• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Can't empty trash can

Started by marcbryant, 2012.01.09, 03:24:52

Previous topic - Next topic

marcbryant

After cleaning up my computer after a hard drive upgrade I find I can't empty the trash.  System hangs and cpu shoots to 100%.  I think the offending file is an old directory of Firefox (Home).  Is there another way to empty the trash?

WarpWorld

Huh,
I just see two ways, to install that system on other partition if you have it and from that to delete files from first one, or to use Live system which can recognize that file format of partition. That's system bug.

marcbryant

Can I just shred the trash can?  I really don't care if I have it.

RobertM

You may be able to delete what's in the trash can using "Black Hole" - I think it's floating around Hobbes someplace.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi

If you have xWorkplace installed the you can uncheck the Trashcan in xWorkplace Setup, Features tab, File operations and, I think, that will remove the Trashcan after a Desktop Restart.

Not sure where or if that setting exists in the eCS cutdown version of xWorkplace though... never install it here preferring to install the full xWorkplace when eCS Install has finished.

As I never use the Trashcan myself I do not know if it is possible to select individual files/directories for deletion from the Trashcan? If it is possible you may want to give it a try - at least you would then know for sure what does not want to be deleted and may be able to figure out why.

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Pete jogged a memory... check on what the variable pertaining to the amount of space it can use is set at. I forget the darn variable name - it should be in the config.sys file as well as elsewhere (via a notebook setting). Make sure it is set to GREATER than what is currently in the trash can. The re-installation may have changed that.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

marcbryant

I couldn't find any reference in the config file.  Did find a setting in the note book tab to not use the trash can which I checked.  You can delete individual files in the trash can.  Problem is you can't delete any file that the system is determining the size of.That's where it hangs.  Black Hole.  That's what I remember now. Thanks, I'll look for it.

RobertM

Quote from: marcbryant on 2012.01.10, 03:01:02
I couldn't find any reference in the config file.  Did find a setting in the note book tab to not use the trash can which I checked.  You can delete individual files in the trash can.  Problem is you can't delete any file that the system is determining the size of.That's where it hangs.  Black Hole.  That's what I remember now. Thanks, I'll look for it.

I think the config.sys setting is DELDIR. I don't use the trashcan though, so that memory is from ages ago when I accidentally installed it.

-R

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

abwillis

Quote from: RobertM on 2012.01.10, 04:31:50
Quote from: marcbryant on 2012.01.10, 03:01:02

I think the config.sys setting is DELDIR. I don't use the trashcan though, so that memory is from ages ago when I accidentally installed it.

-R
Deldir is different than the trashcan.  I am not aware of a config.sys setting for the trashcan...
Andy

aschn

Quote from: abwillis on 2012.01.10, 05:21:23
Deldir is different than the trashcan.  I am not aware of a config.sys setting for the trashcan...

That's right. The trash can uses own directories named 'Trash' in the root of an activated
drive. It will be recreated after deletion.

One problem with the XWP trash can is that it doesn't allow to delete read-only file objects.
Another one is that it keeps object ids of deleted objects instead of renaming them on
deletion and restoring them on restore. When problems arise in these cases, it's time to
remove one or all trashed objects manually.

If one decides to remove only single file objects, it's important to know that every file object
is placed in a hidden subdir of Trash and that there exists a @mapping file in the Trash dir
that refers to the dirs of the moved (trashed) file objects.

Andreas

WarpWorld

Try to reinstall eCS Desktop partially from eCS CD and after that try to empty trash again.I forgot for that solution.

abwillis

Quote from: WarpWorld on 2012.01.10, 20:00:53
Try to reinstall eCS Desktop partially from eCS CD and after that try to empty trash again.I forgot for that solution.
Before I did that... I would boot to command prompt via Alt-F1 boot and delete the trash directory that Andreas mentioned.