• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Mplayer/Smplayer problem

Started by klipp, 2011.06.28, 21:37:47

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

Smplayer (mplayer actually) only works with "Snap" and with no sound. Running it with "Panorama" (the preferred method) fails with "Unable to open SDDHELP$ helper device driver" and other options have no sound. I've read a couple of posts suggesting different additions to the mplayer config file I/E vo=kva:dive and, or ao=kai:dart, neither which seem to have any effect.
  Does anyone know a working solution for both sound & video under Panorama?

Thanks in advance for any ideas

klipp
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx

David McKenna

Klipp,

I am using Panorama and UNIAud with eCS 2.1 and mplayer works well by itself, with SMplayer and in my web browser (with the plugin). Here is my 'config' file:

# Write your default config options here!
vo=kva:dive
ao=kai:dart
codecsdir=C:\Programs\Mplayer\Codecs

Of course you need to set your codecsdir directory to where you have the codecs (if you have them). No big deal if you don't, they are rarely used. The vo= and ao= lines are the important ones. You also need to put the 'config' file where mplayer can find it. Easiest thing is to add SET MPLAYER_HOME=X:\mplayer (points at the directory mplayer is installed in) in CONFIG.SYS and put the 'config' file there.

SMPlayer has it's own preferences and is set from 'Options'->'Preferences'->'General'->'Video' and 'Audio'. For 'Video' I use 'kva(fast)' and for 'Audio' I use 'kai'.

HTH,

Dave McKenna

warpcafe

Hi klipp,

if the error message says something about "sddhelp$" I guess it means that somehting is still looking for SNAP drivers.
Which leads me to suspect that something went wrong when you switched from SNAP to Panorama...

Not 100% sure though.
HTH, Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

abwillis

Quote from: warpcafe on 2011.06.29, 09:58:55
Hi klipp,

if the error message says something about "sddhelp$" I guess it means that somehting is still looking for SNAP drivers.
Which leads me to suspect that something went wrong when you switched from SNAP to Panorama...

Not 100% sure though.
HTH, Thomas
I would suspect it more likely that smplayer is calling mplayer to use snap.  If you are using smplayer I think it will override the mplayer config file.  There is a gui setting in smplayer where you can set to use dive instead of snap.

klipp

Hry Guys!  THANKS! I got it working, sound and video! I had to change one item, In SMPlayer options I had to use "KVA (slower dive mode)" to make it finally work. I didn't mention it but this was on a Toshiba Laptop with ATI graphics.

Thanks again

klipp
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx