• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

How to convert video files to play on OS/2 Warp 4

Started by Blonde Guy, 2011.02.22, 05:47:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Blonde Guy

I have some old OS/2 systems that are running Warp 4, FP 8. The multi-media player works for MACAW.AVI with sound.

I'd like to play modern videos on these systems. Rather than try to get some modern player to work on FP8 (a waste of time, I think), I'd like to convert the videos to play on the original Warp 4 player.

I've tried ffmpeg, but I don't know what encoding to ask for. Everything I've tried so far causes one error or another when I try to open the file in Player. Can anyone suggest how to convert videos to play on the old player?
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

jep

See the ongoing discussion about AVxCAT (formerly FFMPEGCA), it contain an option to create OS/2 compatible video clips.

CDRWSel

Try following script (generated by AVxCAT with less modifications)

Change ff_inputfile
And ff_outputfile
don't try to use higher video size... (it will no work)
the -async is for video/audio syncro (suggested but not required)
The mapping is planned for video + audio stream
If you don't know, just set it to "", ffmpeg will use defaults
change ffmpeg path to your ffmpeg path

/* */
ff_inputfile="C:\MMOS2\MOVIES\ecs.mpg"
ff_inputfile='"'||ff_inputfile ||'"'
ff_outfile="C:\home\default\.avxcat\ecs.mpg"
Out_AVmap=" -map 0.0 -map 0.1"
more_map=""
ff_outfile='"'||ff_outfile||'"'
ffmpeg_prms=' -i '||ff_inputfile||''||Out_AVmap||' -s 480x360 -vcodec mpeg1video -b 1000k -r 25.00 -async 3'
ffmpeg_prms=ffmpeg_prms||' -ar 44100 -acodec mp2 -ab 160k -vol 256 -ac 2'
ffmpeg_prms=ffmpeg_prms||' '||ff_outfile||' '||more_map
'C:\PROGRAMS\FFMPEGCA\FFMPEG-R25157\ffmpeg.exe -y '||ffmpeg_prms
Exit

Advices:
ffmpeg doesn't support 5.1 audio stream (be carefull with WMV)
OS/2 mpg file has mp2 audio stream in it and this has to be specified to have a compatible
video file. The OS/2 and eCs default player are same and it should work under OS/2 as well under eCS.

You can do a try adding -f mpeg1video but this should make the video not work !

Cheers
Remy

RobertM

If you haven't installed the MMPack, you'll be stuck with older AVI files and Ultimotion.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Blonde Guy

Quote from: RobertM on 2011.02.22, 22:17:46
If you haven't installed the MMPack, you'll be stuck with older AVI files and Ultimotion.

I looked at MMPack from Theta Band, and I don't think that's the package you are talking about. I looked at MMAudioPack, and that looked more promising, but after applying it, even videos that played before don't play now.

MMAudioPack only has audio ioprocs anyway, but if lack of audio support was preventing me from playing videos, then it might have fixed it.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

RobertM

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2011.02.24, 18:14:41
Quote from: RobertM on 2011.02.22, 22:17:46

I looked at MMPack from Theta Band, and I don't think that's the package you are talking about. I looked at MMAudioPack, and that looked more promising, but after applying it, even videos that played before don't play now.

MMAudioPack only has audio ioprocs anyway, but if lack of audio support was preventing me from playing videos, then it might have fixed it.

I am probably mis-remembering the name, but it was something released with Netscape 4.61 for OS/2 to enable a wider range of video formats.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi Robert

I think you are thinking of the Netscape Multimedia Plugin Pack which, if I remember correctly, contained some Multimedia updates as well as Netscape plugins.

Regards

Pete