• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Innotek Font System and Seamonkey & other OS/2 Apps

Started by sdennis, 2007.12.08, 22:50:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi710

Quote from: Ben on 2007.12.13, 18:15:02
One would like to think that some small adjustments would fix them, but that's non-programmer speak. :-\[/color]

I think in general it would be nice to have the latest beta version updated and brought to GA level, so it can ship with eCS. I have the impression that it is primarily memory leaks that are bringing instability here (too many tabs in SeaMonkey open simultaneously for instance sometimes results in fonts being completely messed up).

Ben

Quote from: Andi710 on 2007.12.13, 19:04:53
I think in general it would be nice to have the latest beta version updated and brought to GA level, so it can ship with eCS. I have the impression that it is primarily memory leaks that are bringing instability here (too many tabs in SeaMonkey open simultaneously for instance sometimes results in fonts being completely messed up).
My wife uses SeaMonkey on her machine and she sees the same problem.

Also, I find similar problems with FireFox WRT the tabs particularly if it's opened for any significant period of time, however, a memory monitor never gives any indication that FireFox is consuming memory in a problematic fashion. i.e. a memory leak.

I do find that most of the FireFox problems under OS/2 result from the use of Innotek's FontLib, for after about half the crashes, the font rendering is disabled, (for all software), and only a reboot will get it back. 8(

RobertM

One BIG issue I have found (and it isnt so much Innotek's FontLib) is certain fonts make it more prone to crash... especially crappy cheap ATM fonts - as well as problematic TTF fonts. Those same fonts cause problems under Warp before that in certain instances (going through them in Embellish, etc), but can usually be recovered from by restarting the particular app... using IFL/IFE, the situation is less forgiving of such problems, and less forgiving of "faulty" font files.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Ben

Quote from: RobertM on 2007.12.13, 23:27:23
One BIG issue I have found (and it isnt so much Innotek's FontLib) is certain fonts make it more prone to crash... especially crappy cheap ATM fonts - as well as problematic TTF fonts.
I've seen that problem too.

To counter it I switched all my fonts, (back when Mozilla first came out), to the basic, clean OS/2 fonts, those being; System Monospaced, WarpSans and Helv. I sometimes use Arial, SystemVIO and Verdana, none of which I've experienced problems with.

However, I've found that Non-Finished Sans, Frazzled-Edged VIO, and HackNSlash Serif fonts will quickly lead to a crash. 8)

sdennis

Quote from: Ben on 2007.12.14, 00:18:13
I've seen that problem too.

To counter it I switched all my fonts, (back when Mozilla first came out), to the basic, clean OS/2 fonts, those being; System Monospaced, WarpSans and Helv. I sometimes use Arial, SystemVIO and Verdana, none of which I've experienced problems with.

However, I've found that Non-Finished Sans, Frazzled-Edged VIO, and HackNSlash Serif fonts will quickly lead to a crash. 8)

I just installed IFL with Word Pro and have had no problems yet.  I tend to write websites using Verdana, as it's considered a "safe font" used between Windows, Macs and OS/2-eCS, so my website(s) look fairly identical.

Like I said, no problems /yet/.  Let's hope there isn't any.  Once I get my other computer up and running (hopefully tomorrow), I'll be using LSS a lot more often and we'll see how stable it is.

--Sean
OS/2: Shuts gates, opens windows.

RobertM

My current problem is that I have over 1200 fonts installed, and I use FontFolder to manage them... (using the IBM Font Palette at this point would be kinda insane). So, for a while I have been wanting to "start from scratch" but have tried that in the past with semi-disasterous results (accidentally removing OS/2 Core Fonts). Some of the fonts don't seem to be in the OS/2 Font Install routine either... (and it is kind of hard to reinstall missing fonts when you cant see what you are doing).

Preferences for ATM or TTF (or both)? Anyone? Trying to find a good solution that works in Embellish (including rotating) as well as in IFL stuff...

-Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

warpcafe

Hi gang,

for the memory leak issues, I would like to point your attention to the article
http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0207H/feature_3.html
and the follow-up part 2
http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0507H/feature_3.html
on the VOICE newsletter, which both handle memory details of OS/2|eCS in general and also with a special focus on Mozilla-based browsers... I can't tell for the font-related specifics however.

Hope this helps (to some extent)

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

StefanZ

This is how my desktop looks like 8) :

(needless to say I use it without any real problems)