• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Firefox 8 20% Faster Than Firefox 5

Started by miturbide, 2011.07.11, 16:54:51

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

Following this news at Slashdot.org

http://www.extremetech.com/internet/89570-firefox-8-is-20-faster-than-firefox-5-matches-chrome-14

"Thanks to continued improvements to start-up and first paint performance, tweaks to memory footprint and garbage collection, and the addition of a new 2D graphics backend called Azure, Firefox 8 is some 20% faster than Firefox 5 across all major metrics — and actually about equal with Chrome 14 on JavaScript and 2D rendering performance. Azure (which is new with Firefox 7) replaces Cairo, and instead of dealing with Direct2D and Quartz, it allows Firefox to deal directly with the Direct3D and OpenGL subsystems — resulting in a 20% speed boost under Windows, and probably even more under OS X."

It seems that porting this release to eCS-OS2 it is not going to be simple. Any thoughts ?
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

melf

It also seems very confusing. I've heard about the new numbering system, but now I'm really confused..is Firefox 8 already out?
/Mikael

miturbide

Firefox 8 is not out, I'm not sure if it is on beta stage.

The versioning system it is different, but Im not sure if it good or bad. Seems that Mozilla want to do it like Chrome, that is on version 12 and I got no idea when they get to that version ;)

But just look it as "Firefox 8"="Future version of Firefox". 

My main concern is that this future versions of Firefox seems to make a major shift in the technology that is used to have, and it seems to me that it is going to have more challenge to port it eCS-OS2.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

aschn

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.07.11, 21:00:17
My main concern is that this future versions of Firefox seems to make a major shift in the technology that is used to have, and it seems to me that it is going to have more challenge to port it eCS-OS2.

Sure: It seems to me as then someone has to port Azure first. I fear that trends like that will be responsible for an early death.

Robert Deed

Quote from: aschn on 2011.07.11, 21:23:49

Sure: It seems to me as then someone has to port Azure first. I fear that trends like that will be responsible for an early dead.

I am willing to bet that Azure will have a cario compatable fallback mode, after all even in the Linux/Windows worlds (especially embedded)  devices may have substandard or poorly implemented OpenGL Drivers.   This is really mentionable as far as embedded devices are concerned since battery life vs slight performance increases become increasingly important.   I however would love to see some tweaking to the OS/2 version of firefox to improve screen rendering performance,  though I fear that comes down to needing updated accelerated video drivers for our display adapters.  There is only so much you can do without proper hardware support.   I know the authors of panorama would like to argue that, but real world usage cannot be disputed.

Pete

Hi All

I doubt it will be simply a case of porting Azure - surely we need the underlying OpenGL or Direct3D drivers for Azure to work with?

Regards

Pete

StefanZ

...whatever happened to GL/2?  :'(

aschn

Quote from: Robert Deed on 2011.07.11, 21:33:00
I am willing to bet that Azure will have a cairo compatible fallback mode, after all even in the Linux/Windows worlds (especially embedded)  devices may have substandard or poorly implemented OpenGL Drivers.   This is really mentionable as far as embedded devices are concerned since battery life vs slight performance increases become increasingly important.

Thanks for the info.

melf

Quote from: StefanZ on 2011.07.11, 23:20:09
...whatever happened to GL/2?  :'(

Well, Demetrious made updates as late as the first of june in fact, http://svn.netlabs.org/gl2/timeline .
/Mikael

Paul Smedley

Hi Guys,

Quote from: Robert Deed on 2011.07.11, 21:33:00
Quote from: aschn on 2011.07.11, 21:23:49

Sure: It seems to me as then someone has to port Azure first. I fear that trends like that will be responsible for an early dead.

I am willing to bet that Azure will have a cario compatable fallback mode, after all even in the Linux/Windows worlds (especially embedded)  devices may have substandard or poorly implemented OpenGL Drivers.   This is really mentionable as far as embedded devices are concerned since battery life vs slight performance increases become increasingly important.   I however would love to see some tweaking to the OS/2 version of firefox to improve screen rendering performance,  though I fear that comes down to needing updated accelerated video drivers for our display adapters.  There is only so much you can do without proper hardware support.   I know the authors of panorama would like to argue that, but real world usage cannot be disputed.

Robert is correct - see http://blog.mozilla.com/joe/2011/04/26/introducing-the-azure-project/

in part it states "Cairo is our failsafe implementation. It's the backend we'll use before others are ready or when we explicitly choose not to use hardware acceleration, for example because of driver issues. We also need Cairo for printing support."