• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

VPC for OS/2 Sound question for windows

Started by marcbryant, 2012.01.11, 02:12:05

Previous topic - Next topic

marcbryant

I upgraded to ECS 2.1 and got the OS/2 sound to finally work.  Now under VPC Windoze sounds do not work.  I have in the parameters box /tweak.  Is this right? Any other ideas?

Thanks

RobertM

More detailed instructions can be found here:
http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0503H/vnewsf4.htm

Scroll to the "Sound" section near the bottom of the page.

You will find this to be the final, and very important step:
Quote"On the next restart of VPC, your guest should have sound, if a SB16 sound driver in installed on your guest operating system. For Win9x, 2000 or XP, autodetection can be used to find the virtual SB16 card and install the driver."

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

abwillis

One other issue, the current uniaud32.sys does not work with VPC on some chipsets (works fine on my T42 but not on the newer Z61M).  I found the cause of the issue and uploaded a build with a workaround to netlabs sometime back.  I say workaround as I just commented out some newer code that we don't really know what it is doing yet.  It seems to cause some issues with Z! where the sound will get "stuck" and I have to pause it and restart it quite frequently.  I have seen the same thing happen in VPC though infrequently.  David is going to look into a true fix once he has time.

Sigurd

Hi,

do you have a Link for this patched files? At netlabs.org I can not find it, "Downloads" say: "Failed to change directory". Thanks!

Pete

Hi marcbryant

It sounds as though you have previously had sound in VPC.

If that is correct use the uniaud drivers used at that time to replace the drivers supplied with ecS2.1 - exactly what I have had to do  :-)

Regards

Pete

DougB

QuoteIt seems to cause some issues with Z! where the sound will get "stuck" and I have to pause it and restart it quite frequently.

PM123 also has issues with the "patched" version of UniAud (uniaud32-19226-vpc.zip). It starts playing okay, but within a minute it stops playing, and just sounds like the 60 cycle hum that you used to hear on old radios. That is when using it to play stuff from VPC (yes, that does work, for a shot period), or without VPC. I use the latest "official" version of UniAud (from UniaudUpdate195-1926.zip), with good success, but it won't play sounds from VPC.

Note also, that it is essential to use mmfix.exe (supplied with eCS 2.1, I don't remember if 2.0 had it or not) to fix problems like looping sounds at startup. It should be installed with eCS 2.1, but you need to find it, and install it, with earlier versions of eCS.

Also note that it is highly recommended to avoid using the older UniAud versions, unless nothing else will work. It seems that Pete has one of the very few systems where that is true (perhaps the only system).

marcbryant

Looks like I will have to go back to the drivers that came with 1.2.  The on board sound system did not work with the 1.2 drivers so I turned it off and plugged in an old SB card and got sound both in windose and OS/2. Looks like that's what I will have to do again.  The 2.1 drivers work with the on board sound system but not VPC.
Thanks for refreshing me on turning on the sound on VPC.  Been a long time since I had to do that.  Memory is going. Wrote it down in the book that came with VPC.

marcbryant

I re-install the 1.2 sound drivers and everything works great now. (Almost).  Have 2 more questions and then I'll go back into lurking.
1. Ever since the 2.1 upgrade my cd rom runs real slow.  Have to keep clicking on the icom and finally a window opens.  I chose "legacy" during the install. The drive is an IDE and the motherboard is 6 years old. If i put a boot disk in it runs fine so it's not the CD rom.  I do have SATA connections on the board.  Would installing a SATA CD drive solve the problem?
2. Have a 36 gb memory stick that I can't read nor write to.  What's the solution?  I have a 2 gb and it works fine.

Again, thanks for all the help,

Marc

Pete

Hi marcbryant

With regard to the cdrom speed I can only suggest that you post your config.sys in the hope that someone will spot something wrong - and, No, you do not need to install a SATA CD/DVD drive unless you want to as it seems the current drive works.

You need to create a Volume for the 36Gb memory stick - you may want to read the USB Storage FAQ which is included in the FAQs supplied with USBcfg and is accessible from the USBcfg Help. Alternatively you can read it online http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_2.html

Regards

Pete

ivan

Hi marcbryant,

Is your CD drive the only item on the IDE channel or does it share with something else?  If it is the only unit, is it set as master?  Do you have RSJ installed and have you opened the doorway in the Daniatapi driver to allow co-existence?

Other than those points I can't think of any reason why it should be doing what it is.

ivan

marcbryant

The cd is set to master since I run scsi drives.  Have RSJ disabled.  Thing just won't spool up to speed. Got me baffled.

abwillis

Quote from: Sigurd on 2012.01.11, 08:25:33
Hi,
do you have a Link for this patched files? At netlabs.org I can not find it, "Downloads" say: "Failed to change directory". Thanks!

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/uniaud32-19226-vpc.zip

ivan

Quote from: marcbryant on 2012.01.12, 02:17:47
The cd is set to master since I run scsi drives.  Have RSJ disabled.  Thing just won't spool up to speed. Got me baffled.
It looks as if you need to post your config.sys as it appears that something is blocking ready access to the CD drive that is unless it is on its last legs, but then you say you can boot from it.  I would go for a driver conflict.

ivan

marcbryant

Like I said. Drive acts normal til it boots to the WPS.  Drive is near new. I know it's not the drive and don't see any problems with the config.sys file. But here it is.  Maybe I missed something.

REM [ Device Drivers ]
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\UNICODE.SYS
IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:*
IFS=C:\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:4 /AUTOCHECK:*
IFS=C:\ECS\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /H /Q /EAS
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\LANPDD.OS2
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\LANVDD.OS2
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\UDF.IFS /Q
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\CDFS.IFS /Q /W
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\OS2CDROM.DMD /Q
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VCDROM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\LANMSGDD.OS2 /I:C:\IBMCOM /S
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTMAN.OS2 /I:C:\IBMCOM
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\TESTCFG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\DOS.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\PMDD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VEMM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VXMS.SYS /UMB
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VDPMI.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VDPX.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VWIN.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VW32S.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\APM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VAPM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VMOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\POINTDD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VCOM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\SOCKETSK.SYS
DEVICE=C:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFOS2.SYS
DEVICE=C:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFINETK.SYS
DEVICE=C:\MPTN\BIN\VDOSTCP.VDD
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\TCPBEUI.OS2
DEVICE=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\RDRHELP.200
IFS=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\NETWKSTA.200 /I:C:\IBMLAN /N
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NETBIOS.OS2
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\MACS\E100B.OS2
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\GRADD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VMANWIN.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS /Q
DEVICE=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\VNETAPI.OS2
DEVICE=C:\TCPIP\bin\vdostcp.sys
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\ssmdd.sys /S:64 /P:64 /H:256 /Q:1024 /E:1024
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\r0stub.sys
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\MMPLAYER\midi.sys
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\vcshdd.sys
IFS=C:\ECS\BOOT\EVFS.IFS
DEVICE=C:\ecs\boot\USBRESMG.SYS

REM [ Base Device Drivers ]
BASEDEV=BOOTDLY.SYS
BASEDEV=IBMKBD.SYS
BASEDEV=TIMER0.SYS
BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS
BASEDEV=CHKDSK.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=CADH.SYS
BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /!BIOS
BASEDEV=SYM_HI.ADD
BASEDEV=AIC7870.ADD
BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD
REM  BASEDEV=IBM2FLPY.ADD
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:1
BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT
BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD
BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD
BASEDEV=OS2SCSI.DMD

REM [ Paths ]
LIBPATH=.;E:\programs\CDWFS;C:\IBMLAN\NETLIB;C:\MUGLIB\DLL;C:\ECS\DLL;C:\EMX\DLL;C:\OS2\DLL;C:\MPTN\DLL;C:\TCPIP\DLL;C:\IBMCOM\DLL;C:\IBMGSK50\LIB;C:\IBMGSK40\LIB;C:\IBMGSK\LIB;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\;C:\OS2\APPS\DLL;C:\MMOS2\DLL;C:\MMOS2\FREEDB;E:\PROGRAMS\4OS2;C:\PROMPT;g:\BA2KWS;C:\ODIN\SYSTEM32
SET PATH=C:\MPTN\BIN;C:\TCPIP\BIN;C:\IBMCOM;C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\MUGLIB;C:\ECS\BIN;C:\EMX\BIN;C:\IBMGSK50\BIN;C:\IBMGSK40\BIN;C:\IBMGSK\BIN;C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM;C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2;C:\OS2\INSTALL;C:\;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\OS2\APPS;C:\ECS\KLIBC\BIN;E:\PROGRAMS\JAVA142\BIN;C:\MMOS2\FREEDB;C:\MMOS2;C:\MMOS2\MMPLAYER;E:\PROGRAMS\4OS2;g:\BA2KWS;E:\programs\CDWFS;C:\ODIN\SYSTEM32
SET DPATH=C:\MPTN;C:\IBMCOM;C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\IBMLAN;C:\MUGLIB;C:\ECS\LANG;C:\IBMCOM\MACS;C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM;C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2;C:\OS2\INSTALL;C:\;C:\OS2\BITMAP;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\OS2\APPS;C:\MMOS2;C:\MMOS2\INSTALL;E:\PROGRAMS\4OS2;
SET HELP=C:\MPTN;C:\MPTN\HELP;C:\ecs\help;C:\OS2\HELP;C:\ecs\system\ewps\help;C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\TCPIP\HELP;C:\MMOS2\HELP;E:\PROGRAMS\4OS2;E:\programs\CDWFS;
SET ULSPATH=C:\LANGUAGE
SET BOOKSHELF=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\OS2\BOOK;C:\ecs\book;C:\EMX\BOOK;C:\TCPIP\HELP;C:\MMOS2;E:\PROGRAMS\4OS2;
SET EPMPATH=C:\OS2\APPS;
SET NLSPATH=C:\MPTN\MSG\NLS\%N;C:\TCPIP\msg\ENUS850\%N;
SET MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=e:\PROGRAMS\MOZ_PLUG
SET LIBC_HOOK_DLLS=C:\OS2\DLL\klibccfg.dll@_kLIBCInitPath!pathrewrite
SET DMIPATH=C:\DMISL\BIN
SET CLASSPATH=C:\os2\javaapps\lvmgui.zip;C:\TCPIP\java;
SET NWDBPATH=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG
SET DSPPATH=C:\MMOS2\DSP;

REM [ Device Information ]
DEVINFO=KBD,US103,C:\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP
DEVINFO=SCR,VGA,C:\OS2\BOOT\VIOTBL.DCP

REM [ Kernel Directives ]
AUTOFAIL=YES
BREAK=OFF
BUFFERS=90
CLOCKSCALE=4
CODEPAGE=850,437
COUNTRY=001,C:\OS2\SYSTEM\COUNTRY.SYS
DISKCACHE=1024,LW,32
DOS=LOW,NOUMB
FCBS=16,8
FILES=64
IOPL=YES
MAXWAIT=1
MEMMAN=SWAP,PROTECT
PRINTMONBUFSIZE=134,134,134
PRIORITY_DISK_IO=YES
PROTECTONLY=NO
PROTSHELL=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
RESERVEDRIVELETTER=R
RMSIZE=640
SHELL=C:\OS2\MDOS\COMMAND.COM C:\OS2\MDOS
SUPPRESSPOPUPS=C
SWAPPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM 2048 2048
THREADS=1024
VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=1536

REM [ Environment Variables ]
SET AUTOSTART=PROGRAMS,TASKLIST,FOLDERS
SET C1=SDDGRADD
SET COMSPEC=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE
REM SET DELDIR=C:\DELETE,512;D:\DELETE,512;E:\DELETE,512;F:\DELETE,512;G:\DELETE,512;S:\DELETE,512;T:\DELETE,512;Z:\DELETE,512;
SET DEVICEFONTDISABLED=NO
SET DIRCMD=/V
SET DISPLAYTYPE=VGA
SET DLSINI=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\NETGUI.INI
SET ENH_STRETCH=NO
SET ENH_SUSPEND=2
SET ETC=C:\MPTN\ETC
SET GLOSSARY=C:\OS2\HELP\GLOSS;
SET GRADD_CHAINS=C1
SET GREEXT=SDDGREXT
SET HOME=e:\HOME\DEFAULT
SET HOSTNAME=ECS22275512
SET IKEYMAN40_HOME=C:\IBMGSK40
SET IKEYMAN50_HOME=C:\IBMGSK50
SET IKEYMAN_HOME=C:\IBMGSK
SET INIT_FILE_NAMES=netgui
SET INIT_FILE_RANGES=200
SET IPF_KEYS=SBCS
SET JAVA_HIGH_MEMORY=1
SET JAVA_HOME=E:\PROGRAMS\JAVA142
SET KEYS=ON
SET LANG=en_US
SET LANINSTEP=S:\cid\server\IBMLS
SET LOGFILES=C:\var\log
SET MMBASE=C:\MMOS2;
SET MMSTREAM=/S:64 /P:64 /H:256 /Q:1024 /E:1024
SET MMYIELD=10
SET MOZILLA_HOME=e:\HOME\DEFAULT
SET NCDEBUG=4000
SET NOLARGENTEXEICON=1
SET NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER=1
SET OS2_SHELL=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE
SET OS=ecs
SET OSDIR=C:\ecs
SET PROGRAMS=e:\PROGRAMS
SET PROMPT=[$p]
SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY,REBOOTONLY
SET RUNWORKPLACE=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
SET SCCANBENUKED=ON
SET SCKILLFEATUREENABLED=ON
SET SHELLHANDLESINC=20
SET SMB_EXE=C:\ECS\SYSTEM\Samba
SET SOMDDIR=C:\OS2\ETC\DSOM
SET SOMIR=C:\OS2\ETC\SOM.IR;C:\OS2\ETC\WPSH.IR;C:\OS2\ETC\WPDSERV.IR;C:\OS2\ETC\REXX.IR;
SET SYSTEM_INI=C:\OS2\OS2SYS.INI
SET TCPLANG=en_US
SET TZ=EST5EDT,3,2,0,7200,11,1,0,7200,3600
SET UNZIPOPT=-C
SET USER=ECS_USER
SET USER_INI=C:\OS2\OS2.INI
SET USE_HOSTS_FIRST=1
SET VCFG_NO_DDC=TRUE
SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_SVGA
SET VIO_SVGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA,BVHSVGA)
SET WPS_COMMUNICATION=YES

REM [ Executables ]
CALL=C:\ECS\BIN\CACHEF32.EXE /S /F
RUN=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\LVMALERT.EXE
RUN=C:\OS2\EXTENDFS.EXE *
RUN=C:\OS2\APMDAEMN.EXE
CALL=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NETBIND.EXE
RUN=C:\IBMCOM\LANMSGEX.EXE
REM CALL=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE /Q /C C:\MPTN\BIN\MPTSTART.CMD >NUL
RUN=C:\MPTN\BIN\CNTRL.EXE
CALL=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE /Q /C C:\MPTN\BIN\MPTSTART.CMD >NUL
RUN=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NBTCP.EXE
RUN=C:\MPTN\BIN\VDOSCTL.EXE
RUN=C:\OS2\SMSTART.EXE
RUN=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\LSDAEMON.EXE
RUN=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\VNRMINIT.EXE
RUN=C:\MMOS2\mmfix.exe
RUN=C:\MMOS2\mididmon.exe
RUN=C:\MMOS2\mmhelpdd.exe
RUN=C:\MMOS2\qrymmcd.exe
RUN=C:\ECS\BIN\EVFSCTL.EXE

REM [ Temporary Directories ]
SET TMP=C:\var\temp
SET TEMP=C:\var\temp
SET TMPDIR=C:\var\temp
DEVICE=F:\VirtualPC\vpcapp.sys

REM *** RSJ CD-Writer File System ***
rem BASEDEV=OS2ASPI.DMD
rem BASEDEV=RSJIDECD.FLT
rem BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT
rem DEVICE=E:\programs\CDWFS\RSJSCSI.SYS
rem IFS=E:\programs\CDWFS\CDWFS.IFS
rem RUN=E:\programs\CDWFS\CDWFSD.EXE -p "C:/var/temp" -c20000 -b2048 -t2 -i3 -s0

REM *** MMOS/2 ***
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\UNIAUD32.SYS /V
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\UNIAUD16.SYS /V /C

DougB

I don't see anything that jumps out at me, but i will make a few suggestions:

BASEDEV=BOOTDLY.SYS
should follow the SCSI driver:
BASEDEV=AIC7870.ADD
Note that the default delay is 20 seconds. That can probably be, safely, reduced to about 5 seconds by adding /D:5 as a parameter. The delay is there to give the driver time to initialize, on fast machines.

For FAT32:
IFS=C:\ECS\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /H /Q /EAS
CALL=C:\ECS\BIN\CACHEF32.EXE /S /F
I suggest removing the /EAS parameter. That also removes support for extended attributes, but they are rarely needed, and it will reduce the number of compatibility problems that you will encounter. I also suggest REMing the CACHEF32.EXE line. FAT32 works MUCH better (and even faster) when you don't use the cache.

Make sure that all of your *PATH* lines are ended with a semi-colon (;). This is just a "nice thing to do", but it is consistent with what eCS seems to insist on.

If you don't have a USB floppy drive, change:
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:1
to:
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:0

Since you are planning to use a virtual machine, it may help to change:
IOPL=YES
to:
IOPL=NO
That will give the background processes (your real system) better access to the disk when you are running the virtual machine.

I suggest REMing the line:
RUN=C:\OS2\SMSTART.EXE
That program is only useful to administrators of large networks (if they are dumb enough to try to use it). It simply causes problems for the rest of us.

I think you have looked at this, but read the Danis506 docs for a better way to handle the RSJ setup.

Last, you may want to try my LCSS (Logical Config.Sys Sort) program. It is at HOBBES. What it does, is sort your CONFIG.SYS so that it is easier for a human to read it. The machine has no trouble sorting it out for itself in either format. Be sure to read the instructions, especially about comment lines.

As I said, I don't think there is anything there that will affect your CD drive, but none of it should hurt.