• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Virtual Box port bounty

Started by kim, 2007.09.29, 19:30:43

Previous topic - Next topic

magog

Quote from: MrJinx on 2007.11.04, 00:00:59
After installing the Guest addins, Any attempt to change the resolution other than color depth, causes the vbox session to exit. Looking at the VBOXBFE log file. It looks like the call to resize fails.

Log created: 2007-11-03T08:51:00.148000000Z
Executable: C:\PROGRAMS\VBOX\VBOXBFE.EXE

!!Assertion Failed!!
Expression: f
Location  : U:/dev/virtualbox/vbox/src/VBox/Frontends/VBoxBFE/DisplayImpl.cpp(133) int VMDisplay::handleDisplayResize(int, int)

Could also be a problem with the coordinate system. Wasn't the one used by OS/2 (lower left) not different from Win (upper left)?
Regards,
Juergen
*** Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de/

Andi710

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2007.11.03, 03:33:02
Or I could have ballsed up and missed a couple of subdirectories when packaging the build (Thanks Trevor!).

Please try http://download.smedley.info/virtualbox-svn-20071103-os2.zip

Hi Paul,
this one looks promising here. The GUI starts and picks up the ISO of Ubuntu 7.10 and of eCS 2.0 RC3. However, the big stumbling stone for me is that my keyboard is not recognized. The keyboard is grabbed (ie no input possible into other apps, until I hit Ctrl+Esc), but none of the keys I press make it into the VM.

The host key doesn't do anything here as well, the mouse seems to have some effect - at least in the eCS install I could move the selection in the primary menu with it.

Any ideas where to look to get the keyboard working?

Cheers
Andreas

PS.: This is on a dual Opteron 244 workstation with a stone age normal 102 key keyboard (not USB).

myrkraverk

I am also getting no kbd events to the guest os (FreeDOS) and have ended up killing VirtualBox.

I created the disk image and virtual machine with the gui.  If there is anything I can do to help out find why there are no events, just let me know.

Johann

Andi710

Quote from: Andi710 on 2007.11.06, 06:13:56

this one looks promising here. The GUI starts and picks up the ISO of Ubuntu 7.10 and of eCS 2.0 RC3. However, the big stumbling stone for me is that my keyboard is not recognized. The keyboard is grabbed (ie no input possible into other apps, until I hit Ctrl+Esc), but none of the keys I press make it into the VM.

OK, I used VboxBFE  with the appropriate commanline switches now and get most of my keys recognized (not the arrow keys fro some reason and also the Enter key (the grey one in the numerical block) doesn't work. But it's usable overall and I'm installing Ubuntu 7.10 right now :o))

Thanks for all the hard work! I will report how it is going now.
Andreas

cytan

Quote from: Andi710 on 2007.11.07, 06:56:39
Quote from: Andi710 on 2007.11.06, 06:13:56

OK, I used VboxBFE  with the appropriate commanline switches now and get most of my keys recognized (not the arrow keys fro some reason and also the Enter key (the grey one in the numerical block) doesn't work. But it's usable overall and I'm installing Ubuntu 7.10 right now :o))

Thanks for all the hard work! I will report how it is going now.
Andreas

Great to hear that there's progress with Virtual Box! It'll be great when you report how all of it is going to give us a hands on procedure to get it installed (i.e. switches etc., creating images etc).

Thanks!

cytan

Andi710

Quote from: Andi710 on 2007.11.07, 06:56:39

OK. Now I got Ubuntu 7.10 installed and running pretty well. I installed using the i386 ISO file with

VBoxBFE.exe -m 256 -rawr0 -boot d -hda G:\VDD\vbox\VDI\Ubuntu.vdi -cdrom F:\Download\LinuX\ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso

Now I created a little program object and can run Ubuntu with

VBoxBFE.exe -m 256 -rawr0 -boot c -hda G:\VDD\vbox\VDI\Ubuntu.vdi

Overall performance is great. It boots in 64sec to the login screen and is fully usable after another 30 seconds. OpenOffice.org Writer (version 2.3) loads a new document in 32 seconds (version 2.0.4 needs 19sec in eCS 1.2R).

Some limitations so far:
1. Whenever I shut ubuntu down, I get a message saying: "Error: VM terminated abnormally!" (but it starts nicely the next time, remembering all the setting changes, so I think it's no big deal)
2. No network, no CD-ROM access (just ISO files)
3. The window switches to 1280x1024 whenever the Ubuntu boots, shuts down or presents the login screen (which is kind of annoying on a Screen that is just that size. Once the system is up, it sticks to the 1024x768 I set it to.

Things I didn't figure out so far
1. How do I enable / access the shared folder?
2. Where are the additions for OS/2 (where do I download them from?) And how do I use it in VboxBFE?
3. How to hug Paul for this port ;o)

BTW, VBox runs on this dual Opteron machine in SMP mode, something that VPC never did (I needed to switch the machine to uni-processor to use it...)

Thanks a lot to all people involved. Looking forward to the next steps!
Andreas

Andi710

Now I have WinXP SP2 as well. No network though and no shared folders - so it's a little less useful ;o)

See a screenshot at http://andreas-ludwig.info/index.php?page=system-info

To create ISO files, use isocomp from the xcomp package at hobbes - way easier than mkisofs (at least for me ;o). Boot time for Windows XP is impressive (nder 20sec) to the login screen.

Now the ingenious creators just have to get network going...

Cheers
Andreas

Andi710

One more observation: Mouse double click doesn't work very well. You need to click 4 times fast after each other to have a double click in ubuntu. (Played with setting for double click speed in the ubuntu guest, but no change)

Andi710

And another thing:

VBox does not run twice simultaneously. Whenever I try to start the second instance of VBox/2 I get:

VirtualBox Simple SDL GUI built Oct 28 2007 16:53:31
Failed to load VMMR0.r0!
VBox status code: -2 (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER)
Error: VM creation failed with VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER.

I wonder if this situation can be changed by assigning each instance of VBox/2 to another CPU - after all the guest in VBox sees only one of my two opterons ;o)

This might be a general limitation - I just downloaded the windows version to check it out on my laptop.

Michaelhz

Hi Paul,

just wondering about your code changes. Do you have any changes for vbox/vbox/src/libs/ to compile xerces and xalan?

BR
Michael

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Michaelhz on 2007.11.12, 22:12:38
Hi Paul,

just wondering about your code changes. Do you have any changes for vbox/vbox/src/libs/ to compile xerces and xalan?

I didn't make code changes for xerces and xalan - I just did what the innotek build instructions page said...

Michaelhz

ups...

didn't notice the change of build-instructions. thanks for the hint.

Michael

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Michaelhz on 2007.11.13, 16:15:46
ups...

didn't notice the change of build-instructions. thanks for the hint.

No problem - I did post to comp.os.os2.apps my rough build instructions which did deviate slightly from the outline at Innotek.

Cheers,

Paul.

rbri

Finally i got Win2000 running with more or less the same setup as Andi.
But instead of  VBOXBFE i'm using VBoxSDL. This works better here especially the mouse/keyboard capturing works.

Quote from: Andi710 on 2007.11.12, 10:30:34
One more observation: Mouse double click doesn't work very well. You need to click 4 times fast after each other to have a double click in ubuntu. (Played with setting for double click speed in the ubuntu guest, but no change)

The same symptom here.

I like to suggest to setup some kind of wiki page somewhere to write down some howto's to help other people to start with vbox. For me Andi's description was a great help.

Any success with shared folders or network?

Paul thanks a lot for your great work.

kim

Wiki resources exist here at OS2 World for those who wants to set up any kind of content; please check the wiki section that I know Martin Iturbide is working with.