• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

VirtualBox problems <CTRL><SHFT>up/down keys, netbios, mouse pointer

Started by Andi, 2012.02.10, 17:34:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi

On eCS2.1 I've WinXP running as guest within VBOX and there are several issues -

1) <CTRL><SHFT> and up/down key from the arrow block do not work. <CTRL><SHFT> 8 or 2 with NumLock off works. But with keys from arrow block does not. up/down without <CTRL><SHFT> works as expected though. This is somewhat awkward cause my favourite editor does have <CTRL><SHFT> up/down bound to 'jump to next/previous error'
2) shared folders from the host are not fully populated. Lot of dirs are shown empty. Some dirs are not even shown but cd .... works or input name in address field changes to that dir. Opening files which are not shown but exist works too.
3) mouse pointer do not change f.i. when on window boarders. Resizing of windows work but is not that easy when mouse pointer do not change at the appropriate places.

Ideas, suggestions....

miturbide

Hi Andi

About the Mouse Pointer (#3).
I have here eCS 2.1 on Win7 x64 Virtualbox and the mouse pointer seems not to have that problem when resizing a window (check screenshot). Let me know if it is that what you mean.

I'm using "Device=....\vboxmouse.sys" which it is included on the additions.
QuoteVendor:          InnoTek
Revision:        5.01
Date/Time:       23 Jul 2007 14:50:34
Build Machine:
File Version:    5.1.370

(uhm.. I'm not sure if I saw the source code of this driver on the VirtualBox svn - https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Additions/)

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

melf

Andi, I share your problem number two and three also. In every installation I have made this has always been a problem. Number two is for me the most annoying. I've searched the net several times but found nothing relevant.
/Mikael

Paul Smedley

Quote from: miturbide on 2012.02.10, 19:53:41
(uhm.. I'm not sure if I saw the source code of this driver on the VirtualBox svn - https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Additions/)

Pretty sure it's not - I once asked Knut about it, and it's currently closed source.  I wanted to try and enable mouse wheel scrolling.....

Andi

Hi Andi

I have here eCS 2.1 on Win7 x64 Virtualbox and the mouse pointer seems not to have that problem when resizing a window (check screenshot). Let me know if it is that what you mean.
Martin, I use it vice versa - eCS = HOST, WinXP is guest. I've installed the guest additions which comes packed with the eCS version. Unfortunately our eCS vbox version is rather old now. So I fear I can not install the latest guest additions from sun. Or did someone tried that?

xchris

@Andi

I mainly use the VirtualPC 2007 SP1, as I had a lot of problems with the Vbox (guest os (eCS) could not see the shares from windows...) also mouse integration works very well !

chris

Andi

Quote from: xchris on 2012.02.11, 12:32:53
@Andi

I mainly use the VirtualPC 2007 SP1, as I had a lot of problems with the Vbox (guest os (eCS) could not see the shares from windows...) also mouse integration works very well !

chris
We do have Innotek VPC5.1 only for eCS. Although it works very well with W2k guest here, it's a lot slower than VBOX.

On Win2k und XP hosts I use VirtualPC2004 with eCS guest without problems. But do not use netbios with that, only ftp.

xchris

ouch my mistake!! i mis-read that your using XP as HOST...

chris

Paul Smedley

Hi Andi,

Quote from: Andi on 2012.02.11, 11:32:32
Hi Andi

Martin, I use it vice versa - eCS = HOST, WinXP is guest. I've installed the guest additions which comes packed with the eCS version. Unfortunately our eCS vbox version is rather old now. So I fear I can not install the latest guest additions from sun. Or did someone tried that?

I doubt it will work - at least here, each time I update vbox on Ubuntu, it warns me about out of date additions, and recommends using ones that match the vbox version...