• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Wordpress or Joomla ?

Started by sXwamp, 2010.10.16, 21:18:34

Previous topic - Next topic

sXwamp

I was thinking about moving my web site over to Wordpress or Joomla.

Here is the Wordpress example:

http://os2notes.com/word/

However I was leaning toward Joomla, does anyone have experience with Joomla???

Thanks,

Greggory

crimso

It depends on what you want to do with it. Word has it that Wordpress has rather bad code quality -- which implies bad security. It's basically still a hacked blogging script. From my own experience, Joomla is mediocre security-wise and does not scale well. The backend quickly gets confusing when the number of articles grows. Ask the guys running OS/2 World.com. You may want to have a look at a more modern CMS like TYPOlight (has nothing to do with TYPO3) or MODx.

warpcafe

Hi,

I'm thinking about that for ages and have not found the "perfect match" so far for my needs.
Some time ago I was thinking about even simply using Wiki... well, it depends, as crimso said, upon what you already have as content, where you want to go and what your website hoster offers in matter of DB yes/no, PHP yes/no... et cetera and the cost involved.

FWIW, I found this site very useful:
http://www.cmsmatrix.org

...however, it only compares CMS systems (although very detailed). This means, there is no wishlist-style wizard that will help you select the best choice for your case. But if you are not sure whether to decide for e.g. Joomla or CmsMadeSimple - this site is perfect.
WRT Wordpress: It seems the v3 has improved quite a lot regarding security... however, as you also might well know, making something "secure" which based on PHP is a work of science on its own.

Regards, HTH,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Fahrvenugen

It all depends on what you want to do.  I've worked with both, and I am not a huge fan of either one.

If you want a blogging site or a fairly straight forward news type site, then Wordpress is more then adequate.  However if you're trying to do a full-blown website, Wordpress (while it can be made to work) in my  view can be a pain in the you-know-where.  It was written for blogging, and having worked with it on a few live sites it just seems like the idea of being able to do a full blown website was an afterthought.

For a full blown website, Joomla is relatively straight forward, however its blogging capabilities are definitely weaker then Wordpress.  However I've also found that Joomla can be confusing in the back-end, also it can be limiting at times (for example, I havn't checked the latest version so this might have changed, but generally it isn't easy to do multiple tags for the same web page in Joomla, or have the same web page show up in 2 different categories without making 2 complete copies of the page)

Lately I've found that I quite like Drupal in terms of flexibility, however it has a significant learning curve.

I've also been impressed with CMS'es like Modx, CMS Made Simple, among others.  They all have their strengths and weaknesses.  So far I havn't found one that I like 100%

RobertM

I've got to agree 100% with Fahrvenugen's assessment (I've run both - and others).

We run a variety of Wordpress sites... some blogs only (like mine at blog.robertmauro.com), some (not yet enabled on the main domain) as "full websites" such as blogtest.robertmauro.com which will be a replacement for www.solfeet.com

In the second example, we've set up pages (which are still constrained by the theme(s) installed) for the main website content and direct all the blog posts to the "Blogs" link. It's kinda clumsy on the initial setup, and I have a few different mods installed, but it works.

The easiest I've used for website creation is Typo/2 (or is it Typo/3?). But it's horrendous as a blog. For website stuff though, it's far easier if you are setting up a site for a customer to update than say Joomla. Much less of a learning curve.

In any event (ie: whatever you choose), look into the various plugins and such available to add greater functionality. In this, Wordpress and Joomla (and probably Drupal) have tons... not so many for the other options out there.

Related note: virtually anything that's pure Apache/PHP/MySQL driven should work fine on OS/2 and eComStation. There are some (quite a few maybe?) that require custom DLLs or some other such support code that's OS specific - but it's usually pretty easy to figure out which is which based on their system requirements. If it lists only AMP as a requirement, regardless of OS, it should probably work. And for most situations, you can follow the Linux known restrictions section (as opposed to the Windows/IIS or Windows/Apache restrictions).

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

crimso

Quote from: RobertM on 2010.10.17, 23:48:30
The easiest I've used for website creation is Typo/2 (or is it Typo/3?). But it's horrendous as a blog. For website stuff though, it's far easier if you are setting up a site for a customer to update than say Joomla. Much less of a learning curve.

That's TYPO3. I mostly use this for my customers. Like Drupal it has quite a learning curve but you get a great deal of flexibility in return. There are add-ons available that help you a lot in setting up reasonable basics and you can do quite a lot without having to write PHP code. As for blogging, there are two add-ons available. Anyway, for a blogging-only site, TYPO3 is overkill unless you plan to extend the site in the future.