• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Driver for ITE8888

Started by richard.miller9, 2011.06.09, 23:51:39

Previous topic - Next topic

richard.miller9

I used a PCA-6178VE for my machine which is now obsolete.  Advantech recommended replacements all utilize the ITE8888 PCI to ISA bridge.  Is there a driver available for this device?  I had previously been able to set specific settings via BIOS (8-bit I/O cycles and 16-bit I/O cycles) and these settings now seem to be controlled by the ITE8888 but I am unsure how they are to be managed other than with a driver.

Thanks

Richard Miller

ivan

Hi Richard,

What are you using the machine for and what version of OS/2 are you using?

None of the machines here - all running OS/2 WSeB - have a specific PCI to ISA driver.

Let us know exactly what you are trying to do then we might be able to help.

ivan

richard.miller9

Ecomstation 1.2 and 2.0.  I think the bridge has a "transparent" mode that allows it to function without a driver, I am just assuming that to be able to change the I/O recovery time setting for 8-bit I/O cycles and 16-bit I/O cycles as I had previously been able to do so via BIOS setting would require a driver to now perform that configuration on this Ite8888.

i use a custom ISA interface board to essentially remap ISA addressing to communicate with 3 drawers of electronics.  this worked fine when the older SBC chipset supported ISA directly.  Now it appears that all the production SBC's utilize some type of PCI to ISA bridge and that these recovery time settings that use to be BIOS configured now need to be configured in another way (again, i assume driver required).

ivan

I was afraid it would be something like that.  I have been through a similar exercise when we replaced some computers at an engineering works.  We were fortunate because we could set timings in the software - it would have been a much larger job if they had been set in hardware.

I am assuming you have tried with the new setup and it fails at some point.  Does it produce log files and if so what do they say about the problem?

Another thought, is there a way the timings can be set in the software by using a config file, for example.  In our case it was as simple as opening the settings notebook and changing what was needed.

Does the ISA interface board have any jumpers that would allow you to change settings?  Most of the controller boards I've seen have sets of jumper pins or have the pads on the board that may have hard wired jumpers for a specific computer/board combination - takes a soldering iron to change things but they can be changed.

The other thing, what protocol are you using to communicate to the off board electronics?  If it is using standard com ports then there should be ways of setting things up in software.

I know this isn't very helpful but I'm still in the dark about what your system is.

ivan

wimpie

Quote from: richard.miller9 on 2011.06.10, 20:11:32
Ecomstation 1.2 and 2.0.  I think the bridge has a "transparent" mode that allows it to function without a driver, I am just assuming that to be able to change the I/O recovery time setting for 8-bit I/O cycles and 16-bit I/O cycles as I had previously been able to do so via BIOS setting would require a driver to now perform that configuration on this Ite8888.

See http://www.costronic.com/IT8888.PDF for the datasheet.

It shows that the 8-bit I/O cycles and 16-bit I/O cycles may be controlled by the Memory Top/IO Recovery register setting. It could be done by writing an application program that accesses the OEMHLP$ device driver.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/misc/pciutils_2.2.3_os2_dos.zip may do the trick.

Wim.