• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

New Programs

Started by stevegarrett, 2012.05.20, 04:03:14

Previous topic - Next topic

ivan

Hi Joop, 

How do you get The Gimp to work with HOBLink? 

ivan

RobertM

Quote from: Joop on 2012.05.22, 23:36:54
Beyond a certain file size you can get troubles with Embellish. If its crashing regularly then the database entry is faulty.

There are a few other causes - all related to memory usage:
(1) The number of undo "steps" can cause issues since Embellish storing multiple undo sets eats a LOT of memory
(2) The amount of *physical* RAM seems to play a big factor - Embellish is more prone to crash as soon as it hits the swap file.
(3) The amount of addressable RAM available to Embellish of course plays a factor too (and like the other two, is all inter-related).

Besides ensuring nothing else is eating memory when I use Embellish (Firefox, OpenOffice, etc), and running it on a machine with a lot of physical RAM, I limit undo levels to zero or one when performing operations that I know will eat what RAM is left. And save multiple copies (ie: "SomeEmbellishFile_2012-05-20-14-33-00.emb") that way, if a file is corrupted during saving, I can go to the earlier version.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

dryeo

Quote from: ivan on 2012.05.23, 00:06:00

You need the X11 DLLs (ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/xfree86/4.5.0/ the X450lib package I think ) then just start it gimp -display 127.0.0.1:0.0 as I remember.
It works much better under X if you want to go to the hassle of installing it. In theory you can even use a recent Linux video driver, in practice I'd guess the interface has changed and you'd get unresolved symbols or such from the ELF loader.

melf

Alex Taylor has made a nice easy-go package to set up GIMP 2.2.8 with HoblinkX: http://www.altsan.org/os2/utils/index.html
/Mikael

Joop

Quote from: ivan on 2012.05.23, 00:06:00
Hi Joop, 

ivan
You have HOBlink installed? There is a X11ENV.CMD file in the root of the disc on which you installed HOBlink.

Program object
Path and filename: [drive:]\X11ENV.CMD
Parameters: [drive:]\usr\bin\gimp-2.2.exe

I've all on one drive, in that case the driveletters are the same.

That's it, now you can use gimp with other programs too without switching between full screen sessions.