bashing others, but writing an article is too much. They have made their decision. I am not going to waste any more time trying to change something I cannot. And I am certainly not going to fill in for them.

Quote from: EugeneGorbunoff on 2010.03.10, 15:49:35
Examples: os2voice.org team can publish "Analysis of OS/2-based ATM situation" in the newsletter. OR take interviews from famous users and developers (I shared this idea with Christian several times)

My, my, to think you still have the nerv to make demands... I told you as many times that we'd be glad to publish such interviews if somebody conducted and submitted them. As for the Newsletter team doing it all themselves: Feel free to pay us to do so. Otherwise, there's many a way more pleasant to spend my time: Go out with friends, watch animes, read a good book, listen to nice music, etc. etc.

EugeneGorbunoff

Some suggestions how to reanimate os2voice.org newsletter:

1) It's necessary post ideas which articles users can write? what software to review?
* Review five Qt4 applications
* Technical article for developers about interaction of applications and processes
* Review of audio players available
* How to organize home mutimedia center based on eCS

simply post the ideas (10-20 suggestions) every 30 days at news sites.

YES, it works here, with articles on russian language.

2) os2voice.org is not commercial. Where to get the fuel? N hundred/thousand people are visiting the site => banners is the resource.
* there are .. 50 commercial/shareware applications on eCS market
* ok.. 10 developers will agree to publish banners on os2voice.org site and pass 5 reg.keys as payment.
* Every month = 5 reg.keys

So, offer reg.keys for popular applications.

YES, it's very important. We were offering the banners to os2voice.org but were ignored (? I don't have evidence). i don't have claims, we are ready send the banners again.

3) Why do people write reviews? Some of them want to see their names and photos on your site.
You can improve the description of the author of article. Larger photo, more information about the author.

and.. it's not enough. it's necessary put information to the site that you are ready to publish extended information about the authors.

YES, not all people need reward, many of them need this ^

4) The 4-th step - don't wait, search for active users.
If some users are very active and post many messages to the forums - this people are able to write an article very fast. Simply filter this people and send them an offering.

YES, don't wait for articles, contact right people.

5) step 5 - it's necessary nominate the articles to e-ball Awards => so all users will see (in the end of year) who have written the articles. How is it important.

YES, it's necessary remind to people about os2voice.org newsletter every month.

6) Take interviews.. OR .. compile interviews.. the forums are full of messages.

YES, we are doing this here. Preparing some interviews with the developers.

7) There were more suggestions for os2voice.org newsletter, it's necessary look into archives.

miturbide

About Students and Universities.

IBM has an free of charge agreement called "IBM Academic Iniative". This allows the University to use a lot of IBM software for teaching, non-profit reasearch and give it to the students to make homework.

As I checked some months ago, OS/2 Warp 4.52 is included there, it was available for download. So IBM will not bother to use OS/2 in Universities (Academic Use Only). I really see it more from the Serenety/Mensys side to have a way also to give eComStation for free to students, but thats up to they and possible they see a risk of IBM suing them for giving the software for free to Students.

If you are a teacher and want to students to learn IBM OS/2 Warp 4.52 go to http://www.ibm.com/university/academicinitiative
Register and them download it from it.

About Eugene optimist and Christian Hennecke negativism, well my opinion is that you are both wrong.

Eugene, I don't share your eCS vision, you don't like open source software, I don't even like the way you express on the forum (possible because english is not your native language), but if you want to promote eComStation on Universities !! GO AHEAD !!!. If you get people to help you and follow you !! GO AHEAD !!!. I had not problems posting your news at OS2World.com even if some sound to much optimistic.

Christian you see this Eugene's effort like it is a waist of energy, but I think you are wrong. Let the people/students decided by theirself which is an interesting OS and which not.  Possible there are students that will like what they can fix on OS/2-eCS instead of what it has or not. But you don't even want to give them the chance know about eCS. 

Christian, you give a good point on explaining why this initiative will fail, but you don't even suggest in what will be good for Eugene to waist their efforts. Your criticism is not in a constructive way.

Regards
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

chennecke

Quote from: miturbide on 2010.03.11, 23:13:36
As I checked some months ago, OS/2 Warp 4.52 is included there, it was available for download. So IBM will not bother to use OS/2 in Universities (Academic Use Only). I really see it more from the Serenety/Mensys side to have a way also to give eComStation for free to students, but thats up to they and possible they see a risk of IBM suing them for giving the software for free to Students.

AFAIK Mensys has to pay a fixed amount of money per license to IBM. So they would actually lose money by giving eCS away.

About Eugene optimist and Christian Hennecke negativism, well my opinion is that you are both wrong.

That's not negativism but realism. And IMHO the OS/2 community needs a good shot of realism to survive. It needs to clearly see the situation, analyze the options, and draw the consequences. I was rather pleased to see that some have actually bit the bullet now (a few years ago, a project like Qt 4 would have failed) but the majority is still sleeping, dreaming, in a state of denial or has resigned.

Christian you see this Eugene's effort like it is a waist of energy, but I think you are wrong. Let the people/students decided by theirself which is an interesting OS and which not.  Possible there are students that will like what they can fix on OS/2-eCS instead of what it has or not. But you don't even want to give them the chance know about eCS.

Excuse me? I am not denying them anything. Think about the effort required for success -- a few pages on a site that's basically unknown outside the OS/2 community and sometimes has warnings issued by Google (yeah, I know that's not Eugene's fault but the effect remains) will not suffice -- and about return on investment.

Christian, you give a good point on explaining why this initiative will fail, but you don't even suggest in what will be good for Eugene to waist their efforts. Your criticism is not in a constructive way.

Come on, Martin, do you really want me to spell out what is only too obvious? Me and many others have already told this Eugene before but he won't listen. One can sum it up in one word: Focus!

miturbide

Christian, I think we both know this thread is a waist of time. Eugene has his own agenda.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

EugeneGorbunoff

Christian and Martin,

I don't understand something,

how do you think,
* what is successful eComStation?
* what is the future of eCS in 2012? 2015? (your opinion)
* if you don't support the idea to extend eCS, improve it   THEN .. how are you using eCS? how are you going use it in May? 2011, 2012?

warpcafe

Sigh.
Quote from: EugeneGorbunoff on 2010.03.11, 11:45:27
Some suggestions how to reanimate os2voice.org newsletter:

Eugene, I really appreciate all your ideas... but let me tell you that Christian and Mark have done their job for quite some years. You are talking in theory - but Mark and Christian have EXPERIENCE from REALITY. So please, stop making suggestions on things you dont't have any clue about.

Like "Where does os2voice.org get its fuel from?" -> from their members, man!! The newsletter is a "club magazine", like I tried to tell you a couple of times. So before making suggestions based on assumptions: Do your homework. Challenge your assumptions.
THIS is the professional way of dealing with things. A marketing expert like you should know these basics. You talk the talk of "big marketing and strategy" for years now. What frustrates me about you is that you don't walk the walk. Talk is cheap. Yours is cheap and annoying.
Clean up your own closet before you tell others what they should to.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy