• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Help requested to install Warp 4 on a Pentium box

Started by leng, 2007.11.04, 10:15:32

Previous topic - Next topic

leng

Hello Folks,
               First, my apologies if this has been discussed before elsewhere; but I cant seem to find
a relevant thread detailing the specifics of installing Warp4 on a newer type of pc.

1) The Pc is a Pentium 4 (478pin) 3.0ghz northwood cpu on a new Asrock Pi65g mainboard( Intel 865pe  chipset,), 512 mb pc400 ddr ram, 1 Matrox G400 Vga card, and Creative Audigy 2 soundcard, 320Gb Seagate IDE hard disk, 1.44 floppy drive, 3com 3c905b nic, a Samsung r/w cd player, and the Pc connects to the net via a adsl router on a lan of 3 machines.

2) I used the updated Warp install diskettes from Warp Updates International to let it see drives greater
    than 40g.
    So far so good, the installation went smoothly through all 3 diskettes and asked to reboot.
    On reboot I get to see the Warp Logo but there it hangs, the drive light remains on but nothing I can
    do to complete installation. I had tried installation n times and tinkered with the bios here and there
    to no effect.

3) If my reading is right I am supposed to use the Mcp 4.52 kernel or something along those lines.
    I believe I do have one of these 4.5x kernels from the many free IBM test kernels which used to be
    distributed but, sadly, not any more. If this is so am I supposed to copy the 4.5x kernel into the diskette?
    I am terribly rusty about all this so please excuse me. But to get to the desktop is paramount at this
    point in time, therafter I have lots of OS2 software bought form Indelible Blue (a Great company alas), to
    install.

4) I do have a regd copy of Ecs 1.2 which is used on another production pc but on this new Asrock board
    I want only the original Warp4 installed (nostalgia).
    Is is doable? What fixes/files do I need to use etc?

All help/advice would be gratefully received and thanks to all in advance.

sincerely

leng

Pete

Hi leng

Not being an Intel user I have no idea if that P4 is a 64bit CPU ?

If the answer is "Yes" then you will have problems as the 1st version of "OS/2" that can install to a 64bit system is eCS1.2R...

However, it is possible but requires a bit of mucking about including installing to a drive in a 32bit system and then transferring the drive to the 64 bit box. I suggest you Google for details...

If "No" to the 64bit question then I would guess that you need to get updated IDE drivers onto the Installed system I suspect the Install used files from the CD rather than from the Install Disks, you may want to boot from floppy and then check which files got installed into \os2\boot - compare with the Install disks.

You may also want to get hold of the latest "Dani" IDE drivers, danis506.add and daniatapi.flt, which are usually found on http://hobbes.nmsu.edu - a useful address for all sorts of apps/drivers etc

OTOH: Why not install from eCS1.2? - using Advanced Install you can end up with a Warp4 Desktop. Have a look-see by running the install.

Regards

Pete

S.SubZero

There was a special (contract) fix for Convenience Pack 2, for installing on P4's with over 512MB RAM (google p4fix.zip).  I don't know if your system would need this since you're at 512MB.

I run Warp 4.52 in Virtualbox 1.5.0 on Vista x64.  There's no hardware accelerated video (for what?) and the sound is a little wonky but otherwise it's as good as OS/2 gets. 

(for Pete, the P4 Northwood is a circa 1993 processor.  It's 32-bit.)

El Vato

Quote from: S.SubZero on 2007.11.05, 04:52:33
[...]
I run Warp 4.52 in Virtualbox 1.5.0 on Vista x64.  [...]

(for Pete, the P4 Northwood is a circa 1993 processor.  It's 32-bit.)

If you have not installed OS/2 on actual hardware, your advise is akin to a blind man leading other blind man (men).  Your version of OS/2 needs to be upgraded --even in a virtualized environment-- before your input is of any value to an user.

Saijin_Naib

Leng, your hardware sounds very similar to my setup, and I have had minimal issue with installing eCS 1.2r and above on it, but I do not have a CD copy of w4 around to test it, so I cant say for sure, but you should be able to do 1.2r quite easily. And, no, the Northwood p4 @ 3.0ghz is most certainly NOT 64bit, so no worries there.

leng

Hello Folks,
               Much appreciate all those who replied to my request on installing Warp4(original) on newer hardware.
To answer the post myself - from what I have gathered on the Net, it would appear that the Warp4 original version will have hardly a chance to install without problems on newer hardware - ie: pc's with large disks, newer bioses, newer peripheral cards etc.

I have found the answer in a program called "updcd"  here:

http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm

This Rexx script program by Zsolt Kádár would be the solution for anyone wishing to install the original Warp4
into modern systems. Yes, it takes some work to gather all the necessary updates/drivers etc
but installing Warp4 original using his program seems to have
been successfully done by many people. And I am convinced now it can be done.

I didnt want to use Ecs as I already have a working copy running on a modern system and I respect their
license, that's why I wanted to use the original Warp4 of which I have 3 licensed copies. In any case
installing Ecs was a breeze on a modern system as Serenity has done an excellent job of making it work with newer hardware.

So to answer my question myself - the best bet for anyone wishing to install the original Warp4 on newer
hardware, it is critical to get Zsolt Kadar's - updcd program- fill it with all necessary updates etc and with a bit of work it becomes possible to have Warp4 original running on newest hardware.

Best Regards to all & thanks once again.

leng