• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

LAN-based OS/2 messenger.

Started by Ben, 2007.07.04, 19:36:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I seem to recall that at one time, however far back, that there was an OS/2 based instant messenger that worked on a LAN without the need of an Internet connection.

I get the funny feeling that that something is just under my nose, but I can't for the like of me, think of it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks.

P.S. Just in case: I'm not looking for an Instant Messenger for use over the Internet. I have one of those.

RobertM

Quote from: Ben on 2007.07.04, 19:36:21
I seem to recall that at one time, however far back, that there was an OS/2 based instant messenger that worked on a LAN without the need of an Internet connection.

I get the funny feeling that that something is just under my nose, but I can't for the like of me, think of it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks.

P.S. Just in case: I'm not looking for an Instant Messenger for use over the Internet. I have one of those.

Hi Ben,

There is of course, Network Messaging - which can broadcast to everyone, groups, or specific usernames. Kinda cumbersome, but works. There are also some programs (and related server apps for some of them) on Hobbes in the chat section. The other one was P2P/2 (Person to Person/2) which *I THINK* came on the Bonus Pack CD for Warp 3 or 4... *I THINK* it even did video conferencing with supported hardware. Been a long time since I have used or tried any of those (other than Network Messaging), so I am not sure.

There are also some REXX apps that do chat, also on Hobbes. Those can be used a variety of ways with a variety of interfaces (depending on your coding ability) from web to standalone non-GUI and GUI (using something like gpfRexx or Dr Dialog) ...

HTH,
-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Andi

The simplest form is - 'net send USER Text.....' or 'net send /broadcast....' (try net send ?). This works with Win workstations too.

By the way, does anyone know a more comfortable chat solution for OS/2 and Win for my home lan? Is there any jabber server for OS/2 available? Nice client gui for OS/2? PSI would be a good client, but is there a server available?

Ben

Quote from: RobertM on 2007.07.04, 20:32:33
There is of course, Network Messaging - which can broadcast to everyone, groups, or specific usernames. Kinda cumbersome, but works. There are also some programs (and related server apps for some of them) on Hobbes in the chat section. The other one was P2P/2 (Person to Person/2) which *I THINK* came on the Bonus Pack CD for Warp 3 or 4... *I THINK* it even did video conferencing with supported hardware. Been a long time since I have used or tried any of those (other than Network Messaging), so I am not sure.

There are also some REXX apps that do chat, also on Hobbes. Those can be used a variety of ways with a variety of interfaces (depending on your coding ability) from web to standalone non-GUI and GUI (using something like gpfRexx or Dr Dialog) ...
Thanks, Robert.

Network Messaging I had forgotten about and I've been trying it out since you posted. It works, but one has to click a lot of buttons to send a message.

P2P/2 I haven't been able to find.

I have Warp 3 CDs somewhere...
*checks under pillow pile in the corner*

RobertM

Hi Ben,

There was recently a P2P port listed on OS/2World (maybe Azearuis? (sp)) - as well, when it comes to Network Messaging, if you are fluent in REXX, you can write your own interface to Network Messaging for sending messages (which is pretty much how different apps like UPS monitoring software send messages via Network Messaging - either through REXX or C).

-Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

WarpWorld

Ben

Quote from: Bojan89 on 2008.07.24, 00:03:02
Maybe Pigeon...

Pigeon?

*cooos*

Oh, do tell more!

What is Pigeon precisely?

BigWarpGuy

I assume they are not referring to a small feathery creature that tastes good with certain sauces?  ???  ;D

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/04/07/2014230.shtml  "Gaim Renamed — Now Pidgin IM" Pidgin IM?  ???

Saijin_Naib

Of course Pidgin IM. However, it needs the GTK+ Runtime and other things ported to OS/2 first before it could ever be used.

Ben

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.07.24, 21:42:47
Of course Pidgin IM. However, it needs the GTK+ Runtime and other things ported to OS/2 first before it could ever be used.
Ack!

It is hardly a viable solution then... for I was looking for something that could actually be used...  :-\ *smacks forehead*

Saijin Naib; I "thank you" for the information.

I guess I will have to be more careful and try to avoid stepping into Pigeon Pooh.
  :D

BigWarpGuy

or be careful not to be a victim of a pigeon flyby?  ;D

Saijin_Naib

No, it's not nearly viable unfortunately. As of right now, both SIM and MrMessage are having issues with OSCAR and are unreliable for sending messages to other OSCAR users. I hope to see these issues resolved in the near future, but that still does not help the issue of LAN messaging. I digress.

RobertM

Somewhere there is a LanMan NetMessenging Tool out there that is easier to use than "Network Messenging" included with WSeB et al. I think it is IBM EWS, but not sure. May want to check Hobbes or whatever is left of the EWS repository.

As a side note, if you cant find the original IBM EWS repository, keep looking... someone out there archived it (maybe on the dreamland site? not sure... but I saw it relatively recently).

Otherwise, there are some tools on Hobbes that enable anyone semi-proficient in REXX to write their own interface to it... it seems pretty simple to interface with it... a lot of neat programs seem to do it, including A. Schwartz'z UPS monitor, APC's horrendous UPS monitor and more.

-Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

jalih

Hi all,

This is one of the reasons I would like to see Inferno get ported to OS/2.

http://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/

Network listeners are really easy to implement with inferno. Below are source files for two simple Inferno programs that took just a couple of minutes to write. Server that listens for messages and a client for sending messages on a network.

Server: http://www.tip9ug.jp/who/jalih/server3.b

Client: http://www.tip9ug.jp/who/jalih/client.b

Screenshot that shows them on action, running on top of a Plan9 operating system: http://www.tip9ug.jp/who/jalih/capture.png

--jalih

WarpWorld

Pigeon is newer version of Telegraf/2.That is not Pidgin...  >:(  ;)