• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

PMMail/2 version 3.07

Started by Fr4nk, 2010.07.05, 20:04:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr4nk

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/20026/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Friday, 25 June 2010

[a href. .. .

I wonder when this app will be available with a serious license without any membership-bundles finally.

DougB

Probably never.

The product belongs to VOICE, and the VOICE membership has decided to make it available only to VOICE members, so you either join VOICE, and buy an extra membership to pay for PMMail, or you can use PMMail in demo mode (not bad for the first 90 days, but it will probably be a PITA after that). The extra membership is a one time thing, and even if you don't renew your VOICE membership (not sure why you don't want to belong, but that is your choice), the PMMail license remains valid.

Fr4nk

Yes I know. But its not nice and should be changed.

I don't force someone to be member in my fishing club if he want use one of my programs if you know what I mean.

DougB

Well, fishing, and programs are not really related, although I suppose if you had a program to figure out where to go fishing, it might be appropriate to limit usage to members of the fishing club.

That is somewhat unrelated though. VOICE members put up the cash to get the rights to the PMMail source. VOICE members are also doing the (volunteer) work to improve the program (and it is greatly improved, IMO), so I guess that the VOICE members have the final say in how the program is distributed, and to whom. I suppose that you could become a member, and request a review of the policy, but I don't see that those who own the program are likely to change their minds, at this time. It is, after all, one of the benefits of belonging to VOICE.

Blonde Guy

Quote from: Fr4nk on 2010.07.05, 23:39:11
Yes I know. But its not nice and should be changed.

I don't force someone to be member in my fishing club if he want use one of my programs if you know what I mean.

Seriously, no one has asked. There have been a few comments like yours. But VOICE bought the software, and legally, they can do with it as they like. You are free to ask them to sell you a copy without VOICE membership.

Neil
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Fr4nk

@Dough and Neil: Sure, they can do what they want. I just tell my opinion about that. The fishing club thingy was just and example about a connection of two things which should not be connected. I never saw this kind of license before, not on OS2, Linux, Windows, Mac or any other system. For sure VOICE can do it legally. But it is a question about the spirit of license agreements. And its a really bad sign for the future and a bad taste when a fringe group (VOICE members) inside another fringe group (OS/2 or eCs user) starts "member only" activities and makes barriers. No need to say that the development part itself is very nice.

Dunno how to explain that further but just have a look on Linux and Open Source and have a look on advantages we have on OS/2 using ported software and think about what would happen when Linux Software would be limited to XXXXX [insert any user group here] and have a look on the advantages the progress software made last years with this kind of open mentality against the old Windows-style mindset with as less as possible barriers. And especially OS2 users and user groups should know about these things beacuse this saved our asses the last years.

QuoteYou are free to ask them to sell you a copy without VOICE membership.

Well maybe I will do but what about future updates, bugfixes etc.. And who exactly is "them"? I talked with some VOICE members in past and all said they don't like this kind of license but there is only one way.