• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

A "drop-box" tip

Started by melf, 2011.06.08, 10:25:25

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

I've wondered how to easy transfer files to my ftp-server and use it like a drop-box. Tried with netdrive, but with various success. There is probably several easy solutions, but today I found my. In the templates folder >>Internet Templates, there is an object I never noticed before, called "FTP Host". Just dragged one to my desktop and filled in host, remote directory, username etc. Now I can just drop a file on it and its transferred to the proper place. Nice and easy!
/Mikael

warpcafe

Hi Mikael,

wow. This is nice - never thought of that. Will try this! :-P
Thanks!

Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Batchheizer

Fine! I made two objects (Bin/ASCII) for the upload to hobbes.

melf

Fine to hear that it works! (Ehh..does it?)
/Mikael

Ben

Well, hot-damn!

That's neat!

I didn't know those things were drop-able!

Too much Windows-think being forced upon our beloved OS - I'm afraid that I too, have been affected.

That saves me a few steps in my procedure... now... I'm wondering if that will accept files over 2gig...

Great tip, Melf!

If you get any more be sure and pass them along.

:D

sXwamp

It is a great tip that I've been using for a while now, I also setup ftp accounts for my own drop box (personal and public use).

Greggory

wimpie

Quote from: melf on 2011.06.08, 10:25:25
I've wondered how to easy transfer files to my ftp-server and use it like a drop-box. Tried with netdrive, but with various success. There is probably several easy solutions, but today I found my. In the templates folder >>Internet Templates, there is an object I never noticed before, called "FTP Host". Just dragged one to my desktop and filled in host, remote directory, username etc. Now I can just drop a file on it and its transferred to the proper place. Nice and easy!

This was new to me too. You can double click on it and its remote content appears in a map. When you then double click an a map in that map than its remote content is shown as well. You can drag from and drop into such maps.

jep

Hello,

I've used it for a long time and really like that it's so well integrated with the wps so that the files within it appear as icons. I've though found it a bit picky and doesn't allow >2Gb files, secure transfer, reconnect etc.
The ftp engine has to be replaced, perhaps with NetDrive, though the rexx and wps/SOM part should remain the same.

//Jan-Erik

Ben

Well, there's no problem in getting it to handle files ">2Gb", just use the IBM FTP-PM update, (doesn't come with eCS), and it will take care of FTP-Host too.

However, I haven't been able to get it to work with file names that contain spaces. :(

I do not know the original name of that update as I renamed my archive of it many years ago, but if you can't find it anywhere I'll make a copy available to the community.

melf

This is great! I found a package on os2site: http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/tcpip/tcpip43/index.html . file is named ftp_lfs.zip from 2004 . It is  described: "IBM TestCase FTP Large File Support. Unofficial IBM update to the OS/2 FTP client and server (for TCP/IP 4.3 and higher) which adds support for transferring large files (>2GB)."

/Mikael

Ben

Now...

...if someone can come up with a way for FTP Host to handle the space-in-name problem, it will have become a very useful thing, and not just a useful one!

:D

melf

Ftp-host transfer files with spaces in filename in a correct way and with another ftp-program (Fire ftp) the name on the file (in the remote directory) appear correct. However using ftp-host to view such a file only shows a little part of the name. Is that your trouble too Ben?
/Mikael

Ben

That's correct.

It cuts off the file name after the first space.
:(