• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS 2.1 this Saturday?

Started by miturbide, 2011.05.08, 02:16:01

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/20807/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Friday, 06 May 2011

According to[. .. .

Well, I think the saturday is over en europe. I just hope they release it soon. I want to test it on some machines I got here.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

ivan

You didn't think it would actually happen did you?  Look at the past.

ivan

Andi710

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.05.08, 02:16:01
Well, I think the saturday is over en europe. I just hope they release it soon. I want to test it on some machines I got here.

Me too. Just installed eCS 2.0 on a new machine with Phenom II X6. Installed pretty well onto an SSD. However, no SATA3, but only SATA2. And I did not get the NIC to work (although it recognized the right one for the GenMac driver). No SMP either, at this time (PM hangs at WPS start - using SNAP on a X850PCI-E).

Very interested to see if version 2.1 installs any better.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Andi710 on 2011.05.08, 22:30:13

Me too. Just installed eCS 2.0 on a new machine with Phenom II X6. Installed pretty well onto an SSD. However, no SATA3, but only SATA2. And I did not get the NIC to work (although it recognized the right one for the GenMac driver). No SMP either, at this time (PM hangs at WPS start - using SNAP on a X850PCI-E).

Snap is likely the problem with SMP mode.... Try Panorama....

miturbide

ivan: I never lose faith that things will change for good  :D
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

ivan

Martin, I too would like to think that things will change but past experience doesn't give much hope of that.

CDRWSel

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2011.05.09, 01:29:42
Quote from: Andi710 on 2011.05.08, 22:30:13

Snap is likely the problem with SMP mode.... Try Panorama....

panorama has no video acceleration for smooth video play nor has it wide screen usable for any working video card yet. 

warpcafe

Hi,

some update in case you weren't already aware:
eCS 2.1 was distributed on Sunday morning as true media kits with printed manual etc.

The reason for the delay was that they ran into a problem where they needed to do only a small change.
However that required working on the translation files for German too - in order to finalize the SVN checkins and build the stuff.
I personally did the translation Sunday morning and they went off to build and burn it. Done.
I cannot tell when the ISOs will be available for download but I am checking from time to time just in case Mensys "forgets" to tell about it. ;)

Personally, I am OK with what eCS is doing for me and what I actually need to do with it. Except 1 thing:
As long as I need to LVM/partition/format/<or whetever> any f*** USB MSD I attach (e.g. my phone's SD storage via USB cable) this OS is no longer an option (I wonder how any other end-uder operating system under the sun manages to let me access FAT32 USB MSD without complaining like eCS is doing)

And finally, even at the risk of upsetting folks here: The WPS is overrated. Sorry.
If I think about what I *do* with the WPS it boils down to actually the same things I can do with FileCommander (and in less time BTW). I know this does perhaps only apply to me, but I wonder why people absolutely want to stick with the WPS like if it was some kind of religion.

Okay this is far too much OT.
Let me close by saying that I am looking forward to eCS 2.1 and I appreciate what Mensys is doing / has done.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

MrJinx

I used to have those problems with all my fat 32 usb media devices until until I figured out how to use DFSEE to add lvm data and a static drive letter for each of the large floppy format sticks, cell micro sd, and  media players with built in ram. When the MSD driver assigns a drive letter, The fat32 ifs driver can't see the drive. If LVM data is present, then the Fat32 driver see's it as a regular partition (Although it is still in large floppy format)and the ifs can read the data. 

Only 1 crummy Craig 4gig media player still doesn't work. My blackberry, Archos media player, Android tablet and 32gig usb mem sticks are working great.

The only trick here is that you have to remember what letters you assign each of these devices and keep them different. So LVM won't have to assign a drive letter if you want to plug in more than one of them at a time,

Example:
My camera with a 16gig flash card is assigned P:
My digital video camcorder with a 32gig sd card is set to V:
My Android Tablet's micro sd card (16gig) is set to T:
My Archo's Media Player (8gig)is set to M:
The memory sticks are set to X: and Y:

It would be nice to not have to do this but it works and only needs to be done once.

When these devices are plugged into  a Windy Box, Windows assigns the  next open drive letter and doesn't even know LVM data is there. 

warpcafe

Hi MrJinx,

would you mind sharing the (more or less) exact steps that need to be done with DFSee, please?

Thanks a ton in advance, kind regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Robert Deed

I think the love of WPS is not so much that it can do things extremely quickly, but it is extremely expendable (alot more then any window manager or desktop on other OS) and it keeps a good amount of commonality between apps, unlike linux when someone changes something and all of a sudden you now have 2 seperate clipboards  ::kicks his work computer:: 

Quote from: warpcafe on 2011.05.09, 15:30:53
Hi,

some update in case you weren't already aware:
eCS 2.1 was distributed on Sunday morning as true media kits with printed manual etc.

The reason for the delay was that they ran into a problem where they needed to do only a small change.
However that required working on the translation files for German too - in order to finalize the SVN checkins and build the stuff.
I personally did the translation Sunday morning and they went off to build and burn it. Done.
I cannot tell when the ISOs will be available for download but I am checking from time to time just in case Mensys "forgets" to tell about it. ;)

Personally, I am OK with what eCS is doing for me and what I actually need to do with it. Except 1 thing:
As long as I need to LVM/partition/format/<or whetever> any f*** USB MSD I attach (e.g. my phone's SD storage via USB cable) this OS is no longer an option (I wonder how any other end-uder operating system under the sun manages to let me access FAT32 USB MSD without complaining like eCS is doing)

And finally, even at the risk of upsetting folks here: The WPS is overrated. Sorry.
If I think about what I *do* with the WPS it boils down to actually the same things I can do with FileCommander (and in less time BTW). I know this does perhaps only apply to me, but I wonder why people absolutely want to stick with the WPS like if it was some kind of religion.

Okay this is far too much OT.
Let me close by saying that I am looking forward to eCS 2.1 and I appreciate what Mensys is doing / has done.

Cheers,
Thomas

melf

I hope you know that eCS 2.1 is available now!
/Mikael

pcmzzz

I have various FAT32-formatted USB sticks. They all work fine under eCS. I use DFSee to edit the LVM information. I set the drive letter to * and let the LVM assign the letter. Next time the stick is plugged in, eCS sees it. My Goodmans MP3 player also works fine, but a Philips GoGear still refuses stubbornly to play ball - maybe even this will work once the USB MSD support gets improved.

MrJinx

As requested for warpcafe,

Working with FAT 32 USB Memory Devices larger than 2gig.
These instructions will allow you to access usb memory sticks and many usb storage based devices like cameras and phones using FAT32.

1. You will need DFSEE to perform the update to the device.

2. Syptom: you have plugged in a new memory stick or SDcard into your computer. OS/2 assigns it a drive letter but the drives view shows it has only 32meg of space on the disk and the file system is inaccessible. The card or stick is 4 gig or bigger and is fat32 formatted.

3. With the device still plugged in, Start DFSee,

Choose File> Open Object to work with> Disk and choose your memory  stick or device from the list. (Usually the last disk listed) You should see the capacity is listed correctly.

4. From the top menu, Choose Mode=FDISK>OS/2 LVM and BootManager>Interactive Edit LVM info.

┌──┤ Select partition to start LVM-edit with ├───┐
│ 01 ECS21           C: Pri 07 JFS        7812.8 MiB │
│ 02 ECS 2_0     D: Log 07 JFS       40962.6 MiB │
│ 03 I13Xoption          Pri 0a BMGR          7.8 MiB │
│ 04 I13Xneeded        Pri 0a BMGR          7.8 MiB │
│ ───────────────────────────────── │
│ 05 HOPKINS     U: Pri 07 JFS       31654.0 MiB │
│ ───────────────────────────────── │
│ 06 NO NAME     *: Pri 0c FAT32     15120.0 MiB <---Select your memory stick
└──────────────--───────────────────┘

5. Fill in only the Volume name and drive letter fields. Leave defaults for everything else.

6. Select OK, Exit DFSee. Do not eject the device using DFSee.

7. Eject the USB device either using the widget in eWorkplace or from a command line using "eject (Drive Letter eCS assigned the device before you used DFSee)"

8. unplug and re-insert the usb stick/device and it will take a few sec. longer to mount but should come up with the new drive letter

and the drive should now be accessible as long as the FAT32 driver is properly installed.

Notes: If the device is a MP3 player, cellphone or camera with only external memory. I usually perform these steps with a card reader before installing the sd or micro sd card in the device. then when I connect a usb cable to the device in question it usually works.

If you plug in a USB device and no drive letter is assigned, The device may not support the MSD standard. Like Keychain photo viewers. These instructions won't help.

Last Note: I have done this on several devices and large memory sticks. I have never lost existing data doing this but of course, You should back up data just in case of a hickup!