• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

No, first takes on the new eCom 2.0 yet???

Started by sXwamp, 2010.05.18, 05:29:56

Previous topic - Next topic

sXwamp

No, first takes on the new eCom 2.0 yet???

Saijin_Naib

It isn't available to download from Mensys yet (for me at least).

I'm guessing the only people who have it are WarpStock attendees.

Anyone go?

Sigurd

Hi,

experience so far:

Hardware: Lenovo X200T with Intel3945WLAN
Software: ecS 2.0 RC7 next to Windows 7 64-bit, both running well before

Starting to try to install GA:

First: Tried migration - from RC7 to GA - not working - stopped this because the Laptop did nothing for 2 hours while "searching for existing files" - no HDD activity during that time - crash

Second: Tried to install GA 2.0 from scratch - failure - Formatted RC7 drive, started installation, went through, System halted on boot after phase 2 saying "can not find helper.sys" (= problem with GENMAC, Intel 3945 has been recongnized before, but did work well while installation of RC7), once ecs booted tried to change the LAN/WLAN configuration via MPTS to "no network adapter" - the following reboot results in a crash, WPS freezes while starting - crash

No more attemps till I have enough time to do it.

bottomtop

It really is quite incredible that after the "launch" at Warpstock EU, there are no bells, whistles or even brief mentions on the official website (let alone elsewhere) that the job on 2.0 has been done.  Grumble grumble grumble.

melf

Quote from: Sigurd on 2010.05.18, 08:28:40
Hi,

experience so far:

Hardware: Lenovo X200T with Intel3945WLAN
Software: ecS 2.0 RC7 next to Windows 7 64-bit, both running well before

Starting to try to install GA:

First: Tried migration - from RC7 to GA - not working - stopped this because the Laptop did nothing for 2 hours while "searching for existing files" - no HDD activity during that time - crash

Second: Tried to install GA 2.0 from scratch - failure - Formatted RC7 drive, started installation, went through, System halted on boot after phase 2 saying "can not find helper.sys" (= problem with GENMAC, Intel 3945 has been recongnized before, but did work well while installation of RC7), once ecs booted tried to change the LAN/WLAN configuration via MPTS to "no network adapter" - the following reboot results in a crash, WPS freezes while starting - crash

Kind of disappointing...hope this isn't symptomatic...
/Mikael

Quique

<<< It really is quite incredible that after the "launch" at Warpstock EU, there are no bells, whistles or even brief mentions on the official website (let alone elsewhere) that the job on 2.0 has been done.  Grumble grumble grumble >>>

I totally agree, I thought having to wait for after Warpstock was unfair, we have been waiting, paying for several years waiting for this. I believe at least allow us loyal customers download especially when we see the product has been completed.

Now Warpstock has passed and no news............."eCS 2.0 GA is near"
My version of near is not the same as others I see.

Anyhow this does not take credit away from the team of correcting so many bugs and getting our OS more or less upto date even though cannot give full opion until I can download the iso's.  :'(

Sigurd

Quote from: Sigurd on 2010.05.18, 08:28:40

Some kind of "all clear" found here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/eComStation/message/83748

That looks much better now!

RobertM

For those who did not click the link Sigurd provided regarding the failed installation and the cause/solution:

QuoteFrom Alex Taylor
Out of curiousity, did you get your CDs on Friday? The CDs distributed on Friday unfortunately had an error that caused GenMAC install to fail. It was fixed by Saturday. We were trying to get people to replace their CD#1 on Saturday and Sunday but I don't know how successful that endeavour was.

--
Alex Taylor <alex@...>
http://www.socis.ca/~ataylo00

I suspect those who buy eCS when it is available (or download the ISO when it is available) will not run into the installation issue.

Quote from: bottomtop on 2010.05.18, 09:14:45
It really is quite incredible that after the "launch" at Warpstock EU, there are no bells, whistles or even brief mentions on the official website (let alone elsewhere) that the job on 2.0 has been done.  Grumble grumble grumble.

As for that, I suspect that, with much of the eCS Team at Warpstock EU, the rest of us will be waiting until they get back, (and hopefully get a little rest) and update the website with details of both Warpstock EU and the release. Though the team may not have always ran to this forum to post updates and news (though lately Roderick and others have been very good at that), they have been very hands on in the development of eCS v2 and in dealing with issues - that, though not always evidenced here in posts, has been proven in the amount of bugs and other issues that have been addressed before release time/GA locking. With that said, I'd expect that before the GA to "the rest of the world" they'd want to ensure they were back home, back at work, and ready to deal with the general release to the masses.

So... I for one, can wait a few extra days until they are all safely home, gotten a little bit of rest, ensured that the shipping version does not contain a bad CD#1 (inotherwords, the added delay we may be experiencing now), and are back at work and ready to update the website & take orders.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Fahrvenugen

What we learn from history...

I seem to recall back in the fall of 1994 when Warp 3 was released and went out with some bad install disks, after IBM had promoted it heavily as "easy to install"  (reference to difficulties getting 2.1 installed on certain hardware).  Unfortunately the disk with the VGA driver that shipped in a huge number of boxes didn't work (and the installer put VGA on every system by default, so that ALT-F1 - VGA option would work) and the install disk 1 had buggy drivers which caused a system TRAP if it found an IDE CD-Rom on the system.  

IBM did shortly get fixes out for these issues (they'd ship you new disks if you called them, also for the Disk 1 issue they posted fixes on sties such as their OS/2 bbs,  Compuserve, etc) and within a month or two Fixpak 5 came out and fixed 90% of the initial issues with the "shipping version" but as a result Warp still had the reputation that it was difficult to install.

StefanZ

Hhmmmm....

wondering why the ISO was not released for testing by eCS Test Team??

Blonde Guy

I think the ISO was ready on Saturday, but the release was Friday, so if the Test team had done a release, testers would have had -1 days to perform their tests, give feedback and have the bugs corrected.

From a project management standpoint, it's great that eCS 2.0 has been released. From a technical standpoint, the release is a minor achievement. Everyone with Software Subscription already had most of the new features since the release of eCS 1.2.

What's really good is that people without Software Subscription will now get a chance at the new features.

What's important now is getting 2.1 out in a reasonable time.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

PAUL555

What is the take on 2.0 GA, is it possible to automatically install on modern hardware ?

Paul