• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Asus EEE PC 701 and eCS

Started by BigWarpGuy, 2007.11.21, 21:08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

BigWarpGuy

http://www.asus.com
I just recently received my EEE PC 701 that I had ordered. There is instructions on how to install WinXP in the manual. It runs a version of Linux. Can one install eCS from a usb cd or dvd drive? Does it have the minimum for eCS?

kim

Well, I actually found some more information about this system and it actually looks quite nice; the specs are simple but would run OS2 without any problems; so overall quite nice; looking forward to see someone making an OS2 review on it:

• Display: 7"
  • Processor: Intel mobile CPU (Intel 910 chipset, 900MHz Dothan Pentium M)
  • Memory: 512MB RAM
  • Storage: 8GB or 16GB flash hard drive
  • Webcam: 300K pixel video camera
  • Battery life: 3 hours using 4-cell battery
  • Weight: 2lbs
  • Dimensions: 8.9 in x 6.5 in x 0.82 in - 1.37 in (width x depth x thickness)
  • Ports: 3 USB ports, 1 VGA out, SD card reader, modem, Ethernet, headphone out, microphone in

Saijin_Naib

I was looking at the EEE pc as an eCS box but the whole no CD drive thing really... Im not sure how I would go about getting eCS onto there.

Shai

Cool,
I found out about this subnotebook some days ago and already planned to buy it when it's released in Germany this December (the first affordable subnotebook...).
I think the main method to install a new operating system is to use a bootable USB stick - I didn't read anything about the possibility to boot from an attached CD/DVD drive, so we would have to transfer the eCS boot floppies to a bootable USB stick and include USB CD/DVD drivers. If that's possible then why not transfer the entire eCS boot CD to USB flash? Unfortunately as far as I know, you cannot just "copy" an arbitrary bootable CD ISO.
I think that resource might be interesting: http://os4you.org/wiki-usb-boot-en.html
It's a bit risky. Maybe it won't work that way.

greetings,
Robin

Shai

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12654/

this guy installed Mac OS X on his eeePC. He simply attached an USB DVD drive and set the BIOS to boot from USB. So that's supported. It should be quite easy to install eCS the same way (once you've got such a DVD/CD drive)
@BigWarpGuy: If you get it to work, maybe you could tell us whether you can actually use all the hardware. Is the graphics chipset supported by SNAP (not running in VESA mode)? (If not - I think - Panorama VESA would be preferable.) Is the WLAN chipset supported by genmac? etc... The sound chipset is AC97 so that won't be a problem.

greetings,
Robin

BigWarpGuy

Quote from: Shai on 2007.11.22, 08:31:29
Cool,
I found out about this subnotebook some days ago and already planned to buy it when it's released in Germany this December (the first affordable sub notebook...).
I think the main method to install a new operating system is to use a bootable USB stick - I didn't read anything about the possibility to boot from an attached CD/DVD drive, so we would have to transfer the eCS boot floppies to a bootable USB stick and include USB CD/DVD drivers. If that's possible then why not transfer the entire eCS boot CD to USB flash? Unfortunately as far as I know, you cannot just "copy" an arbitrary bootable CD ISO.
I think that resource might be interesting: http://os4you.org/wiki-usb-boot-en.html
It's a bit risky. Maybe it won't work that way.

greetings,
Robin

The manual that comes with it shows how to install WinXP from an USB drive. If one can install eCS using an USB drive, it should be able to install eCS onto it.

Shai

QuoteThe manual that comes with it shows how to install WinXP from an USB drive. If one can install eCS using an USB drive, it should be able to install eCS onto it.

I don't think installing eCS this way will be as easy as installing Windows. See, you cannot write the *raw* contents of a CD (i.e. a boot CD used to install an operating system) to an USB stick because CDs have special filesystems. As far as I know, creating an USB stick with a Windows Installer involves creating a FAT or NTFS partition at the stick, making it bootable and then copying all the files from a Windows CD to the stick. What exactly does your manual say about that?
As I said, it should be possible to install it that way but it's not very straight forward and it may be tricky.
A method - however - which will almost certainly work (as the OS X installing article pointed out) is to use an external USB CD/DVD drive, changing your boot sequence so "USB" is at the top and then simply booting your eCS CD. That should be pretty easy. I think for that purpose I'm going to buy a cheap CD/DVD drive mobile rack and attach one of my old drives to it - I won't really need a real portable CD/DVD drive for that computer. Too bad I cannot use the PCMCIA/PCCARD CD drive I've already got

greetings,
Robin

Saijin_Naib

I read somewhere that someone said that a USB install would not work because of how the eCS/ OS/2 routine switches the USB driver control during the install process or something. I dont recall exactly what was said, but I was left with the impression that a USB install is impossible, the only other way being NetBUI install or imaging the files to the disk and using a command line to start the install.

Robert Deed

OS/2 is bootable from USB, however you cannot have the USB drivers loaded during the install.  Then the USB bootable device will just show up as a removable drive (the system doesn't need to know it is USB).  This works unless you have a buggy bios.

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.11.25, 03:01:09
I read somewhere that someone said that a USB install would not work because of how the eCS/ OS/2 routine switches the USB driver control during the install process or something. I dont recall exactly what was said, but I was left with the impression that a USB install is impossible, the only other way being NetBUI install or imaging the files to the disk and using a command line to start the install.

Saijin_Naib

So concievably, OS/2 could be installed/booted from an image on a flash drive onto the eeePC?

BigWarpGuy

Quote from: Shai on 2007.11.25, 01:11:00
QuoteThe manual that comes with it shows how to install WinXP from an USB drive. If one can install eCS using an USB drive, it should be able to install eCS onto it.

I don't think installing eCS this way will be as easy as installing Windows. See, you cannot write the *raw* contents of a CD (i.e. a boot CD used to install an operating system) to an USB stick because CDs have special filesystems. As far as I know, creating an USB stick with a Windows Installer involves creating a FAT or NTFS partition at the stick, making it bootable and then copying all the files from a Windows CD to the stick. What exactly does your manual say about that?
As I said, it should be possible to install it that way but it's not very straight forward and it may be tricky.
A method - however - which will almost certainly work (as the OS X installing article pointed out) is to use an external USB CD/DVD drive, changing your boot sequence so "USB" is at the top and then simply booting your eCS CD. That should be pretty easy. I think for that purpose I'm going to buy a cheap CD/DVD drive mobile rack and attach one of my old drives to it - I won't really need a real portable CD/DVD drive for that computer. Too bad I cannot use the PCMCIA/PCCARD CD drive I've already got

greetings,
Robin

There is a typo on my part. It should have read 'usb cd or dvd drive' instead of just 'usb drive'. The instructions show how to install from an USB cd or dvd drive.  :(   

Saijin_Naib

Have you tried installing eCS yet?

BigWarpGuy

I have not tried it yet. I might next year. I still have to get an USB DVD/CD drive. There is one at USB Geek.
http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0663 I will check other places too.  8)

BigWarpGuy

http://forum.eeeusers.com Here is a forum for users of the EEE PC. I asked them to add an 'other' section for those interested in using eCS on the EEE PC.  8)

Pete

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.11.26, 07:20:37
So concievably, OS/2 could be installed/booted from an image on a flash drive onto the eeePC?

You may want to have a look at Project LPWS http://www.os2world.com/content/view/14543/2/ to see if it that works.

Regards

Pete