• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SNAP won't accept higher resolutions

Started by melf, 2012.04.20, 20:08:31

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

I have a Thinkpad T43 (2669-83G), max lcd display resolution is 1024*768. Now I bought a second-hand T43 (2668-84G) as a spare part computer and found out it had a display allowing 1400*1050 px which I want to use. In both computers there is an ATI X300 supported by SNAP.

However, while the higher resolutions can be used in Windows and in eCS with Panorama, SNAP doesn't make it. Instead I just get a bigger desktop out of the boundaries of the screen. Someone who recognize the problem??
/Mikael

aschn

Hi Mikael,

usually SNAP works well (or should I say best?) with X300 chips.
1400x1050 is of course supported.

BTW: I have a SNAP problem with my HacIntosh, a T60 with Intel
graphic: 1400x1050 is listed in the resolutions list, but selecting it
never works. After that a resolution below is selected.

I found that exact problem in a forum, but without a resolution. Since
the T60 is used for other OS', it isn't really a problem for me.

Andreas

melf

Well,for me no resolution above 1024*768 works well. not just the 1400*1050. Tips on the ecomstation.ru unfortunately don't work.
/Mikael

aschn

That sounds like a HW defect.

Andreas

melf

Andreas I suppose you mean HardWare defect or..? But it works with Panorama and in Win - how can it be a hardware defect?
/Mikael

aschn

Usually SNAP works well, so what could be the difference on your machine?

Andreas

melf

I have no idea in fact. But as two video drivers, a winXP driver and Panorama in eCs, can make use of higher resolutions it seems to me that the explanation is in SNAP. Some registers that think that the max resolution is the same as at when installing eCS? Some failure to recognise display capabilities?

ADDON: Running panorama now in 1400*1050. PM Graphic marks (sysbench 095c) is 73 against 438 when running SNAP. However youtube (flash) and movies (in VLC) run fine also in fullscreen, which I find quite amazing.
/Mikael

melf

It showed up that Lenovo had an ATI video driver for X300 (I searched on 2668-84G). It is an older version 2.3.2. This driver works on all resolutions. It's not as fast as the latest SNAP but give me PM-graphic marks at 226, which in all cases are much better than Panorama.
/Mikael

Andi

Melf you have installed latest 3.18 build 505 SNAP and selected (Standard monitor types) Unknown monitor? Sometimes I found it useful to uninstall all video (ALT-F1 - VGA) and then reinstall SNAP. And NOT let SNAP detecting the monitor. I'm running T42 with X300 in 1600x1200 and T41 with ATI 9600 in 1400x1050 without problems.

melf

It is strange. This procedure made no difference. I also turned off monitor detection. But when I install the older SNAP everything works fine! I won't bother any more now, the current solution is perfectly ok.  I'll do a fresh install of eCS when 2.2 comes out. Interesting to see if that makes a difference (but i doubt it!)

/M
/Mikael

RobertM

Hi Melf,

Which version worked?

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

melf

2.3.2, build 445
/M
/Mikael

bottomtop

For what its worth I have the same problem as melf does, but on a compaq/HP tc4200 notebook.  That is, the borders of the screen on higher resoultions extend beyond limits of the screen.   This problem also occurs when an external monitor is used, until I use the "advanced" button in the "Screen" object to set the output to crt and then set the scaling.  But it does not seem to remember this when I re-boot.  The fix described in the PDF guide in the snap folder of loading device=x:\os2\mdos\vprmi.sys doesn't work, nor does fiddling with gaoption lcdusebios.

Having said all that I don't really mind because 1024x768 is adequate for me on the laptop screen and I rarely use an external monitor.

melf

I also still have the problems you describe bottomtop. I can use just highest resolution.

But just for information, my other problem is solved. Apparently SNAP used old settings (from when the HDD was in my T43 with max 1024 res.) when reinstalled. I deleted  C:\OS2\DRIVERS\SNAP\CONFIG and then reinstalled SNAP 3.18 again and it worked. The reason that the older SNAP did work was that it made it entries separately in C:\OS2\DRIVERS\SNAP.
/Mikael