• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Open Letter to Brad Wardell about Object Desktop for OS/2

Started by crimso, 2011.03.28, 21:41:12

Previous topic - Next topic

crimso

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/20675/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Monday, 21 March 2011

Craig Mille. .. .

I'd be surprised if it happened. IIRC some OS/2 users managed to *really* put him off.

RobertM

Quote from: crimso on 2011.03.28, 21:41:12
http://www.os2world.com/content/view/20675/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Monday, 21 March 2011

Craig Mille. .. .

I'd be surprised if it happened. IIRC some OS/2 users managed to *really* put him off.

As well as IBM themselves, when they approved Serenity Systems for releasing updated OS/2 clients over his offer to do the same.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

craigm

Ya...it's a long shot but nothing tried, nothing gained. Those things happened a decade ago, I am hoping we all can move past it and not let such a great app die. Well see.

Craig Miller
www.bluenexus.net

RobertM

Quote from: craigm on 2011.03.28, 23:59:51
Ya...it's a long shot but nothing tried, nothing gained. Those things happened a decade ago, I am hoping we all can move past it and not let such a great app die. Well see.

Craig Miller
www.bluenexus.net

Longshot or not, I commend your effort, and hope that the axiom "time heals all wounds" may be accurate/applicable in this instance... Brad may surprise us! (though, honestly, I am not sure what I'd bet his response would be - yea or nay).

I do know, from previous conversations, that chunks of it would have to be either ripped out or not included (or whatever) as they were licensed from elsewhere. That, for instance, includes much of the document support.

Hopefully Brad remembers those of us who enthusiastically supported his efforts, projects and programs - as opposed to some of the bad experiences he had.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Ben

Having been a major OS/2 advocate for a long time, I'd be surprised if Brad doesn't have a soft spot, deep inside of him somewhere still, for our favourite OS. I recall his heavy activity in the  OS/2 news groups where he ate and bled  OS/2.

However, I also remember his bitter departure from the scene and, as Robert said, (and as I did elsewhere), a lot of the code for the Object Desktop components does not belong to Stardock and thus, (and obviously), would not be his to give away.

But, for sure Stardock does own some of that code and sitting on it wouldn't serve any purpose, (at least from where I am sitting), and I'm sure the increased income that switching to Windows did, (and does), eventually yield, I cannot see how he could still be bitter. For after all is said and done, Stardock has grown because of it, (of course, that is not to say that it wouldn't have anyway, should IBM not have scorned it's once-favourite son -- shades of David Barnes).

However, I for one, have my fingers crossed and am wishing Craig good luck! on this endeavour... though not for the first time.

Mentore

Quote from: Ben on 2011.03.29, 02:12:28
However, I for one, have my fingers crossed and am wishing Craig good luck! on this endeavour... though not for the first time.

I completely second that - and also what the other posters said.

Projects like OD are a great enhanchement for OS/2. I didn't have money to buy it when it came out, and a friend of mine showed me just some of the things it added to the WPS (and I went green with envy).

Knowing how much the OS/2 community shrank in these years, I really wonder why many of us OS/2 users still keep the old, bad habit of sitting down and waiting for someone to fulfill his needs, sometimes whining and complaining - even in harsh tones - that this works bad and that is worse, maybe without giving any kind of help or support to the community.

The eCS (OS/2) community seems to be growing, judging from what the boys at Mensys say, and other eCS resellers are keeping pace - altough the economical situation is still critical, people buy eCS. As a community member, I feel that Craig has done a good thing setting up BlueNexus and asking Brad to give OD.

Fingers crossed.

Mentore

ivan

While we are on the campaign trail there is always DeScribe, or at least the part that imports and exports different file types - I'd like to be able to import some of the newer MS doc types.

ivan

miturbide

I also wish you luck. OD was one of the best software at that time for OS/2 users, and it is just sad to see it as abandonware today.

I also have my fingers crossed.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

RobertM

Quote from: ivan on 2011.03.29, 12:41:38
While we are on the campaign trail there is always DeScribe, or at least the part that imports and exports different file types - I'd like to be able to import some of the newer MS doc types.

ivan

Hi Ivan,

That is something that had already been discussed (with them, IIRC), and those are most definitely licensed and not releasable to others.

A better route for such a project may be to rip apart OpenOffice's code, as that is something we have access to, and create import/export/view filters from that.

Best,
Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

jep

Hello,
Yes, it would benefit us much if we could reuse the OO code, as a matter of fact as much code as possible from any project and not rewrite it alla every time and redistribute versions/tweaks over and over again.

---------------->8======
snip snip
Quote from: RobertM on 2011.03.29, 21:27:11
A better route for such a project may be to rip apart OpenOffice's code, as that is something we have access to, and create import/export/view filters from that.

ivan

Hi Robert,

I know the actual filters are from word for word and as such we can't get at them.  I would be more interested in the interface to them such that other filters.converters could be implanted and used.

To my mind OO is a typical windows program - overinflated and trying to be all things to all people and as a consequence falls short of everything.  Why do we need java in a word processor?  Why do we need java in OO full stop?

Maybe we should rip it apart and produce something lean and mean that just gets the job done.

RobertM

Quote from: ivan on 2011.03.31, 18:42:50
Hi Robert,

I know the actual filters are from word for word and as such we can't get at them.  I would be more interested in the interface to them such that other filters.converters could be implanted and used.

To my mind OO is a typical windows program - overinflated and trying to be all things to all people and as a consequence falls short of everything.  Why do we need java in a word processor?  Why do we need java in OO full stop?

Maybe we should rip it apart and produce something lean and mean that just gets the job done.

Ivan,

Exactly my thoughts. The importers have got to be something that can be ripped out. I doubt any sensible programmer would make it a monolithic part of the app itself.

I plan on looking at the (OS/2 variant) code myself from the Firefox 3.x builds (if I can get my hands on it) to try to yank out the PDF support to turn it into a REXX DLL.

-R

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

I came across this http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=2558    the other day and wonder if it would have any affect on getting some of Stardock's past OS/2 offerings opened up.

ivan

craigm

Boy I hope so...tomorrow I will be resending my email plus sending it via their website. The week after I am calling as asking for Brad personally...will be interesting if he takes my call.