• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

"Problems were detected in your disk layout" - HELP

Started by StefanZ, 2011.05.18, 23:24:23

Previous topic - Next topic

StefanZ

Hello everyone,

whilst trying to install the new eCS 2.1, I'm getting this crazy error on the harddrive check:

"A partition on this disk has a mis-aligned boot sector which is causing it to overlap the location designated for the Drive Letter Assignment Table. (This problem may occur with certain Linux-based partitioning tools.)"

Ok, ok - yes, I admit, I did have some time ago some newer kind of Ubuntu installed together with one of those new versions of GRUB ;) And I basically understand the problem itself (although I have really no idea why i.e. GRUB would like to do such a nastiness to an innocent JFS partition belonging to a different OS).

Now - my question is of course: is there a (non-destructive) way of fixing the "mutated" extended partition?

Thanks a lot in advance!
St.

ivan

Hi Stefan,

Short of reformatting and repartitioning the drive (yes the new grub will mess with partitions it thinks it knows about) the only thing I can think of is Dfsee.  Hopefully that will sort out the mess.

ivan

StefanZ

Hello Ivan,

thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was thinking about DFSee as well and I'm quite able to use it (and yes, I own a licence key :)), nevertheless, I'm really not sure on >how< to use it to fix >this< specific issue :(

Anybody who nows how to use this Swiss army knife on my harddrive? :)

Thanks

abwillis

I've spent some time today trying to fix that same error here.  I had nothing on those partitions yet anyhow but was trying to avoid having to reload Ubuntu.  I found nothing that helped me in DFSee for this issue but you might try posting on the DFSee list and see if someone there has an idea.

rwklein

The LVM engine that eComstation uses from IBM is quit accurate. If a partition is found that does not have LVM information the LVM engine from IBM will markt the disc as being corrupt. To prevent this in eCS 2.0 was the disc checker. After extensive testing however still with the GA version of eCS 2.0 it was found at Warpstock 2010 in Trier on one system people there Linux partitions had been destroyed because of the LVM info being added to the disc.

Hence the error message:""A partition on this disk has a mis-aligned boot sector which is causing it to overlap the location designated for the Drive Letter Assignment Table. (This problem may occur with certain Linux-based partitioning tools.)"

Thats why the disc checker does not go ahead with adding the LVM information. Its basically something that seems to have been introduced in Linux distributions over the last 1 1/2 years.

Ask on the dfsee list. Or you can choose to use the disc checker to wipe the MBR.
But then again all partitions and data are gone!
Compared to the other issue's the disc checker can fix/guide you around with this was one that was less easy to come up with a fix.

Its caused by one or more partitions where LVM information can not be written to.

Roderick

Sigurd

Just a shot,

you may try:

Boot with DFSEE CD to the media overview
Goto the commandline (with mouse click at the bottom of the window)
type:

lvm-c  (i do not remember correclty if you need a spare like  lvm -c   or not)

If this does not help I describe another step here in the middle of the document (DFSEE is used).

http://pt.ecomstation.ru/showarticle.php?id=214

abwillis

One would think it could be fixed... one scenario I did see yesterday while working on this was that I installed eCS first and then Ubuntu (unfortunately for what I am trying to do it did not allow me to initially not install grub into the MBR which is what seems to be what messes all this up).  Once I got booted into Ubuntu I was able to move grub to another location and then reinstall Airboot.  I then booted into eCS and then found upon accessing LVM that 2 of my 3 eCS partitions did not show up, including my boot partition.  I could still access the partitions (obviously seeings I was booted from it) but the Drive was seen as corrupt.  It would seem that seeings the useability was still there that a fix should be possible.

ivan

The problem here is Ubuntu - it is becoming more like windows in respect of 'you will do it our way' and that is it.  I had a fight with it on a friends machine today.  Fortunately we had images of what was on the HD before we started so when I had to do 'new mbr' I could restore to the position before Ubuntu - he now has Open Suse 11.4 up and running from bootmanager.   Personally I don't see what all the hype around Ubuntu is for.

ivan

abwillis

The primary advantage, to me, of Ubuntu is that it doesn't use RPM/YUM.  I have found RPM/YUM to be to fragile.  The advantage of Ubuntu over Debian, to me, is that Debian does not update its packages as frequently as Ubuntu and I had so much I was needing to run that needed to be newer versions and it was so much more difficult to install than on Ubuntu.  Not that I like any of the available desktops but I really don't like the new Unity desktop that Ubuntu as released.  I haven't seen Gnome 3 yet that they avoided but it doesn't sound like it is any better.  With the state that Linux in general is in today I don't see why anyone would have been switching to it from OS/2 five years ago, much less longer ago (unless it just hasn't progressed any for that long).

sXwamp

Quote from: StefanZ on 2011.05.18, 23:24:23

Now - my question is of course: is there a (non-destructive) way of fixing the "mutated" extended partition?

I've had this happen quite a lot with Linux.  Delete all of the partitions that were created by Linux and then recreate them with eCS.  Also, all Linux partitions should be at the end of the drive away from the rest. I create all Linux partition from the end of free space and work backwards (only use eCS to partition).

http://www.os2notes.com/os2tripleboot.html

Greggory