• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Video editing software - increased possibilities with QT4?

Started by melf, 2010.04.09, 11:18:54

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

Two years ago I asked Paul Smedley about the possibility to port Avidemux, http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/, to eCS. One of the problems he then mentioned was the lack of a QT4-port. Now that this is real I put the same question to Silvan.  He answered this: "yes i think it could be doable. the only problem i see are the needed libs. not all of them have a recent port, so this would also need some work."

Then I also saw an even more interesting alternative at http://kdenlive.org/ , also based on QT4, which adds advance features, as to edit video on a timeline. From the compilation instructions, (which I don't understand myself), I paste:

General libraries

* Qt 4 and KDE 4 development files (libqt4-dev and kdelibs5-dev)
    * SDL (libsdl1.2-dev, libsdl-image1.2-dev)
    * libXML2 (libxml2, libxml2-dev)

Screen capture

* recordmydesktop

Firewire and DV capture

* dvgrab
    * libdv (libdv, libdv-dev)

Audio and video codecs

* x264 codecs (x264, libx264, libx264-dev)
    * Theora codecs (libtheora, libtheora-dev)
    * Xvid codecs (libxvidcore4, libxvidcore4-dev)
    * OGG (libogg, libogg-dev)
    * Vorbis (libvorbis, libvorbis-dev)
    * Dirac lossless codec (libschroedinger, libschroedinger-dev)
    * Lame audio codec (libmp3lame, libmp3lame-dev)
    * Libquicktime (libquicktime1, libquicktime-dev)
    * faac codecs (libfaac, libfaac-dev)
    * faad codecs (libfaad, libfaad-dev)
    * GSM (libgsm, libgsm-dev)
    * speech codecs (libamrnb3, libamrnb3-dev, libamrwb3, libamrwb-dev)

Sound processing and effects

* libsamplerate (libsamplerate, libsamplerate-dev)
    * libJack (libjack-dev)
    * SOX (sox, libsox, libsox-dev)
    * ladspa (ladspa-sdk)
    * ladspa plugins (swh-plugins)
    * libmad (libmad-dev)

Video effects and image processing

* frei0r, libfrei0r-dev video effects

* gdk-pixbuf, gdk-pixbuf-dev
    * libpango1.0-dev

Performance

* yasm modular assembler (strongly recommended for H.264 decoding)

Warning

MLT relies on FFmpeg compilation parameters. If your distribution ships with an outdated FFmpeg version, it may not be able to use the audio and video codecs like H.264 or AVCHD. In this case, recompile FFmpeg with all needed options or ask FFmpeg packager to upgrade.

eCS-OS/2 community lacks video editing software: This is two examples of QT4-based editors. Avidemux seems possible to port. The latest, Kdenlive, is the more interesting in my opinion. Is this also possible to port? Do someone know other QT4-based video editors?

/Mikael

chennecke

Well, from what I know, forget it if it needs the KDE libraries. You'd end up porting most of the KDE environment.

cyber

There is another question... Warp 4 have built in video editor which is good enough for me. Only miss any of recent codecs; there just ultimotion, mjpeg and non-compressed.
How hard could be to port codec to native system could use ?

melf

Quote from: chennecke on 2010.04.12, 01:55:26
Well, from what I know, forget it if it needs the KDE libraries. You'd end up porting most of the KDE environment.
well I suspected it was to good to be possible..

Quote from: cyber on 2010.04.12, 09:44:29
There is another question... Warp 4 have built in video editor which is good enough for me. Only miss any of recent codecs; there just ultimotion, mjpeg and non-compressed.
How hard could be to port codec to native system could use ?

In that case i would really be smarter too update Main Actor for OS/2 with new codecs, which have the drag and drop to time-line function. I don't know if it is possible. Porting AVidemux would at least get us a simple video editor alike virtual dub.
/Mikael

melf

Quote from: melf on 2010.04.13, 00:21:50
In that case i would really be smarter too update Main Actor for OS/2 with new codecs, which have the drag and drop to time-line function. I don't know if it is possible.

I read from Main Actors documentation:

"mainCODEC/2 is part of MainActor but is distributed as a separate archive.

It contains a subset of the MainActor modules as MMPM/2 codecs. These codecs allow the supported formats to be used within the native OS/2 multimedia system, for example inside the player or VideoIN."

Does this also mean the opposite, that any MMPM/2 codec could be used with Main Actor?
/Mikael

cyber

Quote from: melf on 2010.04.13, 00:21:50
"mainCODEC/2 is part of MainActor but is distributed as a separate archive.
It contains a subset of the MainActor modules as MMPM/2 codecs. These codecs allow the supported formats to be used within the native OS/2 multimedia system, for example inside the player or VideoIN."
Does this also mean the opposite, that any MMPM/2 codec could be used with Main Actor?

Sure it work in both ways. They are MMPM codecs, so system natively can recognise and use any of those codes in any natively application. There is mainCODEC/2 at Hobbes, but codecs inside aren't interesting.

At 'http://wiki.netlabs.org/index.php/MMOS2_Related_Projects'; state that Xine MCD contain MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 codec for OS/2. I beleive this is mistake.  Anyone know for sure ?

chennecke

Unfortunately, the Xine MCD project never got past an early alpha. But it did include some more current stuff you could, e.g., use to play stuff encoded with DivX.

melf

I installed the stuff , just to try, and then opened Main Actor/2. When I choose "export" a choice of Mpeg I/II could be seen. In a drop down menu I can choose mpeg II, 1 million colors for PAL or NTCS. But it doesn't work. Export always seems to fall back to "avi 256 colors". Anyway I didn't see that choice before installing the XIne package.

By the way, today I wrote to Main Concept to hear about there opinions of open sourcing, about possibilities of updating codecs etc.
/Mikael

cyber

I beleive that codecs are most important right now. Main Actor/2 and even built-in video editor is enough for simple editing, but input and output choices are non acceptable.
AFAIK, if MPEG2 is interesting for You, there is only ProjectX that can do anything.  :'(

melf

If it would be possible to "hot up" Main Actor, that would be great. I've used ProjectX and it works splendid for eg simple editing of recorded TV and other mpeg2-files. But a video editor (let it be simple) that could work with more up to date video formats is needed. A port of Avidemux could definetly be of interest here.
/Mikael

cyber

I presume that any progress in this area will be of interest. As I'm user of  Avidemux, I'm not have opinion that this is ultimate app, because also lack of supporting codecs, and problems with mpeg4 videos, but having Avidemux/2 will be much more to have, than now. Now we have nothing than can edit any video in fairly normal way. For simple cut under /2 I use this: http://sites.google.com/site/cybermanic2/ripper   O:)

CDRWSel

Hi,

I think it may be possible to do a "base level" video editor using ffmpeg without displaying the video it self but by adding a display of the current image into the video at a specific time. This could be used to determine the cutting part of the video.
From a slider, show current image at selected position !!

what do you think about ?

cyber

I really does not understand how this should be (due to language difference), but You got a beta tester!  It wold be nice to give You any more help, but I have only lack of any programing skills.  8)
I think that porting AviDemux or anything else isn't easy and not long term solution, while any kind of native application that will use ffmpeg or mencoder is more significant, as both tools will be for sure updated with more and more codecs over time.

CDRWSel

note: Using rexx instead of qt4.

I just played with some dialogs to try some visual result. No code added yet
I plan having 2 options (ce2mp3 from multiple author) + video part (both using ffmpeg)
I have no idea about the final result it could give but do you think I should continue this GUI ?  

cyber

"note: Using rexx instead of qt4."

Yes, I've understand that, thats I wrote native app. GUI that will use ffmpeg and/or mencoder is in my hummble opinion better choice, as such solution will cover menu more formats and codecs that AviDemux right now support. And as is for sure more easy to manage fresh updates of ffmpeg and mencoder than fresh ports of AviDemux, it will give more new formats and codecs in future.
On the other side, what will be possible to do with this GUI frontend I'm not sure, except simple cut/paste video those tools allows resizing, resampling, put titles in video, put pictures in video, combine video and audio, and many more.
I'm for now only concerned about speed and sensitivity of slider because REXX. When You move slider around, how fast video window can update. And it is possible to play video with variable speed inside this window ?
And how You show content of video inside this window, using mplayer ? Or this is just static image which is extracted by ffmpeg ?