• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

USB mystery

Started by Kif, 2007.08.13, 21:56:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Kif

Hi

On my OS/2 Warp 4 (fixpack 16), I'm using USB to move data to / from memory cards, cameras and mp3 players, and printing,   with very few problems, but I have never been able to use devices with more than one 'disk', neither multi card readers, or devices with build in memory and connector for cards.

In those cases only the first 'drive' is ever seen.

I also have been unable to comunicate with my palm over USB, using pilot-link (0.12), even though the palm are detected by usbres (and functions great with the same software on linux).

At one time somebody  told me, it probably was an IRQ problem.

Until now this has been a small problem, and not anything I took too serious, but by now it has become a pain in the butt.

So now I have been trying to solve my IRQ conflicts, without much luck  :(

And now to my question :

As far as I can see in the IRQ list from rmview, the USB system is using 4 IRQ's, 3 for  the UHCI host controller, and one for EHCI, isn't this a bit overkill ?

I had an overlap at IRQ 11 (net & usb) but have now moved the net to IRQ 7 without any changes.

Any idea what could be the cause of my problem.

RMVIEW: Physical view
  IRQ Level =  0  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    TIMER_CH_0
  IRQ Level =  1  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    KBD_0 Keyboard Controller
  IRQ Level =  2  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    PIC_1
  IRQ Level =  3  PCI Pin = B     Flg = EXCLUSIVE    UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller
  IRQ Level =  4  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = MULTIPLEXED  SERIAL_0 Serial Controller
  IRQ Level =  5  PCI Pin = C     Flg = SHARED       UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller
  IRQ Level =  5  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = SHARED       Creative Labs SBLive!
  IRQ Level =  6  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = MULTIPLEXED  FLOPPY_0 Floppy Controller
  IRQ Level =  7  PCI Pin = A     Flg = SHARED       ETHERNET_0 Realtek 8139
  IRQ Level =  8  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    RTC
  IRQ Level =  9  PCI Pin = D     Flg = EXCLUSIVE    EHCI Compliant USB Host Controller
  IRQ Level = 10  PCI Pin = A     Flg = SHARED       Symbios Logic SYM538XX Controller
  IRQ Level = 11  PCI Pin = A     Flg = SHARED       UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller
  IRQ Level = 12  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    AUX_0 PS/2 Auxiliary Device Controller
  IRQ Level = 14  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = MULTIPLEXED  IDE_0 (E)IDE Controller
  IRQ Level = 15  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = MULTIPLEXED  IDE_1 (E)IDE Controller

The UHCI and EHCI drivers are both version 1.1.

Thanks

Kim Foder

Pete

Hi Kim

The USB problem sounds like a case of old drivers.

I have no idea what release controller drivers version 1.1 were packaged with but using bldlevel will tell you exactly which build is installed.

The current (last) build for base and mass storage USB drivers was 10.162 - you would also benefit from the last IDE (10161 ?) and UDF216 update packages as they contain various ide updates including the last os2dasd.dmd driver which is supposed to cure a few access problems.

If you do not have access to those drivers then maybe you need to consider purchasing a Warp4 to eCS Upgrade as the only legal way to obtain those drivers now.

You may find USBcfg helpful in configuring USB drivers - and also all the help is in 1 place along with a USB Removable drives FAQ  http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

The above presumes you are using IBM USB drivers.

Hope the above is of some help  :-)

Pete