• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Error when opening OpenOffice 3.2

Started by djcaetano, 2012.01.18, 03:55:40

Previous topic - Next topic

djcaetano

Hi All,

Some weeks ago I formatted my System and installed eCS 2.1. One of the first things I installed was OpenOffice 3.2 from eCS 2.1 CD2... but I am not able to start any of OpenOffice applications. Whenever I double click one of the OO icons the following message box is displayed:

---
Unable to start OpenOffice.org!
Execution failed! Contact technical support.
Return code: 2
Failing module: SAL3
---

Anyone had this problem? Which technical support should I contact?

Regards,

DJC

melf

Hi djcaetano,
just browsed the net for a moment. sal3 is a dll >> sal3.dll. Is to be found in \OpenOffice.org.3\ure\bin\sal3.dll . Different persons (on different platforms) report sudden such errors. Can't so far find any "one and only solution", but some talks about corrupt installations and accidently lost paths or associations. But better check yorself, you might find something out there.

/Mikael

djcaetano

Hi Melf,

Quote from: melf on 2012.01.18, 09:37:04
just browsed the net for a moment. sal3 is a dll >> sal3.dll. Is to be found in \OpenOffice.org.3\ure\bin\sal3.dll . Different persons (on different platforms) report sudden such errors. Can't so far find any "one and only solution", but some talks about corrupt installations and accidently lost paths or associations. But better check yorself, you might find something out there.

I'll take a look. Anyway, I reinstalled and the problem continues. Uninstalled it and installed OO 3.1... same problem. :(

Regards,

DJC

Pete

Hi DJC

You should file a bug report on ecomstation as OO is their "baby" - ie they are paying for the port - at http://www.ecomstation.com/support/ooo2/

Regards

Pete

MrJinx

By any chance did you install the libc064 csd4 from netlabs or yum?
It hosed my OO until I restored version libc063 csd3.  In the new package, I have several issues going on with older applications that don't like the dll forwarder function in the libc064 package but many recent applications have to have the new version.

This subject alone deserves a thread to alert folks that some applications may be acting up or don't work at all without libstrictpath and scripting tricks to keep libc063 csd3 and csd4 versions separated.

If that gets your OO install working let me know. It worked for me.

abwillis

Quote from: MrJinx on 2012.01.19, 05:42:42
By any chance did you install the libc064 csd4 from netlabs or yum?
It hosed my OO until I restored version libc063 csd3.  In the new package, I have several issues going on with older applications that don't like the dll forwarder function in the libc064 package but many recent applications have to have the new version.

This subject alone deserves a thread to alert folks that some applications may be acting up or don't work at all without libstrictpath and scripting tricks to keep libc063 csd3 and csd4 versions separated.

If that gets your OO install working let me know. It worked for me.
Interesting... libc064 works fine with OO 3.2 fine here.

jep

Hello,

Had exaclty the same problem...
I placed the HOME and the Programs folders on D: but OpenOffice didn't start after I tried to install it to D:\Programs.

Solution:
Install it to C:

e.g. C:\Programs\OpenOffice... that is.

//Jan-Erik

DougB

QuoteSolution:
Install it to C:

That is obviously not necessary. My boot drives are C: and M:. OOo 3.2 is installed on W:, along with the %HOME% directory, and it works with no trouble (other than the lack of JAVA, which is another issue).

I have no idea what the actual problem might be, but it isn't that it needs to be installed to C:, or even in %PROGRAMS%.

Pete

Hi All

It does not matter where I install OO310/320 as attempting to use it often results in a crash.

Maybe 3.3.0 will work... and maybe I'm just being hopeful  :-(

Regards

Pete

djcaetano

Quote from: jep on 2012.01.20, 12:58:01
I placed the HOME and the Programs folders on D: but OpenOffice didn't start after I tried to install it to D:\Programs.
Solution:
Install it to C:
//Jan-Erik

Thanks Jan. Installing to C: did the trick.
  Weird.

ydario

Quote from: djcaetano on 2012.01.24, 01:09:45
Quote from: jep on 2012.01.20, 12:58:01
Solution:
Install it to C:
//Jan-Erik

Thanks Jan. Installing to C: did the trick.
  Weird.

really weird, OOo installation does not depend on drive, I'm pretty sure ;-)

Which path did you use on  on D: ? file system?

djcaetano

Quote from: ydario on 2012.02.27, 18:41:43
really weird, OOo installation does not depend on drive, I'm pretty sure ;-)
Which path did you use on  on D: ? file system?

Hi Yuri,

Path was: D:\PROGRAMS\OO

Regards!

ydario

Quote from: djcaetano on 2012.02.27, 20:42:04
  Path was: D:\PROGRAMS\OO

works for me in that location... and I don't see why it can't work either.
error 2 means that it cannot locate D:\PROGRAMS\OO\ure\bin\sal3.dll; are you sure this file is in the correct place?

you don't need to reinstall, just copy all files to d:\programs\oo

jep

Quote from: ydario on 2012.03.01, 19:51:22
works for me in that location... and I don't see why it can't work either.
error 2 means that it cannot locate D:\PROGRAMS\OO\ure\bin\sal3.dll; are you sure this file is in the correct place?

you don't need to reinstall, just copy all files to d:\programs\oo

for me it was "C:\Programs\OpenOffice" (note that I edited the last part to leave out the default for a more generic name)
Yes, I tried to deinstall, reinstall, fresh install, install...
before I deisntalled it and installed to C:\PROGRAMS\OpenOffice

//Jan-Erik