• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SAMBA for eCS... Need method for complete removal from eCS PC.

Started by NNYITGuy, 2012.01.20, 14:18:03

Previous topic - Next topic

NNYITGuy

Hello All,

I have an eCS test PC that I have used for simple testing with SAMBA over the last several years. I am now ready to try the current releases of SERVER and CLIENT. I would like to have a completely clean slate before I start. What is my path forward for ensuring that I have a totally clean eCS PC before I try SAMBA again?

TIA,
Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

herwigb

If you uninstall the WPI packages, a utility is executed that prompts you, whether you want to do exactly that.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

RobertM

Quote from: herwigb on 2012.05.04, 16:02:43
If you uninstall the WPI packages, a utility is executed that prompts you, whether you want to do exactly that.

Todd,

If the WarpIn database is intact and up to date, you can do so by simply launching WarpIn itself, and looking for the particular package you wish to uninstall. From there, you can simply execute the uninstall option. If the WarpIn database is not up to date or is damaged, you can either (a) look for the particular install/uninstall component of the package or (b) re-install the exact same package, then uninstall it using the first method.

Best,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

NNYITGuy

Thank you Robert and Herwig for your responses. I have been very shy about using SAMBA server. I had problems way back when with original configuration scripts. I have a different directory tree structure that I always had adhered to that may have been some of my difficulty. I also had problems with the daemons staying up and operational. I had to implement MS based servers and not eCS.

I know that SAMBA is well recognized today in the computing world. I had followed religously the SAMBA/Microsoft development forums and watched the Microsoft participation. I need an eCS alternative to small Microsoft based file sharing servers. Many of my small business clients have vertically integrated application suites that use file / record locking with ISAM & dBase database technologies and others. I am not talking about an occasional record lookup. I am talking about steady record lookup and record locking by up to 12 connected computers continuously.

I want to use our implementation of SAMBA. Can I get some real world implementation scenarios that work and work well? is there a recommended stress test toolset that we can certify a SAMBA installation with?

Thank you,
-Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

DougB

I feel compelled to discuss SAMBA for eCS. The latest server implementations seem to work pretty good, but trying to use it with EVFS as the client is very flaky. I can use WinXP, or Win7, as the client (I can't get Win98 to work with it), for hours, and with larger file transfers, with little trouble. When I try to use it with EVFS, I am lucky if I can get to the point where I can transfer a file, before it hangs, or has some other weird problem. One of the main problems seems to be that transferring the directory information is extremely slow (5 to 10 KB/S, according to the IP Monitor widget), and it tends to just stop for minutes at a time (often, never starting again). The system also locks out everything else while it attempts to get a file directory, and if you do try to do something else, the system almost always locks up, requiring a reboot. Once the actual file transfer starts, it seems to go at a reasonable speed, but it almost stops between files. This is very frustrating when trying to transfer a lot of small files. It is often faster to copy the files to a USB stick, and copy them to the client that way.

I have got to the point where I am planning to quit using SAMBA, and replace it with RSync. It does make it a little more difficult to manage the data, but it works a LOT better.

The bottom line is, that the SAMBA server works fine. The eCS client (EVFS) doesn't work very well. I am not sure how that compares to the product from BSW, and I am not likely to spend any money to find out.

diver

there must be something really broken on your EFVS installation. I use the sambaclient daily and it transfers some GB every week on my backup. i never saw what you describe. and i'm sure we don't have a ticket for that.

DougB

Quotethere must be something really broken on your EFVS installation.

I would say that there is something very broken, but I am seeing exactly the same thing on 4 eCS 2.1 installs, and 4 eCS 2.0 installs. It is worse with older versions of the EVFS stuff. The really odd thing is, that every once in a long while, I do get a good session, with few problems, but most of the time, I have trouble. I may never have opened a ticket, but I thought I did, a few years ago. I keep trying the updates, but nothing ever changes.

If you have any suggestions, I would like to hear about them.

herwigb

Doug,

if reading the directory is slow, you likely have a version of the plugin that does not have caching  built in (earlier than plugin version 2.x).
Please also note that the latest EVFS (coming with eCS 2.1) has important fixes not found in prior EVFS versions (like the one in eCS 2.0).

It looks like you seem to have a "habit" when setting up Samba Client that introduces the problems you see - we are very interested to find out what und why, because as you are easily able to reproduce this on several machines, quite likely others will also be able to to so. Either you are "falling into" a bug we are not aware of or our documentation is bad or whatever, either way it should be resolved.

As Silvan indicated, we do not see this problem, and like Silvan I am transfering gigbytes of data every data over Samba Client and Server.

Please open a ticket and help us work it out - you got both our attention (diver and me) - let's get this fixed.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

DougB

Quoteif reading the directory is slow, you likely have a version of the plugin that does not have caching  built in (earlier than plugin version 2.x).

This is what I am using now, on all systems. AFAIK, it is all pretty current, and the combination seems to work best.
Samba Client Versions:
File system EVFS Version 1.002
Plugin file M:\ecs\dll\ndpsmb.dll
Plugin Vendor Netlabs.org
Plugin Revision 2.01.1.1
Plugin Date/Time 24 Jan 2012 15:52:45
Plugin Build Machine HerwigB
Plugin Language Code en
Plugin File Version 2.1
Plugin Description NDPSMB - SMBFS NetDrive External Plugin Build GA
Commandline utilities Version 3.3.16-eCS 1.1.1-675
EVFSGUIVersion 2.1.3 [2011-09-13]

I have tried almost everything that has been released for the client.

I **think** that the main problem is that I share whole drives. Small drives seem to work a LOT better than large drives. I have played with just sharing individual directories, but that does not really do what I want to be able to do.

QuoteIt looks like you seem to have a "habit" when setting up Samba Client that introduces the problems you see

I have exactly the same problems immediately after a new eCS 2.1 install, without changing anything. I find that it works better if I change the "cache timeout" to 420 seconds, and the "listings to cache" to "80" (max - it looks like 2000 might be better). Under Global settings, I use "Refresh network neighbourhood immediately", and "Use broadcasts instead of local master browser". Changing those doesn't seem to make any difference.

QuotePlease open a ticket and help us work it out - you got both our attention (diver and me) - let's get this fixed.

I will see if I can find some time to put it all together, later today. I am not at home, so it is more difficult to find the time, and the resources to get it done.

herwigb

These software components are ok. Just make sure there not a second ndpsmb.dll lurking somewhere. The algorithm to find the plugin is not water prove in EVFSGUI 2.1.x (it might show one plugin, while EVFS.IFS is using a different one (resolved in upcoming 2.5).

QuoteUnder Global settings, I use "Refresh network neighbourhood immediately", and "Use broadcasts instead of local master browser".
These only influece the network neighbourhood browser of EVFSGUI, nothing else.

QuoteI find that it works better if I change the "cache timeout" to 420 seconds, and the "listings to cache" to "80" (max - it looks like 2000 might be better)
That makes me think in a specific direction (without being sure yet), see link  to ticket below.

QuoteI **think** that the main problem is that I share whole drives.
I do the same, without seeing your problem, if there is a correlation, it is likely not a direct one.

Please read http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/ticket/178 - might name resolution be an issue in your network? If so, we should be able to see this in the logfiles and trying a current testbuild of EVFSGUI 2.5 with a proper setup should show a dramatic improvement...

However, this is just a guess, as you are using the same components as I am using, so I tend to think the problem is quite likely no direct Samba problem, but a side effect of some sort, name resolution only being one possible cause...

Kind regards,
HerwigB.

DougB

QuoteJust make sure there not a second ndpsmb.dll lurking somewhere.

The only other one is in the other boot system, that hasn't been updated yet. It should not be accessible in any way.

QuotePlease read http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/ticket/178 - might name resolution be an issue in your network?

Now that is interesting. I added a line
name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
to the smb.conf files, and the whole thing seems to be much better. I will need to do more testing with that. My setup should be using broadcast, and the order may explain why I have few problems when using windows, which probably adds lmhosts support. I put "host" second but none of my HOSTS files is set to do anything (other than localhost) because of the logistics of keeping them up to date.

Okay, so i tried windows XP as a client. It seems to be hung, then it had an error. The eCS SAMBA server had 5 SMBD instances running. After restarting the server, WinXP now "sees" it, but the logon doesn't work (that might have something to do with changes I made to allow Win98 to log on). Using the eCS client to log onto winXP works better than it did before too.

I will do more testing, when I have the opportunity. Thanks...

melf

Just a maybe stupid question. Which smb.conf file did you put that line in? I find my only smb.conf file in mptn\etc\samba and that file seems entirely related to Samba server. Do they use the same file? Should there be some part in that file dedicated to samba client or how does it work?

/Mikael

DougB

QuoteWhich smb.conf file did you put that line in?

\mptn\etc\samba\smb.conf

Apparently both the server, and the client, use the same file (possibly not a good thing). I did make a typo the first time I added the line, and the client complained about it, so it does use it.

FWIW, the performance is many times better than before. I still get some 5 to 10 second pauses when trying to populate the drive tree of a large drive, for the first time but, so far, no hangs.

Quotehow does it work?

If I knew that, I probably would have fixed the problem long ago. Perhaps herwigb can enlighten us.

herwigb

Both the server and client use the same smb.conf - until I found out about the name resolution issues, this was no problem at all. In the future this might change, however that has not been decided yet. Server and client use different directories for their .tdb files - that turned out to be a problem.

Doug, may I ask, why are you using broadcasts?

This is really a slow method (and not well tested by me, because technically it is a bad method and stone age old). Using WINS is much more effective and the Samba Server for eCS works very well in this respect. A short explanation: WINS = Specific DNS for SMB networks.

The upcoming EVFSGUI 2.5 will support setting up WINS also for our Samba Client http://msplins06.bon.at/~admin139/files/evfsgui_wins.jpg
In addition I added a reasonably good method to provide a dynamic LMHOSTS file for the client, that even outperforms a properly setup WINS server in the most relevant cases (but is slower in less relevant situations).

I will set up a complete test package later today.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

DougB

QuoteDoug, may I ask, why are you using broadcasts?

Some years ago, when I first tried SAMBA, I was having trouble, and somebody suggested using that, and it worked. I never tried changing it again.

QuoteA short explanation: WINS = Specific DNS for SMB networks.

I have never heard any mention of WINS, other than in a windows context. Since i rarely have a windows machine attached, and there was nothing to suggest that SAMBA supported it, I never even thought about it.

Okay, How does SAMBA handle being a WINS server? If I have machine A on, and running SAMBA server, then turn on machine B, I assume that machine A is still the WINS server machine. Now, what happens when I turn off machine A, turn on machine C, and attach to machine B?

The same question for LMHOSTS, and I suppose I also need to ask about HOST in the name resolve order line.

I think that some, or all, of this should be in the Wiki.