• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2 Warp 4.XX virtual image?

Started by ajmcello, 2010.12.17, 01:09:08

Previous topic - Next topic

ajmcello

Does anyone have a OS/2 Warp virtual image (virtualbox, vmware, Virtual PC etc) they could send to me?

I can provide an ftp site, I'm just having all kinds of troubles installing 4.0 or 4.52.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :)

RobertM

Quote from: ajmcello on 2010.12.17, 01:09:08
Does anyone have a OS/2 Warp virtual image (virtualbox, vmware, Virtual PC etc) they could send to me?

I can provide an ftp site, I'm just having all kinds of troubles installing 4.0 or 4.52.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :)

What are you trying to install it on? In a VM or on "bare metal"? If it's "bare metal" you should consider eComStation v2.0 which you can get from mensys.nl - or post some information regarding what installation issues you are having.

If on a VM, we'd need more information as to which VM as you would need an image that was created for the correct VM (ie: proper "hardware" support/drivers installed for the VM you are using).

If this is for a system that controls specialized devices, then "bare metal" may be the way you need to go (unless you are sure that the hardware support for such devices is properly virtualized).

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ajmcello

It would be "bare metal". It is for a controller that is presently running 3.0 or 3.5, but it is so slow and almost everything I do results in an hourglass of death. I have a copy of 4.0 and 4.5, but I can't get it to install on anything, not even VM.

I figured once I got it booted on VM, I could diskimage it onto a 1 or 2GB drive and try to boot it up on an old pentium 100 or something.

I'd like to stay away from ecomstation, but maybe I have no other choice.

I've tried the updated disks, copied drivers onto them, but always seem to end up with some kind of error, either can't find cdrom or hard disk drive, or something similar.

Is there a way I can get an image of 4.0 or 4.5?

ivan

What hardware are you trying to put OS/2 on?

Given that information I can give you a list of what should be on each of the three startup floppies.   

If you can boot from the floppies you have and start te install but it gives you the error message on the first reboot then you most probanly have the line 'set copyfromfloppy=1' missing from rhe config.sys on the second disk.  If you can't boot from the floppies then there is a real problem that changed disks might fix.

ivan

RobertM

Quote from: ajmcello on 2010.12.22, 06:47:28

It would be "bare metal"...

I figured once I got it booted on VM, I could diskimage it onto a 1 or 2GB drive and try to boot it up on an old pentium 100 or something.

I'd like to stay away from ecomstation, but maybe I have no other choice.

Well, you could simply install v4 on the Pentium 100. Or you could tell your employer to spend a few bucks on eCS so it runs on a modern machine. I get so very very very very very pissed when I see companies that spend next to NOTHING on an OS/2 install that has run for a decade or more, and then needs to replace failed hardware and cant spend the money on a license that will run on it - yet spends TONS on Windows support. It makes no darn sense.

So... those are your best bets... Pentium and Warp 4, or eCS. Considering how much the specialized software must have cost, and the obvious intent to keep it running without migration costs, it should be a minor cost to keep the machine running another decade on new hardware and eCS.

Sorry for venting... just recently dealt with helping one guy who is contracted for a big big big company that probably spent lots on his consulting fees... but nothing towards a new license for the hardware they had which would have alleviated their situation at far less cost, in FAR less time. I figure he coulda been done in a day... instead of a week plus. You do the math... They coulda bought an entire new system and an eCS license long before the 10 or so days they paid him to avoid going that route. Makes no sense.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ajmcello

I would, but I am my own employer, and in this case, I don't have the money to spend. If I did, I'd spend it on the actual upgrade to Windows XP, but I need to make some profit on this machine first.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I ended up installing it on a 486 and got it working from there.

RobertM

Quote from: ajmcello on 2010.12.24, 01:15:01

I would, but I am my own employer, and in this case, I don't have the money to spend. If I did, I'd spend it on the actual upgrade to Windows XP, but I need to make some profit on this machine first.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I ended up installing it on a 486 and got it working from there.

Well, glad you got it working, and glad you didn't waste your money on a downgrade to XP. None of the hardware you have (the 486, original Warp 3 box, or the Pentium) would have run Windows XP in it's current incarnation. You'd be lucky to get an original XP release to install and run on the Pentium at anything near a usable speed. And of course, then there's the drivers and software for what seems like a proprietary setup that runs some sort of specialized machine/device.

The very outdated and now inaccurate Recommended XP System Requirements:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865
- Pentium 300
- 128MB RAM

The real requirements (with SP3 and the few hundred fixes since):
- 1GHz CPU or better
- 1GB RAM

Glad you did not choose that route. Best of luck to you.

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|