• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

RFI: Make a screenshot (a "capture") from REXX

Started by warpcafe, 2011.07.04, 12:40:27

Previous topic - Next topic

warpcafe

Hi,

can someone point me to a DLL (-function) or even commandline tool which enables me to make a screenshot of the desktop from code? Even if there is something which can do screenshots of "any window" (via specifying the windows HWND), that would be fine.
I just need a way to do this from REXX. (Oh, yes: For OS/2 and eComStation I mean. :-P )

TIA,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

ivan

Hi Thomas,

Have you looked at Gotcha it's GPL

Radek

A working C code is in Sullivan: OS/2 Presentation Manager for Masters (or something like that :) ), the section dealing with programming PM hooks. If you only want a DLL entry and not a hook, the code sould be much simpler. You get a bitmap of the captured window.

warpcafe

Hi ivan,
Quote from: ivan on 2011.07.04, 14:46:05
Have you looked at Gotcha it's GPL

I checked the descripition at Hobbes (Don't have eCS around for test-drive).
Hm. Sounds just like what I need :-P
Thanks for the tip! Will check it out later.

Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

warpcafe

Hi Radek,
Quote from: Radek on 2011.07.04, 15:30:43
A working C code ... [snip]

I will try if I can make something out of it, but I am C-agnostic. :-P
Even if I manage to get a working C-program from a source snippet ("by chance"), I would not be able to use that as a Rexx-callable DLL ... well OK; maybe a standalone thing. But still, there are a lot of "maybe" in this equation. :-)

Thanks a lot anyway!
(I still like your avatar very much though! :-P )
Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

wimpie

Quote from: warpcafe on 2011.07.04, 12:40:27
Hi,

can someone point me to a DLL (-function) or even commandline tool which enables me to make a screenshot of the desktop from code? Even if there is something which can do screenshots of "any window" (via specifying the windows HWND), that would be fine.
I just need a way to do this from REXX. (Oh, yes: For OS/2 and eComStation I mean. :-P )

TIA,
Thomas

There is the APM Automation Tool in the  IBM OS/2 Employee Written Software Catalog. It is APMTST.ZIP and it does just what you want and more. From the inf file:

APMT is a program package that provides a set of REXX functions. These functions can be used to write REXX programs which can drive any PMapplication running in the same PC or in a different PC. Some of the functions query the state of the  PM window controls, while others change them. This allows the REXX program (hereinafter called APMT client) to act in place of a human operator.

There is a.o. a SAVE_IMAGE function in there to save as selected window into a bmp file.

Wimpie.

warpcafe

Hi all,

thanks for the great suggestions so far!
In the meanwhile, I had a moment of true *headdesk* experience when recalling that there is a website known by the name of "Hobbes"... OUCH! And it has a whole damn directory of such things! *double-ouch* !! :)

FYI: @hobbes - /pub/os2/apps/graphics/scrncapt :D

Thanks again!
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

ivan

Stop damaging that desk Thomas, it doesn't deserve it  ;)

ivan

warpcafe

Quote from: ivan on 2011.07.05, 19:21:44
Stop damaging that desk Thomas, it doesn't deserve it  ;)

ivan

Hehe. ;)
You don't want to see all the scratches from my teeth and fingernails that originated when I was last programming something! :-/

Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

RobertM

I cannot recall for sure, but I think earlier versions of PMView were REXX callable/scriptable. Also, GBM may be suitable either as a back end or incorporated. There was, at one time, a REXX wrapper DLL to access much of it's functions. Grabbing screenshots shouldn't be difficult either way, and many of the GPI tutorials showed how to do similar...

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|